AquaBarren's Osaka 320 - Ver 2.0 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
AquaBarren's Osaka 320 - Ver 2.0

Hi Folks,

I finally got around to rescaping my tank last weekend. Here's the old thread for the curious: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...aka-320-a.html

Major changes:
  • replaced large-grain Flora Max with Eco-Complete.
    • I have ADA AS in a nano and find it to be a pain to work with. Eco-Complete on the other hand has been very easy. Plants actually stay rooted. So eco it was.
  • move to an easier to maintain layout
    • reduced stem plants
  • add hardscape...manzanita this time
Past upgrades that will remain:
  • Aquaticlife 4x54w fixture with moon LEDs.
    • I only run 2 bulbs at a time and use the switch to vary spread and direction of light source as well as use two combinations o bulbs - midday for morning and flora for a more subdued look in the evening.
  • I swapped out an Ehein Pro 3 2076 (great filter) for a Fluval G6 to make maint even easier. I've decided that good flow and a clean system is as much a function of keeping a filter in top condition than any other gadget or technique and the ease of cleaning the Gs is a great aid to doing so.
Lessons learned:
  • swapping a substrate is a MAJOR pain. A job I hope to repeat very infrequently.
  • attach wood to slate or something no matter how sure you are it won't float. Not worth the nuisance if it does, so be safe.
The process took me two days due to schedule. Could have been done it in a day if I had more contiguos time.

I used these baking pans and covers to store plants over night. Made organizing them easy and replanting very simple:

I stored the fish in some 5g buckets. All survived overnight except for the Rummynose. Nearly all didn't make it. I assume temperature was the culprit and wish I'd added a heater. This was the biggest error in the process.

It's impossible to remove fish until the tank is empty of obstructions. Like finding noodles in soup, got easier as water was drained. For me that is, not for the fish.

So, old substrate out (did I mention what a mess and pain that was), eco-complete in, Manzanita bought from mr. Barr in its place (BarrZanita?):

I've yet to master getting a good picture of a tank, but here are a few views:

Night view. LEDs are on until midnight, then all lights out. I really don't know, but it seemed the fish were more active, less restful with the LEDs on. Decided that may not be the best for their health and since I'm asleep by then....lights out.

There are some more plants coming and I will wait to add fish for a while, so more pics to come as it matures. There is a lot of red/bronze in the tank. I like plants in those colors, but at the moment there isn't enough of a green background to set them off. The Blyxa is a little yellow, which may be from shipment still. We'll see as things grow out. There are sure to be some minor adjustments.

I have to say that eco-complete is very easy to work with. Stick a plant in and is stays. It is loaded with root tabs. It may not be AS, but I'm very satisfied with it.

I may go back to the stock fixture since I don't need the light output of the Aquaticlife. The superior reflectors to the OEM Hagen Glo produces more light. If I get my hands on a PAR meter I'll verify that and document result for those interested. Impression though is that it is MUCH brighter. I'll also continue CO2. I don't care about growth rate, but do care about appearance and robustness. I see no downside to continuing CO2, expense is minimal since the H/W investment was made, so that stays.

Things never work out to quite what I envision, but I am very happy with the look of the new substrate over the old flora-max, the BarrZanita looks good and I'm looking forward to the layout maturing ad adding a new feature fish. I'vealways like Bosemani rainbows, but haven't decided if they are a little big for a 48" tank. Plenty room for them to live and do well, just not sure of the scale for appearances sake. Should be fine, but I haven; decided.

Thanks to all that I bought plants from and to Tom for trekking into the hills for manzanita. Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques always welcome.

AB

Thanks for looking. More to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
gorgeous!

Patti
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A wonderful beginning! I wish you the best of luck as the rescape progresses.

Did you soak the Manzanita/BarrZanita? Also, is it attached to slate or are you keeping it down, for the time being, with large rocks?

I'm also looking forward to learning more about how your daughter's 33g Fluval Studio 600 aquarium has been developing with the LED lighting.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

That wood is amazing!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Awesome Hardscape! I love the Osaka's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

I didn't soak the manzanita first. All pieces seemed very dense. Lesson learned. I had some rocks availavle so for now, they are holding things in place. I may keep some of them, lose a couple, but will be taking my time to be safe. Next time I'll just screw slate to the bottoms. That seems the easiest way to keep submerged and in the position of choice. These were some big pieces....too big for the tub even if the family would have tolerated them in their for a week.

Askindc, the Double Bright fixture is growing the low-light plants very well. I'll post an update to that thread soon with new pictures to show the change over time.

Thaks all,
AB

Fluval G6
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

I didn't soak the manzanita first. All pieces seemed very dense. Lesson learned. I had some rocks available so for now, they are holding things in place. I may keep some of them, lose a couple, but will be taking my time to be safe. Next time I'll just screw slate to the bottoms. That seems the easiest way to keep submerged and in the position of choice. These were some big pieces....too big for the tub even if the family would have tolerated them in there for a week.

Askindc, the Double Bright fixture is growing the low-light plants very well. I'll post an update to that thread soon with new pictures to show the change over time.

Thanks all,
AB
Many thanks for posting the additional information so rapidly.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
*jaw on floor* That is simply one of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. You’ve got great balance with the colors and shapes. Really impressive.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Very nicely done! Those lilies make me wish I had a bigger tank...

No Pimp Club.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Betta, Roy!

Roy, lilies can be kept small. Keep them trimmed small and they eventually start to grow compact. Trimming becomes less frequent from there. Really a great, easy plant. Give one a try.

Fluval G6
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

Oh wow. Amazing.

Where did you get the wood? Do they have more like that? Was it crazy expensive? I was planning to use mopani and similar, but that is so much more striking and more in line with what I was working through in my head...

Also, replacing substrate is looking just as torturous as I feared... really wishing I'd gone with Eco-Complete instead of sand first now.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nice, that wood is killer.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Tank looks great any updates?

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
This is really nice. That is a good old-fashioned plant layout with lots of great stuff in it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update - 10 months later

Hi folks,

I thought I'd upload some updated pics. A few have asked to see how its matured. I've made a handful of minor changes, but for the most part the tank is the same as it was after the last redo, just a lot of growth and maturity.

Biggest change has been in occupants...added Bosemani (what a great fish), Stiphodons (another great fish, a L183 that I see once every few months.

The tank has been very stable. Maintenance is very low compared to the stems I had previously. The only stems I have now are some A. reneickii that are the first plant I bought and I just can't bear to get rid of them completely. About time for a trim.

Here is the latest, 10 months later.

I added Amanos, they seem to be doing well.

They love the Lotus leaves, submerged or at the surface, they always hover around them. At th surface, they cling to the bottoms and nibble around the edges.

Look closely, the Stiphodons often perch themselves on leaves.

The P. Gertrudae Aru II are also great little fish...tons of personality and beautiful form and color. Wish I could get a picture of them...this is the best of 20 attempts.

Someday I'll buy an SLR and take a good picture. Just can't seem to take a good one and do the tank justice.

All the best,
AB (Rob)

Fluval G6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode