theLordOfTheFish's first high tech 55 forrest planted tank! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By TheLordOfTheFish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
theLordOfTheFish's first high tech 55 forrest planted tank!

After 1 year of research and bribing my wife, it is finally time. I got my new tank. My experience is mostly theoretical but I do have a nice looking planted 6 gallon low tech nano tank. To make this work, I will need YOUR help! Certainty of death, small chance of success, right?

Here it is, my custom made 55 gallon acrylic tank. I really wanted the 90p ADA one but with a 18 month old toddler, this was the responsible choice. It's flawlessly crafted and I am very happy with it.
36 inches long, 20 wide 18 high:

I've got it from Underwater Depot in LA. Great store with knowledgable staff and healthy fish.

The rest of the equipment will come from Underwater Depot, Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica (ADA store), Nilocg.com, GLA Alan Le from this forum and Bulkreef supply. Here's what I got so far:

The key equipment are:
- Eheim 4+ 350 external filter
- Apex controller with PH and temp probe
- DOS dosing to connect to the apex
- CO2 controller by Alan Le and CO2 reactor by nilocg
- 2x satellite pro +

Here's a closer look at the CO2 system. It's not yet set up.

And here's one of the satellite pro + lights:

The plan is to create a lush forrest aquarium with a grassy field in the back and side on the right The aquarium will be easily visible from the right side as well so I'll have to plan to make it look from that angle as well. This weekend, I'll go shopping for wood and stones. Meanwhile, I am facing two issues. The main one is my floor. It's super uneven. I shim-ed the tank from multiple sides and got it close to level. It's still a bit off and I wanted to check with you guys if this good to go or if I should keep working on the level:

The other issue is the eheim outflow. I need some recommendation how I could elegantly install the spray bar without bending the tube too much. I'd like to keep all equipment on the left side of the tank. Here's a pic explaining what I'm trying to do:

That's all for now, thanks for reading. Any advice is very welcome. This forum gave me so much knowledge, I figured it would be fun to do this together I'll promise to update this as often as my hectic real life lets me.
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Great looking build, excited to see where it will go! Following this one!

As long as you are leveling the stand, and not the tank to the stand, it's looking good to me if your are comfortable with it. You can always flood it, see how it is and drain it again until you are ready. Just make sure whatever is supporting the stand can handle the weight of water, sand rocks, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. I'm filling the tank this weekend to see if the level-ness bothers me. if not, good to go for hardscape!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Resurrecting this thread. Work has taken over my life and I got delayed but here's the first try at my new layout. "The edge of the forrest". My plan is to go super thick planted on the left side of the pathway, tall stems behind the big wood. Right side is a bit more light, grasses and smaller plants. lots of tiny variants of anubias in the cracks and foreground. Maybe something red on the top of the left wood.

Anyway, any feedback welcome. I had to design the tank in a way where it is pleasing to the eye from the right side as well as that side faces the dining table.

ADA Aquasoil Amazonia and some powder type on top. Below, ADA power sand, Bacter 100, Clear Super and Tourmaline BC

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plants have been ordered.

From Glassaqua (GREAT customer service!)

Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Bolbitis Difformis ‘Mini’
Rotala Indica
Potamogeton Gayi
Ludwigia Natans
Alternanthera Reineckii ‘Mini'
Ludwigia Arcuata
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo’
Micranthemum Micranthemoides
Cryptocoryne Parva
Hydrocotyle Tripartita
Utricularia Graminifolia
Christmas Moss
Marsilea Angustifolia Tissue Culture

And from equally great Han Aquarium, a ton of anubias nana petite, "micro", "pangolino and one anubias nana Snow White. Planting is the weekend of October 6th!

Tags
55 gallon, apex, co2, forrest, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode