90 Gallon Custom - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 412Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks FreshPuff and Mike!, I say go for it! I tend to lean towards this style since I will inevitably collect too many species of plants and it lets me replace and move them around a bit easier.
Mike! likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 20
Saw the first sign of algae when I got home from a trip a few days ago. I had raised the water level in the overflow box a bit to help reduce co2 off gas but went slightly too high and the skimming suffered.

How much the overflow weir falls is a big factor in co2 loss, dialed in now with skimming working.

I thought I better get some shrimp in there finally to help out, seems like it just got out of ballance with the protein film. The algae is basically gone now, not that there was very much to begin with. It was still worth noting since there has been zero visible algae till now. I also started dosing macro and micro ferts since nitrates were bottoming out (could have induced the algae too).

Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice concept and well executed.

Growth looks good from only being planted a short time ago.

Will be very curious to see where this goes from here.

Subscribed.

------------------

post #34 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Nice concept and well executed.

Growth looks good from only being planted a short time ago.

Will be very curious to see where this goes from here.

Subscribed.
Thanks, I am very surprised at the growth so far especially since as far as I can tell theres not many nutrients. The aqua soil could be releasing more than I can tell but the highest nitrates I've tested has been 5ppm with 0ppm ammonia. Maybe those tissue culture plants do store some nutrients to use for the first little while.
Greggz likes this.

post #35 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still growing in...I want to trim some plants but too busy for maintenance right now unfortunately.

post #36 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

More pics...

I still need to order some fish but didn't have any luck with my fire red shrimp shipment. They were shipped without a heat pack and that day it was just about freezing. Lots of DOA but I thought the rest would be okay...apparently not, only 2 or 3 left now out of 40.

I hope that was the problem and it's nothing in my water, time will tell, might try another batch of shrimp first.
Greggz, rzn7z7, chayos00 and 2 others like this.

post #37 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

First major trim, went away for a week and came back to a bunch of algae. It was going so well... It's not terrible but the battle begins I guess, I just wish I was home to catch it sooner. It must of been from some dead shrimps and that I changed out the filter socks and fiber before I left.
Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 1 others like this.

post #38 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

Amazing job.
post #39 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSFL View Post
Amazing job.
Thanks! It's been fun.

post #40 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Love this tank, wish I had the skills to DIY a stand and plumbing like that!

Probably a silly question, but do you inject CO2 into the tank and remove equipment for photos, or do you manage to keep all that hidden in the sump cupboard as well?

What are you planning on stocking once you can place an order?

Journal

post #41 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Algae Grower

He probably mixes the CO2 in the canister. You can buy that in eBay and eliminate the diffuser.
post #42 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Love this tank, wish I had the skills to DIY a stand and plumbing like that!

Probably a silly question, but do you inject CO2 into the tank and remove equipment for photos, or do you manage to keep all that hidden in the sump cupboard as well?

What are you planning on stocking once you can place an order?
Thanks! Yes, I have a 20lb co2 tank crammed into the cabinet. I am injecting via the needle wheel method and get a 1.2ph drop within an hour. Everything is in the sump which needs to be organized still to look good. I have used co2 reactors before on a 120gal and always thought my co2 could be more efficient since I was just using the output of a Ehiem 2217 which was underpowered. I do like the simplicity of just sticking the co2 output into the needle wheel venturi and your done.

At some point I may get one of those fancy flowmeters I keep reading about to replace my old needle valve and see how much co2 I am actually injecting. I know its alot but I also know theres alot off gassing due to the uncovered sump with a trickle filter.

Here is a picture of the plumbing you can't see in my other photos.
hbosman, Greggz and burr740 like this.

post #43 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As for fish I will probably have a bunch of ottos, around 100 green neons, a school of glass catfish and I will think about putting in the 4 dantum angelfish I currently have to make the smaller fish school together. I just don't want them to eat the shrimp and neons too much so not forsure yet. I would love to get some whiptail catfish down the road too.

post #44 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Love everything about this tank, from the equipment to the aquascape.

Very, very nice and keeps getting better and better.

------------------
post #45 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Love everything about this tank, from the equipment to the aquascape.

Very, very nice and keeps getting better and better.
Thanks Greggz, I appreciate it. I got to looking at your tank and it took me down memory lane with rainbows. I had to go find an old photo of some Melanotaenia Axelrodi I had when I didn't know so much about the hobby. Your fish and plants look stunning, I really enjoy seeing the full potential of rainbows.
Greggz and burr740 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode