90 Gallon Custom - Page 27 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1380Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #391 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 04:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dear God man. I've never seen limnophila aromatica mini that white looking before, I need to get my hands on it again!

Amazing colors on all the rotalas as well. And I love that eriocaulon you have in front of it too, I want to snag some next time Burr is selling it but I'm always too late!

I have to admit when I started following this journal I thought, "this guy can make a fabulous stand but all he grows is algae!" But the level of plant husbandry, and especially the consistency over time, has been super impressive. Excellent work

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Dear God man. I've never seen limnophila aromatica mini that white looking before, I need to get my hands on it again!

Amazing colors on all the rotalas as well. And I love that eriocaulon you have in front of it too, I want to snag some next time Burr is selling it but I'm always too late!

I have to admit when I started following this journal I thought, "this guy can make a fabulous stand but all he grows is algae!" But the level of plant husbandry, and especially the consistency over time, has been super impressive. Excellent work

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I definitely can grow algae, the hair algae episode was a bit much though. Being away from the tank too much during an algae outbreak makes it tough to combat.

I was hoping the Aromatica mini would grow green when first planted but it definitely is not in this tank. I really like the Erio Lineare, easy, self splitting and unique colour. Definitely grab some if you can.

The tank is over 2 years old now and I am always trying to learn more. We read so much information on the internet but seeing changes in your own tank and trying to correlate it with your husbandry is most valuable.
Greggz, zivvel, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #393 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
I was hoping the Aromatica mini would grow green when first planted but it definitely is not in this tank. I really like the Erio Lineare, easy, self splitting and unique colour. Definitely grab some if you can.
Yeah that color on the Limno is interesting. I've not seen it quite that color before.

Any clues as to why you think it so whitish?
Hendy8888 likes this.

---
---

post #394 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Yeah that color on the Limno is interesting. I've not seen it quite that color before.

Any clues as to why you think it so whitish?
It's always shown what I would call a yellowish purple in this tank, under leaf is all purple. Recently I've seen some on the face book group that looks similar to mine. The white In the above photo may be from lingering effects of the zero NO3 for a few days. I didn't really notice till it got pointed out but definitely looks more pronounced from above.

I want to say light intensity maybe but even with only 4 bulbs at the very edge with 25" from the light it doesn't change to green. So really I don't know, have to see if any plant gurus chime in. Maybe it's all the Cl+ I dose...lol
Greggz likes this.

post #395 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So really I don't know, have to see if any plant gurus chime in. Maybe it's all the Cl+ I dose...lol
So I'm curious. What made you start adding Calcium Chloride?

And did you notice any difference when you did?
Hendy8888 likes this.

---
---
post #396 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
So I'm curious. What made you start adding Calcium Chloride?

And did you notice any difference when you did?
Always have since day one on this tank. It was my first time remineralizing RO water so I copied the recipe on 'James' planted tank' website. His recipe checked all the boxes I wanted and he listed all the ingredients pretty straightforward. It just happened to have a bit of chloride added in.

Since then I've tweaked things of course and started looking at other manufacturers ingredients. If I remember correctly Seachem flourish has 1.5% chlorine as it's main ingredient. Fe comes in a distant second at 0.32%. This is a result of using potassium chloride, calcium chloride, and Mg chloride instead of sulphate. It seems to get a bad rap but it's actually a quality product once you look at the ingredients. The main drawback is that it's expensive as sin for a 98% bottle of water.

I have no reason to suspect aquatic plants use chloride but it's common knowledge that it's included in the 17 essential elements that terrestrial plants use. To that extent combined with Seachem using it in flourish I continue to dose it just like any other element.

Sounds like your next experiment should be adding a bit of Cl so we can make some observations.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #397 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sounds like your next experiment should be adding a bit of Cl so we can make some observations.
It was ordered before I asked the question......so you can count on that!

---
---
post #398 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
It was ordered before I asked the question......so you can count on that!
Haha, right there with you @Greggz. I was just evaluating my micros since I have about 1 more dose left in my bottle with Saturday maintenance looming. "Arriving tomorrow by 9pm." I'm mixing for 0.65ppm Cl/dose for 1.95ppm/wk.
Hendy8888 and Greggz like this.

post #399 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

More new additions, 30 small Microdevario Kubota. Very energetic small rasbora that stays in the top third of the tank. They are enjoying the high flow up there and no jumpers so far (knock on wood). Should colour up quite a bit still as they mature.
Hard to get any sort of decent photo.

Other changes:

Now at a 3:1 Ca:Mg ratio from the 2:1, Ca stayed the same and reduced Mg.

Rugosa and arcuata switched spots in the back right, arcuata wanted more light and Rugosa needed less so made perfect sense.

P. Erectus has been struggling so it all got uprooted and kept the best new growth. Should be back to normal now that the old growth is gone.

Added a tissue culture Ludwigia white on the right middle. Immediate new growth but not quite white yet.

Not photographed but also added some big emersed stems of Nesaea pedicellata 'golden', Ammannia senegalensis, and Ludwigia 'cuba' that I have in no way any room for but apparently I have a problem...

*Edit*
All 34 species..I think I'm done collecting for a minute.

Last edited by Hendy8888; 09-21-2020 at 11:38 PM.
post #400 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Algae Grower

Tank looks great as always!

What prompted the change to your Ca:Mg ratio?
Hendy8888 likes this.
post #401 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzn7z7 View Post
Tank looks great as always!

What prompted the change to your Ca:Mg ratio?
Attempting to figure out the pinhole issue with the H. Pinnatifida, micros got slightly lowered as well.
Greggz, zivvel and Econde like this.

post #402 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I'm trying to chase down the pinhole problem on some anubias as well. I've been adding Mg after water changes and have definitely noticed the difference. Waiting for another month to see if the newer leaves stay the same or get the same holes
Hendy8888 likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #403 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I'm trying to chase down the pinhole problem on some anubias as well. I've been adding Mg after water changes and have definitely noticed the difference. Waiting for another month to see if the newer leaves stay the same or get the same holes
Currently did the opposite, reduced Mg and micros to see if I can get better K uptake. Admittedly, I have no clue what I'm doing though. It's all fun and games right now since everything is growing well, just feel like old growth could be better.
Econde likes this.

post #404 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Currently did the opposite, reduced Mg and micros to see if I can get better K uptake. Admittedly, I have no clue what I'm doing though. It's all fun and games right now since everything is growing well, just feel like old growth could be better.
That's how I feel when I read all you veteran's posts! I'm semi winging it all. Beautiful tank by the way!
Hendy8888 likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #405 of 439 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:03 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
I think your on the right track. Its an induced K deficiency. Ive cured it in H pinna before by lowering micros, Mg is probably the next likely suspect.

Tank looks awesome, its a real stunner!
Hendy8888 and Greggz like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode