NeuRon's 40G RiparIwagumi - 'Fronkensteen' - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
NeuRon's 40G RiparIwagumi - 'Fronkensteen'

Tank: 40G Tall
Substrate: ADA Power Sand Special, AS-Amazonia II Normal & Powder, Nile Sand.
Hardscape: Manten Stone
Plants: HC

2 1/2 months into Dry-Start Method, almost have everything and am ready to flood halfway. I'm going to have some questions, no doubt.

Change of plans late in the game, so there have been concessions and will likely be more.

Hate the mirror back now, but I'm not about to try to strip it. Live and learn. Just have to minimize the impact now. One of the reasons for going with a riparium style.

ALGAE ISSUES. Ended up covering most of the sand to eliminate light exposure and minimize the spread.

And some issues with the HC have popped up. May have been neglect while sick, but they started out way too wet also. Did nice once dried out some, but have had this pop up as I've been dealing with algae on AS-Amazonia II.

BUT, It's not all bad...

HC creeping up the Manten Ston mountain.

Put your root down! HC looking great in this area! This is what I wanted to see.

HC creeping over Manten Stone... ...along with some hitchikers on there? Thought I saw a fissiden strand in the HC, but must have lost it while cleaning algae off soil (visible upper left of pic).

Some good moss growth on here, but also a bad algae spot on the back that needs to be taken care of.

New ADA CO2 Advance System installed today and ready for water. Plan to run light CO2 in 20 gallons, to help the HC along. Had a Do-Aqua small Music Glass that was less noticeable and required less tubing in the tank, but I broke it trying to get the tubing on. Using the ADA Pollen Glass, included in the kit, for now.

The other reason for doing a 20G fill and riparium-style upper. Location is already too cluttered (den / kid's playroom) so it was either this or no CO2. No room for a bigger "small bottle" in the stand, so I'll be paying for this convenience in the form of refills for a while. I hope to go light on the CO2.

4 - 24W small tubes (96W total). Splurged on light back when I thought I was going to be filling the 40G-Tall all the way up. Loving the light and program ability!

Dual Bio Wheels perched high, hanging out and waiting while the Cling Wrap is on. This is 1/2 of the water-return and will require some form of waterfall/-ladder to ease the transition from top of tank to mid-level waterline. I'm thinking about using small pieces of Manten Stone along the back for this purpose, but I'm still working this out.

Riparium planters have been ordered and plants will be picked out once I get the tank flooded. Thanks to Devin (ripariumsupply) for the products, suggestions and overall great customer service!

Any pointers, etc. are certainly appreciated at this point. I know this process is going to leave me with a lot of questions.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my project. I hope to keep it moving along and learn some things... ...so I can get moving on the next one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Trying to bump this thread out of limbo and into the forum (thanks for the reply, Kyle). I can only find it under my statistics page in my profile, so here goes nothing...

...IT WORKED!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
LOL I love the title. Looks good! What are you planning for the riparium part?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
i wish my HC looks that healthy when it fills in. great job so far. That black intake is very distracting from the tank however. and you have obviously noticed this yourself but that background would have been much better as a frosted back. you live and you learn (said the guy with a slim line background on a Iwagumi style tank, lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rachel - Thanks. Hydrophyte has offered to give suggestiions, and I need to do some looking around... ...quickly. I hate to fill it without having plants up top to add some competition for algae.

Something taller/bigger in the left corner with planters along the back and partially on the sides. At only 12" front-to-back, I'm not going to want anything too sprawling. But I'm thinking moss on some rafts (thank you, ripariumsupply!) to transition. Also around whatever waterfall/waterladder I decide on.

rickzta - Yep, the intake and return hardware is killing me at this point, but I'm not sure how to approach it. The glassware I've seen hasn't been long enough to make it that far down. Maybe some clear tubing can be sourced that might work. Or I could just not be so concerned with blowing the scale of things and just plant something in front of it.

Ultimately, I'll be shooting for a new tank at some point and moving over anything nice from this one. I mean, with the black frame, dark silicone, narrow depth, mirrored back and tall design, I'm just not getting that Amano-look. But I need to start seeing some progress out of this set-up before I can move on.

I might consider turning this into a bare bottom goldfish tank with planters at that point.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I think a good riparium plant for this setup would be Acorus gramineus. It would complement the HC really well IMO. Pardon if I missed this, but where will the water level be for this setup? 1/3 or 100% or?

Love the Iwagumi! Looks awesome!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I plan to fill a little over half full. Not ideal... ...but so little about this tank is.

And duly noted on the plant suggestion. Very grassy. I might like to plant some sparsley to help fill the space between other plants.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Looks great so far... Very nice light fixture btw, wouldn't mind having one of those myself =P

"Those dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music."
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuRon View Post
I plan to fill a little over half full. Not ideal... ...but so little about this tank is.

And duly noted on the plant suggestion. Very grassy. I might like to plant some sparsley to help fill the space between other plants.
I do not think that water level would be bad at all. I look foreward to you progress!

-Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I really like the look as it is now haha. Reminds me of those asian mini-landscapes. Really pretty.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
That is beautiful just like that. You have some serious talent.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice work.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all. If I can learn / get enough help as this thing progresses, and things turn out nicely, I'll be looking for a better tank. Something with some serious depth (front-to-rear) really seems cool to me (...after working with 12")

Getting interested in the alt-ariums (rip, val, pal, etc.) has taken away some real concern when thinking about something really big. 'Uhh, we'll have how many gallons of glassed-in water in our living room?' was replaced with a gasping That's beautiful! I'd totally love something like that. when we looked at JDown's 225 masterpiece.

Forgot to mention that I'm using:

FILTER: Magnum 350. I got this for 40G of water, but I'm thinking the dual returns (drop tube and dual bio-wheels) will reduce flow enough to work in 20G. Also running an inline UV filter .

Anyone have an idea how much time I'll have to get plants in the upper (having just HC below) before things get bad with algae?

Also, I need to find the suggested CO2 bubble rate for the HC after the flood. I thought I had gahered that 4-8 bpm should end up being good for healthy HC, but I don't recall a bpm for when people suggest cranking up the CO2 after flooding the tank.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Hey here is this thread. I saw your PM sorry I did not respond back it has been crazy busy here.

Do you plan to keep the HC going? Riparium plants will throw a lot of shade in the rear part of the underwater area and it will probably be too dark for it there. I try to position the underwater plants in a riparium up in the front 1/2 of the bottom area.

I can imagine two kinds of riparium plantings doing very well in this setup. This picture shows a 55 that I set up using mainly Spathiphyllum peace lilies as background plants, with Pilea (P. grandifolia and P. cardierei) planted on rafts as midground foliage.

The underwater portion has a number of crypts.

This next picture from a couple of years ago shows that same tank with a different kind of planting that involved various emersed Cryptocoryne as riparium background plants with Java fern and Anubias planted on rafts as midground foliage.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good point. I'm going to try something like this with the arrangement:

And my free, easy, on-hand and (hopefully) effective solution to droping the outlfow tube. A heat-gun is great for taking the curl out of and reshaping tubing.

And this a really bad Paint rough draft of what I' thinking with this upper. The shape, color, etc. of the plant depictions aren't accurate as to what I desire, they are only simple depictions to fill the voids... ...without any creativity. I think trying to keep the rear plants vertical growers that aren't too bushy would be good. The front-left and -right planters can have something bushier, as they're over sand, but shorter would be good.

The blob in the middle is a Manten Stone-based waterfall to transition from the dual Bio-Wheels, along with mosses.

The brown in the corners is wood (on the right to hide equipment, on the left for balance). I'll try to grow plants and mosses or whaterver I can from these as well.

If this gives anyone some good ideas on appropriate plants, I'm all ears and nooby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode