33 Long Window Tank - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Iíve enjoyed this journal. I sure hope Laddie makes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thank you, @Seedreemer-

I hope so too. I looked back thru my posts yesterday- I've had him just over two years now. And supposedly he lived 2 years in the fish store before that, so my guess is that he's four, perhaps four and a half years old now. Expected lifespan is five to eight, up to ten if really well-kept and healthy. But considering all Laddie's been through, I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting to wind down now. Today he's had periods of listlessness, but took an interest in things when I was cleaning the tank (I did quite a bit of trimming/replanting). Guppies were picking at him again, really bothers me to see that.
Seedreemer and Econde like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #168 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Got a few pics of that little white cloud that was injured- looks fine from this angle

Here he's the one in foreground center, w/another fish just behind. Can see the jaw is mostly closed, and red. Think he'll be fine though. I've seen him eat.

When I re-homed half the young minnows, a ton of subwassertang went with them- there's still enough left to keep the fishes feeling secure, though. It fluffs up and starts multiplying again pretty quick, it seems. I spread out the hornwort stems and dropped a few of the fake plants back in here for more cover.

Short end of the growout tank. You can see I used ceramic rings to hold down the hornwort. It works.
Seedreemer and Econde like this.

|
|
|
|

post #169 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

flashy fish

As in showing off (not as in glancing off objects)

I moved the female guppies out. My trio of white clouds in here almost immediately started chasing, displaying, flaring, practically doing a jig in the corner.

I am pretty sure they are getting ready to spawn again. I had always assumed they were not spawning because of Laddie- now it seems must have been the guppy presence inhibiting them.

One of the males seems to have proved himself over the other, and I've been watching the female and this dominant male, vibrating their fins and quivering alongside each other. Once they did so while rising evenly through the water column together. The plump female puts on almost as much show as the male. Male and female, side by side:

Of course, I don't need more white clouds- but it's nice to see them feeling so lively.
Seedreemer and doug105! like this.

|
|
|
|
post #170 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Finally gave up on my paradise fish Laddie. He's continually pale, listless, hanging at the surface, mostly clamped fins- now also looks like fungus starting on his skin.

Is it still gill flukes? I don't know. Didn't see any flashing. And the other fishes in the tank are so active, flaring and dancing around each other in spawning mood. none of them look sick at all. On his last day I gave Laddie his favorite food- a red wiggler earthworm. He snapped it quick, but didn't color up with excitement like he used to, and right after went back to hanging still. Later in the day very unhappily I dug a hole under the hydrangea, and Laddie met a brick. With his head. This is my last picture of him.

Then I moved all my young white clouds into the window tank. (Because I need the 20H tank space for the black skirt tetras- see my 45 journal.) Very lively in here now! Lots of displaying and chasing. The larger, orangish fish among them is the mother, and the one with brighter red on fins is one of the adult males.

It's nice to see them so exuberant, but not the same as having a fish that seems to recognize you, drift over waggling fins and tail, eyeing you sideways through the glass expectantly. My smaller fishes pretty much only pay attention to each other. So I miss Laddie- and Perry before him- already.
Econde and doug105! like this.

|
|
|
|
post #171 of 171 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Aww, Iím so sorry about Laddie. Itís obvious you did your best by him. Tank is beautiful!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode