New 50 gal - new pics 3/3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
New 50 gal - new pics 3/3

I just filled up our new 50 gal tank ($60 for the tank + stand on CL). Here's some of the specs:
lighting: Catalina 3x54W T5HO lights (2 6500K, 1 10000K) , LED striplights on the bottom back for moonlights and accent.
substrate: 80 lbs eco-complete
CO2: DIY (for now - I have to convince my wife to go for pressurized CO2)
Plants: open for suggestions - I have some crypt wendtii and microsporum to transfer from another tank but then it's swap-n-shop to see what's available.
Hardscape: bogwood and a nice metamorphosed granite rock I found.

I know the lights might be too much without pressurized CO2 but the fixture allows me to use 1, 2 or all 3 lamps so I can dial in the lighting levels I need.

Here's a photo from day 1,

Last edited by DrLav; 03-03-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
You are off to a good start. What filter do you have?

I don't know that diy co2 will really be worth your effort on a tank that size. Just run low tech with one light on until you get the wife sold on a real co2 system.

What are you planning for fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filter is a Filstar XP3. For fish we're thinking a school of tetras (cardinals maybe), a pair of gouramis, siamese algae eaters perhaps, nerite snails...?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
nice

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Transferred some plants from our 40 gal tank as a start. I'd like a collection of anubias in front of and on the wood. The sag. grass may be removed in favor of a cleaner foreground plant. There's room for some larger focal point plants in the gap between the wood and between the wood and the rock. This divides the tank into thirds for a (hopefully) balanced composition.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
Flourish Excel as an extra source of CO2?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If the DIY CO2 doesn't cut it I might have to try Excel as a stop gap until I can go pressurized. So far on my 40 gallon breeder DIY CO2 has been working well but this setup is a bit different so I'll have to play it by ear.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would recommend you read the sticky under aquascaping. I think it's comments about the "Golden Ratio" are very helpful in developing a scape pleasing to the eye. I love 50b's though and am looking forward to it's progression. Perhaps doing two DIY yeast containers each being diffused on either side and supplementing with Excel would still provide adequate CO2.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants arrived yesterday and here they are in the tank:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM
sdm
Algae Grower

What are the dimensions of that tank?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The outer dimensions are 48" wide, 17" high and 16" deep. The volume might be closer to 55 gal but I subtracted some as the inner dimensions are less.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
sdm
Algae Grower

Thank you. I'm getting ready to add some EC to a 75 and that gives me some idea of how much it will take and what it will look like
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I could probably stand to add one more bag to my tank. It's about 2" deep right now and another bag would add another 1/2" or so which might be better. I'll just have to wait and see.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

10 days later

10 days after adding new plants here's the growth:

There's a lot of roots that have formed on all of the stems and everything's looking OK so far.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
interested to see how this evolves. subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode