55 gallon, received some angelfish from drbotts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
55 gallon, received some angelfish from drbotts

finally get to join the ranks here... not completely done setting this up. waiting on some pvc cement to dry completely before hooking up the cascade 1200 and co2 tank.

currently have a marineland 250 magnum hanging on the front to get the water circulating and to fight any tannins leaching from the wood. i've had this wood for over a year now and it leaches every single time... hoping the micron filter handles things. i'll continue to run it once the canister is set up, just on the opposite side.

right now we've got three guppies in there... the g/f wanted a "toy" so picked up a little 1.5g tank from walmart. she was over that in the morning so the guppies i got her are in the 55g while my remaining cichlid is hanging out in that before going to the lfs in the morning.

anyway, you've probably done what i usually do and skip right past the chit chat to the pics

cell phone pics will have to do for today.
plant list is from a recent sale here, and i gotta be honest that i don't 100% know which is which haha, i mainly planted based on the size of the clippings:
Rotala macranda sp 'Japan Red'
Rotala sp 'Gia Lai'
Limnophila sp 'Wavy'
Hygrophila sp 'Tiger'
Nessaea triflora
Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'
Myriophyllum heterophyllum X laxum
Limnophila sp 'Broad'
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila sp 'Vietnam Mini'
Pogostemon sp 'Blume'
Staurogyne sp 'Porto Velho'
Limnophila repens 'Mini'
Hygrophila sp 'Bold'

i intend on letting the tank over grow a bit and fill out before trimming... assuming everything lives just fine. fingers crossed

so, 2/6/11:

Last edited by scapegoat; 08-12-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

seeing as how this isnt entertaining at this point...

i should note that i have topsoil covered with eco complete... why? because i had the top soil and could only source 2 bags of eco complete. I've managed to find a third bag locally to add some to the rear of the tank where i noticed clouding and just a thin layer of eco and so far it seems to be doing well. I'm expecting total failure. but at as of yesterday my parameters are alright.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Nice looking start
Don't expect failure, drama or disaster. The only concern I would have with a new soil tank is the amount of hardscape included restricting gas exchange within the soil layer. You will probably see a couple of burps after 2-3 weeks but it shouldn't be a huge concern.
GL going forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so growth has been pretty amazing over the week.

the Myriophyllum heterophyllum X laxum has really taken off as you can see from the pictures... looks like 4" in a week!

the Limnophila aromatica is filling out nicely.

it looks like everything is growing real well... the growth over the last week really caught me by surprise as i wasnt at all expecting such amazing results for my first planted tank.

As far as fauna, i've got the three mentioned guppies as well as 5 black neon tetra. I'll most likely pick out another 5 to finish the school within the week. i couldnt wait to get more life in the tank haha... so i made the fish purchase last thursday and so far so good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lastweek1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	27708  

Name:	thisweek1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	27709  

Name:	thisweek2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	27713  

Attached Images

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
very nice!

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Good to see another guy from philly! Looking good man!

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Good to see another guy from philly! Looking good man!
not exactly in philly, but close enough that my car insurance went up when i moved into my house haha. I'm actually in feasterville, but that is literally 5 minutes from route 1
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So here is a full tank shot as of today.

and here is the fullsize, huge, image if anyone is interested in taking a closer look at any of the plants.

http://c0002371.cdn2.cloudfiles.rack...ium2-15-11.jpg

i'm fond of the spiny plant (Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba') in the center. the rotala macrandra in the center are starting to grow a bit better... they looked like [censored][censored][censored][censored] when i planted them, they didnt handle transport so well. once they've got some healthy growth i'll be clipping them and replanting.

the Limnophila aromatica is becoming a favorite of mine because it's doing so well on either side of the wood and has a beautiful texture to it

and the Rotala sp 'Gia Lai' is growing out nicely, though dropping roots into the water column and looking like some kind of creeper out of a horror movie!

the hilarious part about these updates is that i have to do an image search each time on the list of plants i received so that i can point out what they are exactly.

i'm not entirely sure what the two shorter plants i have around the slate are. however, i would like to bunch them closer to the other plants and put in a grass or carpeting plant and potentially add a moss to the slate itself

all of the fauna are doing well. i've added a false zebra pleco to the bunch today... i'm sure i'll never see him again since there is a nice hiding cavity in the wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aquarium2-15-11.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	27749  

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
Tank is looking great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
Tank is looking great!
thanks! it's tough not to rescape this week and a half old tank. now that the plants are thriving and showing their personalities i want to move them around to where i think they're better suited.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

If anything I would tell you to move the red mac over behind the wood. You never want to have a focal point dead center ad your eyes won't move through the tank

Quote:
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
If anything I would tell you to move the red mac over behind the wood. You never want to have a focal point dead center ad your eyes won't move through the tank
i do agree on that. but it wasnt in the greatest of shape when i planted it. many of the leaves were turning brown and/or melting. it definitely does not like to be shipped. Right now it's in a spot where it gets good water flow and good light. it's been showing decent but slow, in comparison to the other plants, growth of new leaves. eventually i will be cutting it down and replanting the healthier clipping.

it'll also be touch to put it behind the wood without moving everything. not much depth in the 55g and that wood takes up most of it. I do want to move the plant behind it out as well as it's not really visible.

however, i suppose a gentle rescape now would be easier on the tank with the 9 fish in it as opposed to fully stocked... and allow me to get down some more ecocomplete.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Banned

there yah go!

Quote:
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

picked up three zebra shrimp today to handle some of the janitor duties. they're still tiny and i don't expect to be seeing much of them... hoping they breed as i had wanted 5 shrimp for the tank, but they only had the three.

not the easiest thing to take a picture of considering they're maybe half an inch long. here is one. i've got two with this sort of stripe and the third has multiple stripes down it's sides.
Attached Images

post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

everything in my house that could be pregnant is. well, with the exception of the unsexed tetra! the girlfriend is pregnant along with her two female guppies. so it looks like within the next month i'm going to have a guppy explosion in the tank... will guppies get along with a betta? we've got one in a 1.5g tank in the kitchen, the original home of the three guppies. i'd much prefer not to have 50 guppies in my planted tank... however i suppose the fry could make a tasty treat for the 5 tetra.

and i havent seen the shrimp since i put them in the tank. the only thing i'm worried about eating them is the false zebra pleco. however considering the shrimp's size, i don't expect to see them until they are larger. and my fingers are crossed they reproduce.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode