90 Gallon Custom - Page 28 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1380Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #406 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is interesting.

The last time you posted your fert dosing you were at about 27 ppm weekly K (macros + K2CO3).

Mg was about 8 ppm and Fe .45 weekly. And then I think you lowered Mg again after that.

Just saying the K looks relatively high already, and Mg and Fe seem to be good levels.

But hey, like you said, I don't know what I am doing either!!

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

In the meantime, tank is looking great as usual. So whatever you are doing, I wouldn't change too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
That's how I feel when I read all you veteran's posts! I'm semi winging it all. Beautiful tank by the way!
Thank you! I think we all wing it to some extent, there are lots of variables to consider on any given problem. Curing an issue in your own tank where you can see results really helps to understand a bit more than reading all the advice I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I think your on the right track. Its an induced K deficiency. Ive cured it in H pinna before by lowering micros, Mg is probably the next likely suspect.

Tank looks awesome, its a real stunner!
Reassuring to know all my lurking around planted tank topics might be paying off. Guidance from users like yourself is a very valuable aspect of this forum.

I am looking forward to your AGA submission this year as always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
This is interesting.

The last time you posted your fert dosing you were at about 27 ppm weekly K (macros + K2CO3).

Mg was about 8 ppm and Fe .45 weekly. And then I think you lowered Mg again after that.

Just saying the K looks relatively high already, and Mg and Fe seem to be good levels.

But hey, like you said, I don't know what I am doing either!!

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

In the meantime, tank is looking great as usual. So whatever you are doing, I wouldn't change too much.
Pinholes in the H. Pinnatifida have been an issue for quite a while. The Hygro compact got them too when it was in the tank. No other plant seems to have that particular issue but overall I get a lot of lower leaves that shed from various other species. One of the dilemmas I have is how dense this tank is planted, generally most of the slow growers form a canopy and really block out most of the light (and flow) from getting to the lower part of the plant. New growth is slow, steady, and healthy so you don't really notice it much except for the constant collection of old leaves in the overflow weir.

Well I'm not convinced it's the light because of some stems in my no tech tank that are just as thick but never eject their lower leaves. Not doing huge changes but I do suspect like Burr that it's a K deficiency and I didn't see much results throwing in an extra 8-10ppm of K after every water change. Next up is to start lowering things that might help the K uptake, so that's where I'm at now. Micros have been at a solid 0.45 Fe since I began dosing, really the only nutrients I haven't touched.

Currently I'm at 11-5-20 for macros but went as low as 3/4 of that for quite a while in the summer. K from the K2CO3 is a question mark since it really has a lot of moisture in it so I didn't know how much K was being added. I just switched to a fresh batch of KHCO3 this time so I'm more confident saying I'm adding 11ppm K with the RO water right now.

The numbers look okay to me as well, should be lots of K so will be interesting to see what happens.
Greggz, ipkiss, zivvel and 4 others like this.

post #408 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 02:29 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Thank you! I think we all wing it to some extent, there are lots of variables to consider on any given problem. Curing an issue in your own tank where you can see results really helps to understand a bit more than reading all the advice I find.

Reassuring to know all my lurking around planted tank topics might be paying off. Guidance from users like yourself is a very valuable aspect of this forum.

I am looking forward to your AGA submission this year as always!

Pinholes in the H. Pinnatifida have been an issue for quite a while. The Hygro compact got them too when it was in the tank. No other plant seems to have that particular issue but overall I get a lot of lower leaves that shed from various other species. One of the dilemmas I have is how dense this tank is planted, generally most of the slow growers form a canopy and really block out most of the light (and flow) from getting to the lower part of the plant. New growth is slow, steady, and healthy so you don't really notice it much except for the constant collection of old leaves in the overflow weir.

Well I'm not convinced it's the light because of some stems in my no tech tank that are just as thick but never eject their lower leaves. Not doing huge changes but I do suspect like Burr that it's a K deficiency and I didn't see much results throwing in an extra 8-10ppm of K after every water change. Next up is to start lowering things that might help the K uptake, so that's where I'm at now. Micros have been at a solid 0.45 Fe since I began dosing, really the only nutrients I haven't touched.

Currently I'm at 11-5-20 for macros but went as low as 3/4 of that for quite a while in the summer. K from the K2CO3 is a question mark since it really has a lot of moisture in it so I didn't know how much K was being added. I just switched to a fresh batch of KHCO3 this time so I'm more confident saying I'm adding 11ppm K with the RO water right now.

The numbers look okay to me as well, should be lots of K so will be interesting to see what happens.

Very interesting comments - almost sounds like you were talking about my tank. Pinholes on the Hygro compact have been an issue in both of my high tech tanks. Your macro levels are interestingly close to what I am currently dosing (10-4-18). I had never considered micro dosing could be an issue. I also add K2CO3 to my RO - I keep it in a tightly sealed mason jar (appears to have no moisture issues).
Think I am going to have to follow along on your thread for awhile. "think we all wing it to some extent, there are lots of variables to consider on any given problem" such a true statement!
Hendy8888, Greggz, zivvel and 1 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #409 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

@Hendy8888, is your dose of 11-5-20 the weekly total? I want to to raise my phosphate to get closer to 6ppm weekly, but if you're dosing 15ppm weekly, I think I could go even higher. I'm seeing stunted growth in some Cupheas and I'm not so sure it is a CO2 problem anymore.
Hendy8888 likes this.

post #410 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Very interesting comments - almost sounds like you were talking about my tank. Pinholes on the Hygro compact have been an issue in both of my high tech tanks. Your macro levels are interestingly close to what I am currently dosing (10-4-18). I had never considered micro dosing could be an issue. I also add K2CO3 to my RO - I keep it in a tightly sealed mason jar (appears to have no moisture issues).
Think I am going to have to follow along on your thread for awhile. "think we all wing it to some extent, there are lots of variables to consider on any given problem" such a true statement!
What Fe are you dosing per week? My K2CO3 is over 2 years old and was stored in a Ziploc bag in the basement. It held more moisture in the summer than winter but was very noticeable. Still shouldn't be a major factor, KH was around 0.75 best I could tell even though I remineralized to 1.0. I'm staying at 0.8 KH with the potassium bicarbonate for now, may raise it back to 1.0 when I have more time to monitor co2.

I had a Ziploc bag of calcium nitrate and the darn thing basically liquefied it was holding so much water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Joe View Post
@Hendy8888, is your dose of 11-5-20 the weekly total? I want to to raise my phosphate to get closer to 6ppm weekly, but if you're dosing 15ppm weekly, I think I could go even higher. I'm seeing stunted growth in some Cupheas and I'm not so sure it is a CO2 problem anymore.
Yes, 11-5-20 is weekly total, I dose daily with an auto doser. At one point I was dosing 13 or 18 ppm/week PO4 I think to try and have a bit stay in the water column for L. Pantanal but the substrate just soaked it up. Have never grown Cupheas so not sure if they are that picky.
Greggz, zivvel and Ordinary Joe like this.

post #411 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 11:20 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@Hendy8888 - my micro dosing is as follows (1st number is per dose, 2nd is weekly);
Fe - 0.15/0.45
B - 0.045/0.135
Mn - 0.06/0.18
Zn - 0.05/0.15
Mo - 0.0017/0.0051
Cu - 0.002/0.0060
Ni - 0.0005/0.0015

As for my Kh level, I dose to reach 1dKh. When I use the API Kh test, first drop is pale blue, second drop is orange (if I remember the color combination correctly) so I can only assume I am reasonably below 2dKh.
Hendy8888, Greggz, zivvel and 1 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #412 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you ever start trimming and things just get carried away?
Greggz, zivvel, rzn7z7 and 6 others like this.

post #413 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Do you ever start trimming and things just get carried away?
YES!

Happens to me often... did this weekend to my low tech tank....

But, I cannot wait to see what you come up with next!

|

post #414 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

You doing a rescape after 2 years?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Hendy8888 and Econde like this.

post #415 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What the ?????????

Oh boy this should be good!!
Hendy8888 and Econde like this.

---
---
post #416 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had to do a double take on that photo update. Wow. Can't wait.
Hendy8888 and Greggz like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #417 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The lava rocks were on borrowed time, they were too infested with algae so I took them out to do a bleach soak. Will probably just plant without a hard scape for a bit, at some point I want to add slate rocks as boundaries.

The tank spawned some good GDA when 2 farlowella passed away unnoticed and a couple plants started to melt a bit. Needed some TLC and a good trim, most of the plants aren't worth selling so I mise well use them myself.

I'm going to have to think about the recent changes I made to the water, some plants and algae are reverting back to previous times, others seemed to have corrected issues. Could just be the decomposing bodies too..
Greggz, Immortal1 and Econde like this.

post #418 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm going to have to think about the recent changes I made to the water, some plants and algae are reverting back to previous times, others seemed to have corrected issues. Could just be the decomposing bodies too..
You think it could also be that different plants have different optimal water parameters??

I've found when some are the happiest, others might rebel. Tough to bring out peak health in many, many species at once. I find that sometimes I need to find a happy place in the middle, or abandon ones that won't behave.

But then again, like you said a good bout of ammonia can wreak some havoc as well.

---
---
post #419 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
You think it could also be that different plants have different optimal water parameters??

I've found when some are the happiest, others might rebel. Tough to bring out peak health in many, many species at once. I find that sometimes I need to find a happy place in the middle, or abandon ones that won't behave.

But then again, like you said a good bout of ammonia can wreak some havoc as well.
Definitely different plants have preferred water, I don't think I changed enough to warrant a rebellion though. The crypt Flamingo looked as if it wanted to melt just a tad and then sprouted new growth everywhere. It ended up maybe losing 1 or 2 leaves. The A.R. mini is just starting to melt and attract bba from the rocks, it's reverted to old ways, recently it's grown pretty well compared to a year ago.

I'm tempted to bump Mg back up and just lower the micros a bit like Burr said. Overall most growth is still very good, it's the algae that has gotten worse. Again could just be a residual effect of the deaths, time will tell.
Greggz and Econde like this.

post #420 of 439 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Teaser pic..
Greggz, Ben Belton, zivvel and 4 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode