10 Gallon Tank Journal - Chesemonky - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool 10 Gallon Tank Journal - Chesemonky

Hey everybody, this is my first solo planted tank. Will be needing to ask a few questions. What i hope for is a planted tank with some hardscape (natural look). The fish will be uhli loaches and either spotted blue eyes or tetras (preferably the blue eyes). First, i have some endlers from another tank that need to be sold. So i will seperate the males and females between the tanks so they will stop breeding and i can sell them all. Then i will get into those fish i refered to above. Here is a pic of my tank and filter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	27402

The filter is a 5-20 gallon AquaClear power filter. For hardscape, i was thinking about finding a smooth rock with plenty of holes for the fish to swim in and out of on one side, then a piece of driftwood on the other. Not sure about the plants yet. I know that i will need sand for the kuhli loaches so they wont hurt themselves, yet i want to grow plants. Is their sand that is good for growing plants, or should i cap plant substrate with the sand? All help is welcome.

More pics to come as soon as i figure out how to delete old pics from old threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I havemy kuhili's in with fluval's stratum substrate. It works great for them..They dig through it and you will see just there heads pop out...lol...very comical to see
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

looks like it is good for growing plants. do you or anybody else know how many pounds of the stuff will cover the entire bottom about 2 to 3 inches deep

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Planted Member

ya it works great...check out my journal i started today...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i will be sure to look it up, you should post the link for anyone else that is interested in looking at it
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Might I suggest either painting the back or using vinyl from a sign shop. Then you won't have to see the cords and such through the back that always looks so cluttered. I always opt for black so the other equipment blends in better.

Pool Filter Sand or River sand is often used for planted tanks. Either put it as a cap to something else or use something like root tabs since the sand is inert.

Kuhli Loaches huh? I've always enjoyed them and might throw a few in my 10g when its done cycling.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just got back from petsmart and got the CaribSea brand premium aquarium substrate sand with a free cycle boost (Bio Magnet Clarifier)
i think this color will look good contrasting with the balck and yellow of the kuhli loaches. will post pic when tank is filled with water and when i put in the white ribbon plants to help the cycle go. i will eventually put a piece of cardboard spray painted black behind the tank to hide the chords.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

got the send and the water in the tank and have started the cycling process (im going fishless). The tank hood is temporary and i hope to get one that will have medium to high light in a few months (or at least one that properly fits in a few weeks).

Name:	IMG_3112.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	27441

Here are my white ribbon plants, thankfully it came with 3 and not 2 like i thought. The pvc pipe in the front left is a already made burrow for the loaches. I am hoping that when a fish is in there you will be able to see it even during the day since kuhlis are primarily noctournal

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	27442
Sorry it is sideways but lets just say you are stretching your neck.

Any feed back is welcome on what plants i should use
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesemonky View Post
got the send and the water in the tank and have started the cycling process (im going fishless). The tank hood is temporary and i hope to get one that will have medium to high light in a few months (or at least one that properly fits in a few weeks).

Attachment 27441

Here are my white ribbon plants, thankfully it came with 3 and not 2 like i thought. The pvc pipe in the front left is a already made burrow for the loaches. I am hoping that when a fish is in there you will be able to see it even during the day since kuhlis are primarily noctournal

Attachment 27442
Sorry it is sideways but lets just say you are stretching your neck.

Any feed back is welcome on what plants i should use
Those plants are not for in the aquarium, they will start rotting in couple of weeks. I made the same mistake... I took them out, binded them together and hang them just with the roots under water.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh, well i will enjoy them while they last. thnx for the heads up. at least i will know what is happening when they do start rotting. who know, maybe it will help cycle my tank faster.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does anybody know any good ways of adding ammonia without using fish or getting straight ammonia. Right now i am putting in fish food and might add a cube of frozen blood worms. Want to get this tank running quickly but would prefer not to use fish.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just got some driftwood for the tank, it is boiling right now. then i will soak it in cold water for about 2 hours. will post a pic when it is in. Does driftwood bring down the pH of the water and if it does, does the amount that it goes down correspond to how much driftwood is in their.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, a few things. Nice choice on the AquaClear filter. At one time I had 7 tanks going and 4 of them had Aquaclears on them. They are amazing filters, very easy to maintain too. On the cycling process, using the frozen food is the best way. You could get a mesh bag (like for the media in your filter) put the food in there and hang it in the tank. It will be easier to take out after you are done. As far as the plants, I would take them out like Nalu86 said. As far as lighting, I use all glass tops on my tanks, primarily to keep my cats out, but it also keeps humidity in and cuts back on water evap. A far as what plants to use, that is up to how many watts your lights are, and what color spectrum they are. And also on ferts and CO2. What were you planning on all that? Other then that It is looking good so far, keep it up. I will for sure be tagging along to see how it turns out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok the log is in. I decided since i wont have fish in it for a while (fishless cycle) i would only boil it for 2 hours and change the water it was boiling in three times.
I felt that it looked a little bulky so i added the holes that you see in the picture below with a drill, file, and wood chisel. Personally i think it turned out great.

Name:	IMG_3114.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	27468

Here is the main cave the fish can hide in

Name:	IMG_3115.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	27469

I plan on putting some sort of medium light grass looking plant. If you look at the first picture in this post you might be able to see a tiny baby java fern i got from my bros tank and i stuck it on.

To answer the previous question, i plan on putting vals (already some growing in back from other tank), the java fern, some grass like plant to put in front of the cave, and other than that i have know idea.

I hope to get a light that will produce 2 to 3 watts per gallon (preferably closer to 3) and i will want full specturm (if they sell lights like that). I might also use that glass hood above my tank to prevent much evaporation.

Thank you for all the feedback.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

to keep everybody updated: i have put some gravel in a pantyhose like material and placed it on my filter along with the top filter medium of my tank and my bros since they are both aquaclear. I hope this lets the bacteria grow on to my filter media from his tank and then his filter media will seed my tank. on day three of cycling, my readings are little strange, after testing twice a day for three days (have nothing better to do), the ammonia has risen to 1.5 ppm and then gone down to 1.0ppm, the nitrites have never gone higher than 0.0 ppm, and my nitrates are at 5.0 ppm. I find this a little strange that i have the bacteria that eats nitrites. I have been dosing the tank with cycle for the first three days and i have my bros filter medium, so that might have done it. Any advice is welcome or explanation as to why my readings are like they are is welcome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode