That's how I feel when I read all you veteran's posts! I'm semi winging it all. Beautiful tank by the way!
Thank you! I think we all wing it to some extent, there are lots of variables to consider on any given problem. Curing an issue in your own tank where you can see results really helps to understand a bit more than reading all the advice I find.
I think your on the right track. Its an induced K deficiency. Ive cured it in H pinna before by lowering micros, Mg is probably the next likely suspect.
Tank looks awesome, its a real stunner!
Reassuring to know all my lurking around planted tank topics might be paying off. Guidance from users like yourself is a very valuable aspect of this forum.
I am looking forward to your AGA submission this year as always!
This is interesting.
The last time you posted your fert dosing you were at about 27 ppm weekly K (macros + K2CO3).
Mg was about 8 ppm and Fe .45 weekly. And then I think you lowered Mg again after that.
Just saying the K looks relatively high already, and Mg and Fe seem to be good levels.
But hey, like you said, I don't know what I am doing either!!
Will be interesting to see where this goes.
In the meantime, tank is looking great as usual. So whatever you are doing, I wouldn't change too much.
Pinholes in the H. Pinnatifida have been an issue for quite a while. The Hygro compact got them too when it was in the tank. No other plant seems to have that particular issue but overall I get a lot of lower leaves that shed from various other species. One of the dilemmas I have is how dense this tank is planted, generally most of the slow growers form a canopy and really block out most of the light (and flow) from getting to the lower part of the plant. New growth is slow, steady, and healthy so you don't really notice it much except for the constant collection of old leaves in the overflow weir.
Well I'm not convinced it's the light because of some stems in my no tech tank that are just as thick but never eject their lower leaves. Not doing huge changes but I do suspect like Burr that it's a K deficiency and I didn't see much results throwing in an extra 8-10ppm of K after every water change. Next up is to start lowering things that might help the K uptake, so that's where I'm at now. Micros have been at a solid 0.45 Fe since I began dosing, really the only nutrients I haven't touched.
Currently I'm at 11-5-20 for macros but went as low as 3/4 of that for quite a while in the summer. K from the K2CO3 is a question mark since it really has a lot of moisture in it so I didn't know how much K was being added. I just switched to a fresh batch of KHCO3 this time so I'm more confident saying I'm adding 11ppm K with the RO water right now.
The numbers look okay to me as well, should be lots of K so will be interesting to see what happens.