Determined to make it work - My high tech 5 gallon nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Determined to make it work - My high tech 5 gallon nano

Hi all, I’ve been determined to make my 5 gallon nano work with my patchwork knowledge of planted tanks, learning as I go.

First of all, here is the tank as of today

5.5 gallon
Filter: Ovation 210 (looking to replace it with perhaps an eheim 2211)
Light: Fluval C.O.B Aura 15w
Co2 injected - paintball regulator
Substrate: Flourite black
Dosing ThriveS every other day and w/ water changes

Flora
Dwarf Rotala
Red cryptocoryne
S.Repens
Mini dwarf hair grass
Hydrocotyle S. Japan
Telanthera Cardinalis
Dwarf four leaf clover
Dwarf baby tears
Christmas moss

Fauna
2 Red Cherry shrimp

Here is April 16th, first day of planting. I glued a couple pieces of wood together to make the arch shape you see.

So far it has gone through a huge algal outbreak. Now that I have it beaten back I’ll post in this thread as the tank matures. I plan to trim the plants more to the scape I want when they grow in. I want the archway and the hydrocotyle to form a dome I'll create through pruing. I'd also like the dwarf rotala to cover the entire back wall but it is having a hard time still with hair algae, as is my remaining telanthera cardinalis

Feedback is welcome

Last edited by Rnasty; 08-03-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Nice set up... might I wanna plug all the empty spots before algae strikes again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks like you're off to a nice start. I think most healthy tanks battle with this, at least all mine have. I start to see diatoms first, followed by green dust and then hair algae. What has worked well for me is to cycle first and then I add enough nerites and any other snails I can find (MTS, ramshorn, or even freshwater limpets) to keep the biological filter active. By the 3 month mark, my tanks are nearly sparkling clean and then I add my shrimps. By this time, I have to actually induce algae and biofilm to keep everyone from starving. This has even worked in my caridina tanks where my pH was as low as 5.5 and my snails haven't dissolved yet.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

If I were in your position, Iíd do frequent water changes and siphon out any mulm. If the conditions are stable, you can add Amano shrimp to eat all the algae. It doesnít look too bad of an outbreak and itís only brown hair algae which is easily taken care of. Stay on top of manual removal and water changes and your tank should be algae free in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysonZheng View Post
If I were in your position, Iíd do frequent water changes and siphon out any mulm. If the conditions are stable, you can add Amano shrimp to eat all the algae. It doesnít look too bad of an outbreak and itís only brown hair algae which is easily taken care of. Stay on top of manual removal and water changes and your tank should be algae free in no time!

That's been my strategy so far. It actually used to be way worse. I didn't take a picture but all my plants were covered in like an inch thick layer of hair algae that took a whole day to remove.

I'm in the process right now of removing mulm and capping the flourite with play sand. I'll post pics in a little while.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post
That's been my strategy so far. It actually used to be way worse. I didn't take a picture but all my plants were covered in like an inch thick layer of hair algae that took a whole day to remove.

I'm in the process right now of removing mulm and capping the flourite with play sand. I'll post pics in a little while.

Yay! You could also add a nerite snail to help out.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I took the morning to cap the flourite with play sand. There were a lot of reasons for that decision - I prefer the natural look, the small grain size is better for scale, mulm accumulates on the top making it much easier to vacuum, and it's pennies on the dollar to replace it if I vacuum some up compare to the flourite underneath.

I took out my dwarf baby tears and dwarf four leaf clover as they were covered in algae, cleaned them, then put them back in just in front of the arch where they can get good light and gentle but consistent circulation.

My christmas moss seems to be struggling too. Some bits have green tips but I have not seen significant growth since I got it. I'm thinking the excel I've been using to fight the algae has affected it negatively.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

Lookin a whole lot better and cleaner! What species of crypt is that on the left? I know you said it was a red crypt but do you remember the name?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysonZheng View Post
Lookin a whole lot better and cleaner! What species of crypt is that on the left? I know you said it was a red crypt but do you remember the name?

I believe it's cryptocoryne undulata red, I got it at petsmart like 2 years ago.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post
I believe it's cryptocoryne undulata red, I got it at petsmart like 2 years ago.

Petsmart tissue culture? Undulata grows pretty big though right? Iím just asking cause I have a crypt and buce only tank that Iím looking to add more species into.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah it was one of those in the gel. I've always remembered it said it would get to 4" on the bag but it seems under high light it stays fairly small.

It's important to note however that I used to not have good water quality at all. Since I moved a few months ago this is the first time those crypts have been exposed to decent water quality
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

Ah ok, then it looks like Iíll be on the lookout for it. Thanks!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey all, here is an update.

I gave up on the DBT and Dwarf four leaf clover. They were both hardly growing and were just giving a nice place for algae to live. They were also getting patches of cyanobacteria around them which says to me they were doing more rotting than growing.

I replaced them with more S. Repens and Mini DHG. I trimmed some of the longer Rotala stems as they were getting nasty and replanted the tops. I also trimmed the hydrocotyle S. Japan into a dome shape around the wood and it looked awesome, but when I took the wood out to clean it, it uprooted the plants so I'll have to grow them back into the nice shape I had.

Thinking of a plant to cover the wood. I've tried java moss and christmas moss, both of which have died. I have anubias nana as an option but I'd prefer a moss like plant. Not sure what to do there. Maybe I'll jsut let the.

Next step is to get an eheim 2211 up and running! This ovation 210 is getting a bit old.

Here's new pics

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode