Aquaphish's 40 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Aquaphish's 40 gal

As I continue to redo my aquascape I will be adding to this thread.

The pictures will consist of the old look and of course the new look as it matures and changes. I will also be adding information such as water and nutrient parameters for anyone that finds the information informative.

My first picture here is what the 40 gal. tank looked like before the change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aquaphish; 01-22-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt
nice tans are the bulb over driven

Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lookin good so far - what would really make it is if you added a java-fern wood behind the anubias, and some crypt. balanasae behind that. Also maybe a foreground of riccia fluitans or glosso in the open gravel.
I have this in my 37 gallon w/ some water sprite between the java fern, and glosso in the front; it looks HOT HOT HOT. ... the different greens make it really spectacular

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 02:29 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Two nice aquascapes! I can't decide which one I like better!

The newer one...of course!

There is a lot of potential there Aquaphish. I can't wait to see where you bring it!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I want to thank for the comments so far!!! I will be adding more sooner than later!!!

As for the foreground I do have some Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass) growing in the right corner by the driftwood. Here is a closeup of that.

And I do have 2 Cryptocryne Wendtii Reds growing.

OK this is what I have going so far. Anubias nanas on driftwood (which I do cut and sell BTW) Bacopa Caroliniana (behind the anubias and in the right back corner), Mayaca Fluitans (large plant in the middle), Rotala Indica Red (center left) java moss on driftwood, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, a small but growing patch of Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass) which I would like to see cover the front empty spot. I also have some Ludwigia Repens hidden behind the driftwood with the moss along with some Hydrophilia Diformis. Both were just planted earlier in the week. The Ludwigia has some new red leaves starting too!!!

I plan on getting some Blyxia Japonica to place in front of the moss covered
wood. Also some Rotala Wallichii would go nice behind the anubias.

Last edited by aquaphish; 01-22-2006 at 11:56 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 05:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Are those regular nanas or petite? I really like the Anubias clump.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 12:22 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Your moss is so neat and orderly! Can I ask if you did anything in arrangement or trimming to get that? My moss seems to grow out anyway it likes and be super unruly.

Those anubias are really impressive.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

The Anubias are regular Nanas, I believe!! The leaves are about 1.5 to2 inches long.

As for the Java Moss, I just started it out. What I did is to get several pieces of the moss laid it on the wood. Then with some very light fishing line (2lbs test) I tied it down. When you do tie it make sure you wrap the line very tight and close. Each winding of the line was no more than 1/4 in from the next. Doing it this way the moss will lay down and will grow horizontal like mine is. A good trimming weekly or bi-weekly will also help.

Should have taken pictures of the moss being tied. When I do some more I will post pics.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

30 Day update

It's been one month since I have posted any update to my tank. So I am posting some pictures taken today. They will show some growth of my original plants and new plants.

I started to fill the front center with some small plantlets of Dwarf Hairgrass, but will not really grow in for some time. I added some Lobelia Cardinalis in front of the driftwood on the left side. And also planted some Hotinia something or another. Don't remember the correct name of the plant right now. Will be doing some rearrainging of the plants this week and will update at that time too.

Also in addition to the plants I also got some new little fishies.

Last edited by aquaphish; 04-11-2006 at 06:52 AM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have to ask.. How did it take your nana to become othat huge mass.. It looks great
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy
I have to ask.. How did it take your nana to become othat huge mass.. It looks great
The anubias started out with just three plants. I tied them onto a piece of driftwood, which is under there somewhere, and just watched them grow over the last 2 years. I have been doing some massive trimming and selling from them too, but that is for another forum (swap&sell).

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Nanas will actually grow quite fast (at least for anubias <sp>) under high light and CO2. It's not too difficult to grow an anubias "shrub". If you are trying to gow them under anything but high light and CO2, it's gonna take awhile.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
This is one of my favorite journals! I love that aquarium. Everything is so healthy! The Anubias are real prize winners.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:57 AM

that lobelia is looking great!
mine is a total mess because my puffer routinely takes bites out of it.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for all the positive comments!!!

The Lobelia is a new plant that I just planted about 1 week ago. It seems to be doing just fine, but I would like to move it to the front right corner where I have the Dwarf Hairgrass cultivating. I want to move the hairgrass into the middle foreground. I started to move some of it on Sunday but just did not complete the move. When I do finish I will post some pictures.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode