20 gallon riparium attempt - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aframomum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
20 gallon riparium attempt

So temps aren't going to allow for fish for a few months. May be used for breeding or QT later on. I've got a 2 tiered set up. Not sure if I'll do another tank on top or do some cork bark and some orchids and bromeliads. Above the tank is a 36" Ray 2. At the absolute top is a 25 watt LED spotlight and a 48" Beamswork DHL fixture.

In the tank there are some crypt lucens and crypt lutea as well as some moss. On the driftwood above the rim are several tillandsias.
I've got 2 shower caddy's with ceramic rings and media. In one I have an emersed lobelia cardinalis and some emersed HC Cuba. The other has a purple waffle cutting, some marsilia hirsuta and some moss. I have some other plants growing out that I plan to add.
Pilea involucrata
Coleus
Pilea depressa (didn't ship well)
And I want some Anthurium sp. 'Red'.

I wanted to try maidenhair fern again, but the cat got into it the first night. Rather than hope that it recovers and then trying I followed HitmanX's method... sort of. I have about a softball of sphagnum moss in stainless steel mesh sitting on top of some driftwood. Only about an inch of the sphagnum moss is in the water. The rhizome and roots aren't submerged at any point.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by The Dude1; 08-08-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 02:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice little project you got going on there. I like the idea of using some terrestrial plants on the top - think it would help to fill in the wall area behind the tank.

As for the cat, I have some solution ideas but really can't post them here...
The Dude1 likes this.

40 breeder tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 gallon long (retired):

20 gallon high (retired):

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aframomum View Post
Nice little project you got going on there. I like the idea of using some terrestrial plants on the top - think it would help to fill in the wall area behind the tank.

As for the cat, I have some solution ideas but really can't post them here...
I'm thinking I might use cork tiles all along back there for orchids and bromeliads. Just trying to not get ahead of myself in case this turns out to be a total failure.
I'm trying to collect riparium plants and get them going in soil so I have back ups in case I plant them wrong

Twin high tech 75's -

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Made some changes. I actually changed out the driftwood on the right for a larger piece that breaks the surface. I'll get new pics tomorrow

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode