45 Gallon, Low LED Light, Low Tech Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
45 Gallon, Low LED Light, Low Tech Tank

I have been using this tank as a riparium for about 15 months, but I got bored with it as such at that location in the room. So, like most of us, boredom means try something else. Here is how far I am, as of right now:

This is the story about the LED light: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...llon-tank.html

Tomorrow I need to put some wall paint on the support for the light, so it fades into the background a bit better, and replumb my automatic water change system into a manual, open a valve-water top off system.

I will be using MTS topped with Flourite for a substrate. The MTS is ready now, but I asked my daughter for the Flourite as a birthday present, and that is a week away, so I can't proceed much further for another week.
RipariumGuy and RipariumGuy like this.

Hoppy

Last edited by Hoppy; 02-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Nice hoppy, i've used flourite with good results. lt's so high in iron pretty much grows a lot of plants not to mention that it looks so natural. My micro sword grew so well when it was planted in my 40g filled with flourite. l still love ada soil tho . looking forward to seeing your led project come together.

----gauny----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yay another Hoppy tank, I always enjoy your LED discussions. Looking forward to the tank getting filled. Is it going to be another riparium?

Canon Pimp Club #032

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
Yay another Hoppy tank, I always enjoy your LED discussions. Looking forward to the tank getting filled. Is it going to be another riparium?
No, a riparium at that location in the room just doesn't work well enough. The light from the big patio door window just gives too many reflections and the brightness overwhelms a riparium. Plus, as I said, boredom set in

This will be a regular tank, non-CO2, low light, Excel, with some fish I haven't kept before.

Hoppy
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am lazy. Water changes and water topping off are two jobs I tend to neglect - "I'll do that tomorrow." So, I like to make those jobs as easy as I can. When this tank was a riparium, with the water level about 3/4 full, I used an automatic water change system. A drip irrigation timer would come on once a day, letting water flow through a drip flow limiter for about 20 minutes. That would allow about 3 gallons of water to flow into the tank, where an overflow would limit the water height, slowly draining off about 3 gallons of the 33 in the tank every day.

With the much higher water level I will now have I can't use that system - too much risk that if the overflow loses its siphon I would spill over water onto the floor. (The overflow lost its siphon once in 15 months, so it does happen.) I have modified that system so I will turn on a valve to top off the water, watching it to be sure I don't overfill the tank. The overflow is extended so it limits the water height to be about an inch from the top of the tank. To do water changes, I will open the original water height overflow to drain it down so I can replace about 1/4 of the water at a time, using the same refill valve to add the new water. (I swear I will do this "today" not tomorrow.) Here is what the overflow looks like:

The first is the normal position, and the second, the water change position - the white tee has about 20 1/16" holes in it. You can see the other half of the overflow through the black back, behind the tank.

And, the water inlet looks like:

Hoppy
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am starting to get the plants I ordered from the S n S forum, and for now they are floating in the tank, 1/4 filled, with a heater and powerhead. I've given away most of the mass of needleleaf Java Fern I had growing on pieces of bogwood, so my plan is to pile up the pieces (artistically, of course ) with just a few needleleaf Java Ferns growing on it. Then I will have a grove of Val nana (hopefully) growing in one corner, with a partial lawn of Staurogyne 049, some crypts and miscellaneous stem plants adding enough biomass to quickly cycle the tank.

But, I'm still waiting for my birthday to see if I have to buy the Flourite. If you are curious, I was born just 3 years before the start of WWII in Europe - I remember it well

Hoppy
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I really like the water change system. I wish I was in a position (i.e., not on the second floor of a rented apartment) where I could set up something similar. Nicely done!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Happy early birthday Hoppy, I hope you get your fluorite so you can get those plants planted. I've always wanted to try growing a staurogyne sp. but haven't had an empty space in a tank for it when I've found it for sale. Have you decided yet on fauna?

Canon Pimp Club #032
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I got some Staurogyne on SnS, so that is one plant I will be trying. And, I'm looking for vallisneria nano for one corner. Plus, I have lots of needleleaf Java Fern for the other corner, with a pile of bogwood for it to grow on. As fill in plants, possibly temporary, I have an assortment of stem plants. Finally, my little 8 gallon nano cube has too much growth of crypts in it, so some or all of them will be in the midground areas.

I'm still debating about fish. A lot depends on what I find at the LFS when I go shopping for them, but I want 2-3" long fish this time instead of my usual 1-2" fish. I figure I can put about 12-14 in the tank without overdoing it.

Hoppy
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I scored a very nice birthday present yesterday - a Ben Franklin. So, I just bought 12 kg of Fluval Stratum hoping to use it over MTS, which I spent considerable effort making. If I get too many responses saying that it would be a bad idea to put it on the MTS, I still have funds left to go for another 8 kg of the Fluval substrate.

We have a local store here called JoJo's Aquarium, which just doubled its size, and it is now a spectacular LFS, worth a visit just for the pleasure of looking at all the goodies for a planted tank. That's where I got the substrate.

Tank setup day is tomorrow!

Hoppy
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I showed my buddy your WC systems since he is a plumber. I figured he could help me with doing the same thing, right? Nope! He said you were sick and needed to get into his profession.

Your tanks are like the "showtime rotisserie"! You just set it, and.............. Forget it!!

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The key to that kind of water change system is this:

The trombone shaped outlet tube is the overflow, which doesn't lose its siphon when water drops below the level of the out fitting in the tank. The drain/overflow fitting inside the tank can be at any level higher than the top of the loop outside the tank, and it still works well. For this application that drain level is about an inch below the top of the tank.

The other key is drip irrigation parts - a cheap timer/valve that turns on once a day for a set length of time, and a constant flow restrictor, which lets it run a specific amount of water into the tank every day. I plumb the drain though the outer wall to a bucket outside, where I collect it to water patio plants all summer.

Hoppy
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I now have the substrate in. Fluval Stratum is little black balls, between about 1/16" and 1/8" in diameter. The instructions on the bag say to gently rinse it before use, so I did, and I used my MTS under it, in the back 2/3 of the tank. Here is what the substrate looks like:

It is certainly black! The bright "sun" in the middle is a US dime. And, it doesn't look like it could be a nutrient filled substrate, but it claims to be. Planting in it is very easy, just poke stems in it to the bottom and they stay there as you withdraw the tweezers. I plant without water in the tank though.

Hoppy
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Finished, for now. A few more plants to add, and waiting for the water to clear. Now, anytime I touch the substrate a little cloud of dust billows up. Only 3 plants floated out when the water was added, so the substrate does a good job holding them in place.

Hoppy
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Gently rinse means don't spray it with 100psi when it comes to the Stratum, because it will tear apart, however it doesn't mean just run some water over it for a couple seconds because it loooooves to be cloudy lol. I got so frustrated with it, but now I have figured it out, I put a couple inches into a 5 gallon bucket and tip it at about a 45 degree angle and let the water flood the bottom for a few minutes, eventually it will become "somewhat" clear lol, but it gets rid of that cloudy dust. But don't worry after a few water changes of your setup you will be good to go. I have ran it for a few months and both my plants and shrimp love it. Also dont be surprised if you have a wierd brown film on your glass and items in the tank for a little while that dust is really fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode