33 Long Window Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
After finishing the treatment of furan-2, I put media back in the filter, did water changes, waited a few days and then gave Perry a round of kanaplex. Lots of plants went through some serious melt. I guess the medication affected them, or the frequent wc during the antifungal treatment reduced nutrients too much? Anyway, I spent a lot of time cleaning out brown melted plant yuck today during water change. I can't tell if the meds did much good. The pale band across Perry's head is less obvious, but not all the way gone.

The black spot that was on his dorsal fin is gone, but now there's a small pale thing by his lip, under left eye. It looks like a skin tag- I can't tell if it's an external parasite or just a tear still healing from when he battled Lady. And of course I haven't been able to get a closeup photo of it. Most of my efforts today ended up a blur because he zoomed up and down the front glass hoping I'd feed him.

He and Lady still faceoff either side of their barrier very frequently. Perry doesn't flare as avidly, but they both try to bite each other hard through the wall.

I've noticed an odd thing lately- Lady's tail appears to be growing longer

and the tips are faintly blue- you can barely see it in this picture. I wonder if it has something to do with the food- I've been giving them bits of the frozen food each day when the angels are full, and occasionally some of the cichlid grow flake... maybe I shouldn't give them that

Hm, well, here's how plant cleanup went. I removed a ton of melted, brown frogbit. Also the entire bottom half of each ludwigia stem had completely disintegrated leaves- I trimmed and replanted tops.

The bolbitis ferns are looking messy- there's a lot of dying-back foliage but it clings stubbornly to the rhizomes. I haven't taken the time to go in with scissors, yet- I just swiped through the fronds with siphon each time I'm doing a cleaning, and get some stuff out but not nearly all. However, there is still some green in there!

Vallisneria is definitely growing back, after its severe melt. But not really looking good yet.

One plant that doesn't seem bothered by much is the crypt becketti.

Also the buces are all doing fine, so I added another one out of the tetra's tank- it's just under this crypt becketti by the wall.

Windelov ferns are doing pretty much same as always- a few browning leaves which I remove each week, replaced by new ones growing out all the time...

Perry's side of the tank- photographed from a low side angle- trying to do something different.
Phil Edwards and Bon MotMot like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 09-10-2018 at 03:39 AM. Reason: clarified stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it 100% certain that Lady is in fact a lady?

Journal

post #33 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Good question! I've wondered that myself. After all, Perry took such a long time to develop the beautiful tail, I thought he was a she, at first. I assumed Lady is female because of the dull colors and short tail when I first saw the fish in the store, and the employee told me she'd been in that tank for 2 or 3 years. I suppose the person could have been exaggerating, if it was only eight months or so.... and the fish is a late developer. Who knows.

|
|
|
|

post #34 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Still epic tank, full of action. So enjoyable to read your posts!
post #35 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I swear Lady's tail is still getting longer and longer

In this pic she's holding the caudal fins closed- usual resting position- but you can see the very tip has blue highlight.

Of course, it's still short compared to the glory of Perry's tail

Backlit- see how long his caudal extensions are!

Lady is still larger in body, and duller in color overall, than Perry.

Sometimes I wonder if she remembers her old home at the fish store. Does she miss that larger tank with denser plants and many fish to boss around? or does she prefer the quiet of her own space, and find it exciting to face off with Perry through the wall. Or is that stressful for her, having a conspecific right next door. I'll never know.
Bon MotMot likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #36 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

loads of plant pictures

My long tank looks kind of sparse, now.

I removed the sticks- they appeared to be rotting- and lifted out the mopani wood piece, cleaned off all the browned bolbitis fern. Most of the remaining, healthy fronds were on the ends of the rhizomes, 'walking' off the wood reaching for the tank floor. I trimmed a lot of those, reattached on top of the driftwood. It looks better in person.

Yes there are new fiddleheads in there- two left of center

Other plants- I am not sure how my crypt cordata is doing. It quit making new leaves, and all the existing ones are starting to melt. Maybe it doesn't like the cold, or perhaps it is still recovering from the hard time- two rescapes and then a few weeks of meds in the tank with fequent water changes had to be rough on them all.

Crypt beckettii is fine- even sprouting more new leaves!

Behind it in this overhead can see the subwassertang looks healthy too- even if its texture is small, and the greenness of bolbitis fronds.

Subwassertang against the front glass

Small new bolbitis fronds on the mesh wall- all that's left on these two rhizome pieces, but I hope it grows back well.

Vallisneria still looks messy. Every time I experimentally tug on a melting leaf to remove it, the whole plant starts to come up. So I leave them to disintegrate on their own, but it's taking a long time...

In the corner behind Perry's filter, crypts becketti petchii and lutea are growing back. I'm thinking of switching this filter out for a hydro sponge, same as I have in the 20H. So much easier to clean.

Crypt on Lady's side- tiny new leaf.

Buces

Anubias nana 'petite' does really well in here- lined up behind the crinum.

Which is doing an odd thing- it has three leaves that appear to be fused in center- comes from the base as three leaves, then together, then splits again near the tips- I wonder if they will separate entirely as it grows out?

Windelov ferns are same as always

Ludwigia repens var arcuata hasn't grown much since last trim and replant. The stem pieces of 'hygro species' melted as far as I can tell.

Side angle here shows in reflection- they are green, but bend a lot- either seeking light or shortage of something

Newer ludwigia palustris is doing okay- melting leaves at base but not nearly as fast as the hygro went

Up top, salvinia appears to have recovered- most of the leaves are green now, I don't see nearly as many deteriorating. But the hornwort has nearly all died off, there's only have one small stem left in here. It was so lovely before I moved the tank over. Will try to replace with pieces from the 20H.

I replaced all the peaky-looking sweet potato vine with new cuttings, and used some of the lime-orange coleus as well. Rooting nicely.

|
|
|
|
post #37 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Perry has grown

I looked in the top of the 33 one morning and thought: what is that foamy stuff? and then I realized: it's Perry making a bubble nest! or trying, at least- the bubbles are in patches here and there. "Ho!" I said out loud, "Perry is feeling flirtatious!"

I've been watching their behavior at the dividing wall closely. They don't seem to bite at each other as much now- and usually it's Lady trying to bite. Perry tends to hold himself broadside and display, or sit just under his little bubble patch and fan his fins wide. I tried to get a few pictures to compare- I think he's nearly the same size as the female, now.

Poorly, backlit photos due to the window- this one taken from the couch:

from closer:

When I pointed out to my seven-year-old that Perry was nearly Lady's size and perhaps it would work to take the wall away, she egged me on immediately: "do it, do it!" But I think it's safer to wait until Perry is obviously larger than Lady.
Thelongsnail and zmartin like this.

|
|
|
|
post #38 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As it gets closer to winter the window light is weaker, so I removed one of the plastic layers behind the tank. Now have to clean some algae off the front glass every week, but conversely my other plants appear to be doing a bit better. I removed the sweet potato vines and put more coleus cuttings across the back of the tank. Not sure if the change in light, or the removal of sweet potato roots is what gave the plants a bump- or things are just finally recovering well, from all the tank changes. But I'm starting to like this tank again.

I removed the aponogeton from this spot a few weeks ago- see updates on my 45. Planted a few crypts (they're undulata or lutea) in its place. Ludwigia palustris all melted away in here (but a few remain static in the 20H, and in the tenner they're growing new leaves).

Lady's side of the tank feels rather empty now, but I gave her back the clay cave. Stuck an anubias on top of it. Hoping that if I try a re-introduction, the clay arch will give her shelter from the male if needed- although I never see her making use of it yet, she didn't even check it out (that I saw).

I added more crypts to this corner (from the 20H).

Crypt cordata is putting out a new leaf (very sturdy looking shoot) and some of the vals are getting greener, a bit taller.

The stuck-together leaves on the crinum unfurled- and they have all straightened out nicely. Bolbitis ferns on the little 'hillock' behind it show more green- also helps that I tucked some subwassertang behind the driftwood piece.

Inhabitants: Perry spreading his tail

Lady won't pause for her photo. She gets more excited than Perry when I am near the tank, now- zipping back and forth waggling her fins. (Excuse the rough photoshop job I did in the corner to mask the filter sponge from detracting focus in the picture).

|
|
|
|
post #39 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Dismayed I came home from travelling for 3 days to find Lady has something on her face:

I have another post about it in the Fish section see does-my-paradise-fish-have-ich. Don't know if it's ich (looks a little different) or some other kind of parasite or skin condition. She acts fine- even more eager than Perry to eat. Doing a water change...

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 11-20-2018 at 03:08 AM. Reason: added link
post #40 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Took some closeup photos while my paradise fish were confined in a salt bath today- see thread link in prior post. This pic is of Lady. I am always intrigued when I get a close overhead like this, and can see the lens of the fish's eye.

I notice on the lower lobe of Perry's caudal fin, the filament is shorter, ever since he and Lady fought- I don't know if it will ever grow out to equal length again.

He really has become a handsome fish! I can admire his colors so much better in this situation, because in the backlit window tank, hard to see them well- unless I look from above or thru the short end (one downside to that setup).

I particularly like the blue edging on his anal fin...

Phil Edwards likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #41 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My Lady is almost all better. Here's a few pics I took yesterday-

and of Perry:
Thelongsnail likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #42 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

paradise fishes backlit among their plants

a few hasty, dim pics- Perry-

Lady-

|
|
|
|
post #43 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some pics from when I had the tank dark (cardboard panels propped up behind it for a day). New crypt cordata leaf was unfurling-

later photo of same leaf:

It looks lush and healthy

Smaller crypts in the left corner are starting to take root finally, and grow more new leaves

Photo of the crinum would look better if I'd moved my orange wastewater bucket out of reflection range!

angle from the other side-

crypt becketti-

Lady's side not nearly as attractive- but I do like the ludwigia- hope it grows taller- and the subwassertang in the back looks nice when the light is shining through it.

Finished last dose on the window tank past friday. Perry is super excited about food again- it's nice to see his appetite back. Lady has not shown spots for a week. Did a partial wc (5 gal) to begin removing the salt.

There's more algae now- I am not sure if because the plants weren't doing as well while meds were in the tank, or if winter sun hits the window different angle than summer, so I should have left the extra plastic layer on. I scraped all the glass and put the subwassertang back in.

Bought a new plant on a whim last week. This was a tissue culture packet of ludwigia arcuata. The leaves are tiny. I am pretty sure now that my unknown 'temple plant' was never ludwigia arcuata, unless this one changes form dramatically when it re-adjusts. I was intrigued to read that it does fine in temperatures down to mid sixties, so wanted to try it in my window tank. I also planted some in the betta tank.
Mike A. likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #44 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

For a while I thought, Perry often sits still - either in a top corner of the tank, or substrate level behind his filter. I can't tell if he's sleeping more, lethargic in the winter chill, or feeling unwell. He was slower to eat- sometimes just didn't seem interested.

Lady's spunky as ever

Not sure if I should dose the tank anymore- doing a good substrate cleaning at water changes, have removed a third of the salt so far.

Here's a bit of the new ludwigia arcuata I planted. There's more in the background against the glass.

Three more bits of wisteria sprouted roots. I planted them- can just see leaf at substrate level in the center here.

I recently brought home a good amount of floaters from fish club- more salvinia minima and hornwort, very healthy-looking stuff. Most of it went straight into my window tank. Perry's demeanor immediately changed. I realized then, a lot of the plants had probably done poorly from to the medications I'd been using on the tank. Now that's mostly cleared out, the stem plants are perking up again and Perry once more races back and forth across the tank eager for his food.

Here's the added plants- a lot more salvinia minima

Hornwort- pictured above and below

my paradise fishes have colored up-

Perry especially seems more at ease. Pics from short end of the tank:

Thelongsnail and Bon MotMot like this.

|
|
|
|
post #45 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

new thing!

I'm so excited about this I'm checking the tank and taking pictures daily, almost as thrilled as when I found catfish fry. There is a bright green shoot unfurling behind the row of anubias nana in my window tank. I first saw it on monday, in the evening:

I thought something had fallen in the tank. Looking closer I saw it was very pale green, and appeared to be curled up, with a point.

Took me a minute to realize: it must be from the crypt cordata. Whose newest leaf continues to look incredibly healthy, by the way.

The plant has sent out a runner and is sprouting a new scion halfway across the width of the tank. Fantastic! It must be happy to send out new growth like this, and in the dead of winter no less (average tank temp is 65 right now). Pics from the past two days:

There will be more coming! (pictures)
Phil Edwards and Mike A. like this.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode