30 Gallon Tank: Hornwood/Seiryu Stone - The Planted Tank Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
30 Gallon Tank: Hornwood/Seiryu Stone

I had started this post in Aquascaping, as I needed assistance in setting up hardscape ( and as I also need help in other areas), thought I would start a journal.

I am not new to fish-keeping, have had 1-3 fish tanks running for almost 3 decades; but, as you will obviously see, I am a beginner at Plants in the aquarium. I have just started putting plants in my aquariums for the last year--- with many failures, but that was because I was not using the right plants for my lighting and fertilizing/using Excel sporadically). I do not have CO2.

Equipment:
Tank dimensions: 30" x 12" x 18"
Lighting: Current Satelite + Pro

Filters: Fluvel 206 Canister+ Marineland Emperor 150 ( will be adding cycled bio- media from another well-established tank)

Heater: Cobalt Neotherm

Airpump: Eheim

Substrate: ADA Amazonia Light and Caribsea Instant Aquarium Crystal River

Hardscape material: Seiryu Stone and ADA Hornwood

Plants:
Java Fern Trident 4
Monte Carlo x 5
Ludwigia Natans Super Red 2
Bunch
Echinodorus Horemanii Red Sword 1
Java Fern Narrow Mini 3
Will add the Italian Val, Crypt Parva, and Anubias Pinto from other tanks.
*Still need to order: Moss ( not sure what kind to get- need suggestions) and Buce ( new to Buce as well, would like suggestions).

I am planting these today. If anyone has suggestions on placement of plants please do offer your suggestions--- I need all the help I can get.

Plants:

This is the hardscape:

Questions:

*The Monte Carlo- should I cut it into 3 sections (or more) each and plant or should I plant the larger clump all together?

* Any suggestions on placement?
mgeorges likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice hardscape!

This is my opinion for plant layout. Quick doodle while at work

Background:
Ludwigia super reds
Java fern trident (furthest back)
Java fern narrow mini (in front)

Midground:
I'd prefer a slow growing moss for slower growth and less maintenance.
Fissidens fontanus or riccardia chamedryfolia.

Or willow moss if you want a higher maintenance plant.

I like to attach moss to hardscape with 100% cotton thread over glue. I say cotton thread because it will eventually disintegrate and the moss should be attached by that time.

Between the rocks, you can get clumps of buce or anubias. Small bushes of bucephalandra mini coin would like nice, which is what I had in mind. Going the buce route will get spendy though! I think any buce brownie species would look great. You can shop around for the colors/shapes/textures you like the most.

Foreground:
Monte carlo.

If you have the patience, split the monte carlo into the smallest pieces possible. An extreme example would be stem by stem. That would give you the highest chances of growth and success. The bigger the clumps, the more each stem needs to battle for flow and light.

Not sure how to place your echinodorus though!

Good luck!
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

@SifuSeafood : This is wonderful! Thank you! I will follow this to a tee

I was going to put the Sword in right back corner to hide my filter intakes and heater. It was more a plant to hide all that I didnt want visible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Its cloudy-- but done!
At least for today.

OVT and The Dude1 like this.

post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here is the less cloudy version.
Im not liking the sword plant, so it is coming out today.
I will look for a higher light plant to group over there--- maybe another as well to fill in back-middle and remove some of the Monte Carlo.
Ordered a bracket to elevate the light higher.
Sorry for all the reflection in photo- it was a point and shoot pic.

post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am in need of assistance: Because I used the Amazonia Light for the substrate ( I did mix in some Caribsea sand as well) I tested for Ammonia today expecting to need to do a water change and didn't have an ammonia reading. So, I guess Ill wait until tomorrow.

I have a question about liquid fertilizer,.. Should I wait to start adding liquid fertilizer until the tank cycles ( I did put a filter on another well-established tank for a few weeks so the tank should cycle pretty quickly) or should I wait for two-three weeks to begin fertilizing?
I will be adding some higher light plants next week in back- probably some Rotala and/or Ludwigia sp. along back wall and some Fissedens moss on branches.

And... another question: With the Fissedens moss, the online seller has some on stainless steel in 1.5- 3 inch sections. Would I wrap this around the branch and then tie with cotton thread or fishing line? How far apart? Would 10-15 1.5 inch square sections make a good start? Or 6 3 inch? I am not sure how much I need or how it would be best to apply to branches.

post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:39 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I start fertilization the day I plant.

Fissedens is relatively slow growing. If you want the finished look then estimate how much you want: add the lengths of branch sections where you want the moss and multiply by about 2. That is the number of square inches you want to start with.

Remove the moss from mesh and tie with cotton thread. Easier done with water level down. You can also use crazy glue but it turns white in water.
The Dude1, Discusluv and dfuqua like this.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay- great! Ill start fertilizing at 1/3 dosage as you had advised me earlier tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip on the moss to calculate what is needed. It looks like this moss, from my little bit of reading, will take the least amount of maintenance. That it also grows snug to branch. It is very nice looking as well.

post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 04:53 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Heads up from my experience: the wood branches that are within ~4" from the surface and are in the current is where I get black dots of BBA in higher light. That and the tip of the outflow. The tank can be 99% algae free except those areas. Easily comes off with a fingernail, but still a nuance. You might want to do moss 3/4 way up and see how it goes at first.
Discusluv likes this.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, Okay! Thanks for that heads up, I definitely dont want to make it too easy for BBA to grow.
I wont be filling out the whole branches anyways, its pretty expensive. But, I didn't see any other type of moss that wasnt really high maintenance or grow as closely to the wood as I would of liked.

I have been fighting BBA in my 180 gallon. I have really had to work at keeping it under control. It is now just confined to one piece of spider-wood and my heaters. Such a pain to get rid of.
The Dude1 likes this.

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
From an aquascaping standpoint, I won't put anything with any height on the right side. It will just takeaway from the nice work you did on the left. Even the rock on the right is probably a little big, but you can get a way with it.

Trust me, with Aquasoil, you can't change too much water. You should be changing water everyday regardless of test kit readings. Without co2, good light you need to remove as much organics as possible since plant uptake will be slower. Change water, add ferts, change water, add ferts. That keeps the water low on organics and the plants fed.
Discusluv likes this.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks @houseofcards.

I could see that the sword was all wrong, but thought if I added stem plants it would "balance it out" somehow.My mind seems to be disturbed by the lack of symmetry,weight to each side. But then i like this void as well. I go back and forth.

I will just order the Fissedens then, no stem plants.
I can take the rock out if this would make the design better.
Both water change and fertilizer on tap for today.
The Dude1 likes this.

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You did a fantastic job and I agree with everything. Fissedens is a tough one. It has only done well for me in some shade and high flow... very weird... and its grows SLOW... vesicularia mini is my favorite. Grows much faster and has a nice sense look. I got mine from Herns.
Discusluv likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, Dude- not too bad for a noob-lol!

Now I need to try to find a CO2 system, but first need to do some study on them. Seems complicated.
My husband was looking at a dual-stage one on Greenleaf, it was around 1000.00- really more than I want to spend. I saw in another post that you had recommended someone who had built you one- a member here?

Ill look for v. mini- I didn't see it at Buceplant, which is primarily where I order because they are in California. I haven't heard of Herns- Ill check it out

Edit: Oh! v. mini is Christmas Moss! I did see that- didn't recognize the scientific name.
If it would have been the scientific name of a characin or cichlid I would of had a clue, but plants- not so much...

Recommendations anyone?

What other plants ( mosses, buces or other?) should I get to soften look of rock-work?
The Dude1 likes this.

Last edited by Discusluv; 07-15-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: more info
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Thanks, Dude- not too bad for a noob-lol!

Now I need to try to find a CO2 system, but first need to do some study on them. Seems complicated.
My husband was looking at a dual-stage one on Greenleaf, it was around 1000.00- really more than I want to spend. I saw in another post that you had recommended someone who had built you one- a member here?

Ill look for v. mini- I didn't see it at Buceplant, which is primarily where I order because they are in California. I haven't heard of Herns- Ill check it out

Edit: Oh! v. mini is Christmas Moss! I did see that- didn't recognize the scientific name.
If it would have been the scientific name of a characin or cichlid I would of had a clue, but plants- not so much...

Recommendations anyone?

What other plants ( mosses, buces or other?) should I get to soften look of rock-work?
Alan Le. He's a member on here, but I dont know how often he's on. I can give you his number and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you texting him. I spent about $510 on mine and it is immaculate. Dual stage, all stainless, and 2 separate Parker needle valves. Last I checked they were the best on the market. Adding the second was like $100 or so. With just one needle valve you would probably be around $400. I can't recommend him enough. I'm going to have him build another for my 150 to replace the trash aquatek I wasted $100 on.
I have always had my best luck in lowtech conditions with slow growers (anubias, ferns, mosses, buce) by having floating plants. Duckweed is easy, but I really like salvinia minima. Unfortunately the duckweed outcompete it... so I have very little now. Duckweed does the job very nicely though. You've really got to be careful on lighting with the slow growers. They need ALOT less light than you think. I've seen my best algae free growth with a 6 hour photoperiod. That's not fun though which is why I'm switching over to dimmable fixtures that ramp up and down or adding TC421 to my existing fixtures.
I wouldn't change anything about your scape.. well.... except some buce on the rocks. I've had good success with:
Brownie (all variants)
Belinda
Black Pearl
Hades
Theia (several variants)
Amandae
With these I periodically take them out and do 10 seconds in 25% gluteraldehyde. Kills off any forming BBA and boosts growth. I have most attached to small pieces of black lava rock so I can remove them and dip them. Others are affixed to smaller driftwood branches that allow for the same thing. I'm getting closer to getting lighting figured out so that hopefully I wont have to keep doing that. The sterilizer has helped dramatically with BBA. Likely kills spores. I also prefer junglefowl bucephelandra to buceplant. I've just had much better luck and easier adaptation to my tanks
Discusluv likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode