Getting started - The Planted Tank Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting started

After planning a SA planted tank and having equipment failure(tank cracked) back in 12/16 and a week long vacation in the hospital 1/17(if you smoke quit). I've finally gotten to the point of starting one of 2 55's. This one is all Greggz and Grobbins48's fault. Fell in love with the rainbows, actually acquired 3 very nice male Boesemani's the other day from a local hobbyist at a very nice price. I'm kinda going to follow Gregg's lead on this as a rainbow tank with plants.

Equipment:
3 Marineland 350 hob
current satellite freshwater(being upgraded to the beamswork DA fspec next month)
250 watt heater.

Substrate will be pfs, with a few river rocks and a piece of mopani driftwood.

This will be low tech for now till I get a clue on what I'm doing with the plants.

Few questions for the bowheads out there:

What do you feed for best health and coloration?
M to F ratio? (should I decide to attempt breeding)
How many could I keep in a 55 with proper care?

I've kept an assortment of tanks(fresh to reef) over a 20 year period, do know what proper care is

Looking forward to chatting with you all and growing this tank out .

Pics to follow
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Glad your back on the road to recovery and enjoying your fish again.
With a name like discusRob ( being that I myself keep discus) I want to know: tell me about your discus, lol! :0
Have them now, in past? German, Asian, wilds?

@ greggz Rainbows are extraordinary arent they, and the bright colors next to the bright plants is something to behold!

Good luck and the best of future health to you!
Greggz and The Dude1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Glad your back on the road to recovery and enjoying your fish again.
With a name like discusRob ( being that I myself keep discus) I want to know: tell me about your discus, lol! :0
Have them now, in past? German, Asian, wilds?

@ greggz Rainbows are extraordinary arent they, and the bright colors next to the bright plants is something to behold!

Good luck and the best of future health to you!
With the hospital stay and the 75 going to fish heaven that ended my discus keeping. So now I'm hooked on rainbows. I can't handle the up keep that discus require. I was looking at going with Hans, but it is what it is.
Discusluv likes this.

Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. Aristotle

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusRob View Post
With the hospital stay and the 75 going to fish heaven that ended my discus keeping. So now I'm hooked on rainbows. I can't handle the up keep that discus require. I was looking at going with Hans, but it is what it is.
Understandable. I like the Stendkers as well, I have two of the "Tefes".

Rainbows are pretty great as well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Greggz maintains an all Male tank. I also have an almost entirely all male tank with the exception of a Yellow (Herbertaxelrodi) pair that the LFS would not separate.
The problem with mixed sex tanks is two fold.
1. Females have MUCH less color
2. If fry are produced it's very likely that they will be hybrids which is very frowned upon. All of the Melanotaenia will interbreed. The resulting fish are almost guaranteed to be less visually appealing.
Of course that is only if you keep more than one species.
Greggz likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Greggz maintains an all Male tank. I also have an almost entirely all male tank with the exception of a Yellow (Herbertaxelrodi) pair that the LFS would not separate.
The problem with mixed sex tanks is two fold.
1. Females have MUCH less color
2. If fry are produced it's very likely that they will be hybrids which is very frowned upon. All of the Melanotaenia will interbreed. The resulting fish are almost guaranteed to be less visually appealing.
Of course that is only if you keep more than one species.
Thanks Dude, kinda figured that on the hybrid side, was just maybe hoping that bows weren't quite as promiscuous as A. Cichlids, guess not. That's fine, got another 55 in the wings, might go spec. only in that tank. I don't like hybrids either, kinda of a purest myself.

Could I pull off 4 groups of 3 in a 55?
The Dude1 likes this.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a few pics of the bows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180723_164142.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	865627  

Name:	20180723_164145.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	865631  

Name:	20180723_164153.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	865633  

Name:	20180723_164203.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	865635  

Name:	20180723_164322.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	865637  

Last edited by RainbowRob; 07-23-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: learning to post pics :)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lets try a few more and see if the come out sideways
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180723_164336.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	865643  

Name:	20180723_164346.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	865645  

Name:	20180723_164348.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	865647  

Name:	20180723_164358.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	865649  

Name:	20180723_164408.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	865651  

Last edited by RainbowRob; 07-23-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:42 AM

Very nice bosemani rainbows

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Few questions for the bowheads out there:

What do you feed for best health and coloration?
M to F ratio? (should I decide to attempt breeding)
How many could I keep in a 55 with proper care?
Hey can't believe I missed this thread.

I am always interested in following another Rainbow tank!

As noted above, I keep an all male tank. I have kept both types, and settled on males as there is only so much room in the tank, and I am going for the maximum color display.

You will read over and over on the web that males won't show good color without females, but I have to say that has never been my experience. Well cared for Bows in a comfortable environment will show brilliant colors, and will also flash and spar daily.

Rainbows are generally a thin fish without a lot of mass. I've always kept them at what most would consider pretty well stocked. Right now in my 120G I have 26 Bows and some Roseline's and Loaches, it that helps give you some idea.

In general Rainbows appreciate a well maintained tank, with good flow and heavy aeration. They do seem to show best colors in a heavily planted tank. Just seems to make them more comfortable and display more nicely. Large regular water changes, gravel vacs, good filter maintenance, etc.....all the things plants like too.

As to feeding, Rainbows will eat about anything. And the thing is, they ALWAYS seem hungry. I only feed mine once a day, and much less than most would think. Resisting over feeding is better for both the Bows, plants, and the tank in general.

Here is what is on the menu for mine. Hope that helps and please feel free to reach out if there is anything I can help you with. And by the way, nice looking Beosemani you have there. Looks like very good breeding.

RainbowRob likes this.

---
---
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Gregg, I was hoping you'd find me, I've cruised your thread, do plan on reading the book. And trust me, I will be reaching out to you soon. Thanks again.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by RainbowRob; 07-28-2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Beosemani's came from a local hobbyist, craigslist believe it or not. Paid $30 for all 3. He said he breed them but didn't offer any history on the lineage so I have no clue where they came from. They are beautiful and have settled in nicely. Based on prior post above I will be doing all male. Still have the second 55, might do a group in that one. Might be fun to try.
Greggz likes this.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Thanks Gregg, I was hoping you'd find me, I've cruised your thread, do plan on reading the book. And trust me, I will be reaching out to you soon. Thanks again.
LOL reading the book.

You know the thing is, when you continue with one LONG thread, you almost need an index. I can't even find things I look for in there. And I do go back, as I reference points in time and what is going on at the moment. Is very helpful to me at times.
RainbowRob likes this.

---
---
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

"Rainbows are generally a thin fish without a lot of mass. I've always kept them at what most would consider pretty well stocked. Right now in my 120G I have 26 Bows and some Roseline's and Loaches, it that helps give you some idea."

So, with proper tank care I could get away with 4 spec. of 3 each and some cories on the sand bed for clean up? The problem is deciding which 4, so many to choose from

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode