• 1 Post By swarley
  • 1 Post By Kubla
  • 1 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Foo box

I feel a little sheepish here, because this will not be a tantalizing, uber-tech setup. But, after moving cross country, this is one of the tanks I was able to keep and I Have.To. Have. a tank running. This will be a Fast Forward because I have been saving my posts until the forum was fixed!

The photo is from Day 14 of a fishless cycle setup. I used mature media and the cycle is complete. Everything on this one is sort of an experiment.

Fluval Edge 12 with new 42 LED fixture.

Aqua Clear 20 HOB with extension added to intake pipe and impeller switched out for one from an Aqua Clear 50 for better flow.

Cobalt Neotherm heater.

Substrate: Eco-complete mixed with some Torpedo Beach sand that made the trip.

Fertilizer: Using a single squirt of Thrive weekly.

My idea is that this isn't made for a lush 'scape, given the tank limitations so I'll be attaching Java and Anubias to a central figure so I'm not trying to reach way down to fiddle with plants. There is one rooted Val spiralis in the corner because I wanted to try it. It's brave, but it's melted a bit.

That central figure isn't here yet so the Java is just floating around along with the Hornwort clipped to the walls (to keep it neat) and the Marimo balls and duckweed tumbling about as well. I'll tidy that up once the Giant Foo Dog arrives and I can attach plants to it.

I'll also have to glue a black piece of sponge in the Foo's mouth so the Betta, who is arriving tomorrow with an army of Nerites, doesn't swim inside and get his foolish fish self stuck. There's also an intake sponge on the filter to keep the hornwort trash out and the Betta fins safe.

Said Betta is a Black Orchid Crown Tailed fellow coming from Green Oasis Farms in Arizona. Gosh I hope he makes it. Will update when they get here.
Opinions invited!

Last edited by Fisherking; 07-11-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: wrong place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So issues have come up. The nerites arrived and are all working the tank but the Betta was DOA. Now I have the problem of how to keep the bacteria in the filter "fed" until the replacement Betta arrives in two weeks. Decided to remove the mature ceramic media and place it in another tank which is undergoing a fishless, ammonia-assisted cycle so it can maintain it's population. I'll run this Edge on its two sponges that were also in the media basket and watch the ammonia closely for the snails' sake. Once the fish comes, I'll replace the ceramic media.

The Giant Foo Dog arrived and I spent an hour pinching off baby Java ferns and glueing them all over the Foo. This makes him look extra fierce. I'm delighted by this as I've never had a figure in a tank before, but he somehow fits the "Lost in a Thai Jungle" look I'm imagining.

The Vals are hanging in there and I see one shoot coming up.

I'm hoping the snails have enough to eat; they seem to be ignoring the "Algae Wafer for Snails" pellet I placed in there for them....

Foo pictures to follow

Last edited by Fisherking; 07-11-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: bumping, why?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The Foo in "Foo Box", all the Java plantlets I could pinch off and glue. Someone said in a tank journal superglue doesn't work. We'll find out.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm so sorry to hear about your betta! I had my first DOA ever two weeks ago, and it was shipped from within my state! I think the climate becoming more unpredictable is making it harder to ship fish during the summer.

I would try to figure out a way to borrow a "loaner" fish from somewhere local if you possibly can. If not, adding fish food to the tank might work but I've never done that so I'm not sure how much/how often you should add it since you just want to maintain the cycle.
Fisherking likes this.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Crossing my fingers for the new betta.
Fisherking likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Decided yesterday that I'm not going to risk another disheartening DOA shipment and will take plants in exchange for what the Betta vendor owes me. So what do I do?

There's a Betta that I had my eye on locally who has survived at least 2 weeks in the Betta Cups of Mordor. I saw him about 2 weeks ago and he's been on my mind. He was active in his cup yesterday, the water was actually clean and he has no obvious problems. So I took him home. I know this isn't a high quality fish, but Bettas are pets. And at least he didn't arrive DOA. He's had a day in his tank and, if a fish could show wonder and astonishment at suddenly finding himself in 12 gallons of planted home, I think he is doing so. He is indifferent to the Foo...Will post his photo once I name him.

What the cashier told me: When I go out the door of the store, I must raise the Betta cup above the detector gates because they've found it kills them to pass through the field. Urban Legend? Having just watched Dr. Strange the night before, I decided to believe her and marched out of the store, Betta held over my head.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This is Silk.

Silk has survived the Betta Cups of Mordor and did not die when passing through the Detector Gates of Walmart. I think he's quite young because of his tiny size. He has inhabited the Foo Box for four days now and began eating his Betta bits yesterday. I'm going to try an online source for frozen bloodworms to make him happy.

Last edited by Fisherking; 07-11-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Silk is thriving. He has a new shipment of Javas, anubia, and Tiger Lily that simply got thrown into his tank (after a good wash) upon arrival. I'll tidy things up this weekend but, for now, he seems to enjoy getting stuck in the bushes and then extracting himself. Once free, he immediately dives back in--perhaps this is his workout.

The corner planted with Val Spiralis has five new shoots even as the original leaves continue to melt down. Pics once I do some housework.

I removed all of the Horn wort since it's starting to shed needles and junk up the tank. The Java ferns are temporarily rubberbanded to a stone and the Anubias has been superglued to a nice, smooth "river rock". Since it's such a young tank, I put some Sweet Potato Vine cuttings in it to keep up with nitrates. These vines have always grown like crazy for me.

Silk's first encounter with his bloodwrom treat was a FAIL. He ignored it and kept searching the skies for his Kiblies. After missing two meals (deliberate on my part), I saw him picking on his Nerite for the first time and decided to try the worms again. Silk is now a Blood Worm Predator. Now I only feed those weekly right before his water change to keep the tank clean.

This tank is annoying me with its height. It's not that it's difficult to work in (the usual complaint about the Edge 12), but I feel a little at a loss as to what tall plants will grow in it to fill it in. Suggestions are welcome.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So fast forward 5-6 weeks and there have been some changes: I was disappointed with the growth of the plants I had in the 12 gallon. I'd hoped I had enough light but it may just be too tall a tank OR my water is way too hard (off the chart of my test kit). Can't seem to get the tall vals forest I wanted to thrive and it's bare at the top half of the tank.

So I moved Silk and 4 of his Nerites and his Foo to the 6 gallon Edge (keeping the 42 LED fixture) and placed the other plants into a 10 gallon grow out tank. Things look tighter and tidier and I don't see much change in Silk. There is an anubia attached to a smooth flat rock and the Foo still has a crop of Java Fern on its back. At this point, it is underplanted to my eye.

I'm not happy with how the Java looks after it generates young java since the parent leaf begins to degenerate, so will probably replace it and glue anubias to the Foo when I get some new plants.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Anubias with suction cups and zip ties work well stuck to the walls of my tall tank. That being said, I gave up on the 12g Edge a while ago and I'm about to pull the plug on the 6g.
Fisherking likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
What the cashier told me: When I go out the door of the store, I must raise the Betta cup above the detector gates because they've found it kills them to pass through the field. Urban Legend? Having just watched Dr. Strange the night before, I decided to believe her and marched out of the store, Betta held over my head.
Funny. I have never heard of that happening, and I've carried plenty of bettas out of petsmart and petco's detector gates. Maybe the ones at walmart have a different kind of beam that is more harmful?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
I'm not happy with how the Java looks after it generates young java since the parent leaf begins to degenerate, so will probably replace it and glue anubias to the Foo when I get some new plants.
Have you considered buce?
Fisherking likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Funny. I have never heard of that happening, and I've carried plenty of bettas out of petsmart and petco's detector gates. Maybe the ones at walmart have a different kind of beam that is more harmful?
I'm supposing it was urban legend, but didn't take any chances!

Bump: Purchased a small bottle of Repashy "Grub Pie" for fish. This is a mix it yourself gel food and the main ingredients are black soldier fly larvae and krill. While it's mainly for my Jikin tank (goldfish), it seems like something a Betta might go for.

I'm interested to try it with him once it arrives.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode