90 Gallon Custom - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum
 782Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 266 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Thanks Ken, Iím really enjoying seeing your tank thread too. The P. Erectus gets trimmed every 3 weeks Iíd say, It almost needs a trim in those pics. Itís one of my favourites and grows incredibly well in this tank. The only thing I donít like about it is the large roots it grows get attached to the lava rock underneath the substrate and pulls it to the surface.
Thanks H8. Good to know how often the trims are occurring, I thought you had reached the holy grail of planted tanks, beautiful plants that grew slow without having to trim! I had the same issues, fast large root growth that would bring up a lot of substrate when pulled. But it's one of my favorites also, a beautiful plant, and yours are perfect, great job!
Hendy8888 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 266 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Greggz This trims for you! Everything that got trimmed was topped and tossed the bottoms, 18 days since the rotala's were last done the same way. I have to say I am happy with the results.
Pre trim

Post trim

Macrandra ready to be re-planted

New addition, hopefully it doesn't enjoy long walks outside the aquarium.

@Ken Keating1 P. Erectus went 29 days between trimmings best I can tell, I feel like growth is at a sweet spot right now for that plant.
hbosman, Greggz, ipkiss and 9 others like this.

post #168 of 266 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow! Getting better and better all time.

That is a really beautiful presentation.

Very, very well done!
Hendy8888, LRJ, Grobbins48 and 2 others like this.

---
---

post #169 of 266 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Beautiful!

How often do you trim the carpet? I just tore up a ton on monte carlo and did a small replant as I let it get out of control and trapped a rainbow under it!
Hendy8888, Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #170 of 266 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
@Ken Keating1 P. Erectus went 29 days between trimmings best I can tell, I feel like growth is at a sweet spot right now for that plant.
Definitely you've reached nice sweet spot. Your tank is one of the few that looks great post trim; all the plants are neatly configured, like a perfectly manicured garden. Plus I like how you've taken stem plants and arranged them by aesthetics, and then trimmed them accordingly to maintain a particular height within the parameters of your landscape. I don't see that very often here on TPT, I feel your tank is really both unique and beautiful at the same time.
Hendy8888, Greggz and LRJ like this.

post #171 of 266 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Grobbins48 I try not to let it get too thick, normally I would say every two months. The trim is pretty agressive but try to leave a shade of green. If you trim to mostly white stems it will take a very long time to recover. That being said currently the monte carlo is pretty angry at me, it doesn't like hydrogen peroxide and I have been spot treating rather heavily to areas surrounding it.

post #172 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pissed off Glandulosa from trimming it..

Happy Glandulosa, different part of the tank. Higher PAR location for sure but the first photo were happy not too long ago. Same plant, same tank, very different growth.

Also like to point out the miniature Pantanal in that photo compared to the H'ra', I still like it though.

Biggest concern as of late is the S. Repens has decided to do a mass melt, theres lots of it and its clogging the overflow. I'm not worried about the long term health of the plant, it will bounce back with new growth when it's done melting but it might take a few weeks of continually dropping leaves first. I might give it an aggressive trim to help it along, not sure yet.

One positive is the water is looking extra crystal clear these days, maybe since I put the felt socks back in instead of the nylon.

post #173 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Algae Grower

That side shot..

Hendy8888, tredford and Yaboihunt like this.

post #174 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:48 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tanks like this make me wish I had the space to get back into the hobby. Spectacular work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hendy8888 likes this.

post #175 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Ventchur and bpb!
I did a little trimming yesterday, it started out like this:

And ended up like this:

There was no mercy given to the S.Repens, Iím curious how it will respond. The leaves were slowly shedding from the bottom up so I helped it out a bit...

So much for that side view..
Greggz, Ben Belton, ipkiss and 4 others like this.

post #176 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

whoa! there's fish in there!

The fish is like..

now what ..

yea, that patch we were fighting for yesterday? all gone!!!

speechless.
Discusluv likes this.

post #177 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I actually like the trimmed look much, much better.
The detail is impeccable. The rock, the texture, the color.
The fish enhances this intricacy.

post #178 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Those S. Repens should come back, may take a bit, but I've done the same without issues.

Bump: Those S. Repens should come back, may take a bit, but I've done the same without issues.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #179 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
whoa! there's fish in there!

The fish is like..

now what ..

yea, that patch we were fighting for yesterday? all gone!!!

speechless.
They are normally out an about but lately they are schooling more so might have to check my ph probe for drift. I think my daughter is out of frame on the first pic and scared them into hiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I actually like the trimmed look much, much better.
The detail is impeccable. The rock, the texture, the color.
The fish enhances this intricacy.
I too enjoy the trimmed look, this one was a little excessive but it was getting too overgrown and slow growers were being affected by algae on old growth. Bonus is that I wonít have to trim during the summer too much and can enjoy other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Those S. Repens should come back, may take a bit, but I've done the same without issues.

Bump: Those S. Repens should come back, may take a bit, but I've done the same without issues.
That is good to hear, I have cut the entire stem off at ground level and they came back once before, I am only concerned since they were already stressed and dropping leaves. Hopefully the shape fills in and donít have to take it down to substrate.
Once a plant becomes established they are very weedy and just want to grow. Thereís H. Pinnatifida that keep growing in areas I long removed them from but a little bit of stem got stuck in the lava rock pores, next thing you know itís back.

I will probably be removing all the ground cover at some point to thin it out and replant, the Monte Carlo might be replaced with UG at the same time.
Greggz and chayos00 like this.

post #180 of 266 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

S. Repens looks like it will be just fine, showing new growth on the bare stems. Upped the calcium last week, felt like it was a bit low and have seen some improvement already. Some of the troublesome plants perked up and are showing better growth then I have seen in a while, hopefully the trend continues.

Tillandsia putting on a show.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode