4Likes
  • 6 Post By blazeyreef
  • 1 Post By blazeyreef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
12 Long Journal

I dont have a cool name for it yet, so its still just the 12 long journal ha.

This is a slower build. Ive put off starting my thread because the last little while not much has happened. I picked up a Mr. Aqua 12 long over memorial weekend for like $90. I have had my eye on it for a while, I like the footprint, the look, all of it. And it fits well into my specific space.

Ive gone back and forth with my goals and plans for the tank. I firstly wanted a river scene, then I wanted to try my hand at dutch. Ive kind of been all over. Ive been largely out of the tank scene for a while. I started to get back into it last fall but my job suddenly took me to Russia for 6 months so that ended that real quick. However I expect to be put a while now, so I wanted to see if I could really get back into this thing. Ive always loved having tanks around and planted tanks are obviously the best!

Originally I had only pool filter sand in there. But after looking at the empty tank with just PFS and water for a couple weeks, I decided it was just tooo...bright. So. On a complete whim I mixed in some leftover eco-complete I had laying around. Some of it is really tiny granuales and mixed in well with the PFS but of course there are larger pieces too. At the moment, I like the look (and thats all that matters right?). We will see how I feel about it in a month or two..... hopefully I still like it. I feel like the larger granuales sitting on top kind of add, in a way, to the natural "river" scene I seem to be forming. I wanted to add some driftwood (or maybe just one nice piece, I have a mental picture of what I want) but I havent found the right piece yet. My local LFS carries next to nothing and its the only one for miles and miles. So basically i'll have to find a piece online.

At the moment its still cycling. It should be done soon, its been running a while. Up until yesterday I only had some cheaper plants from the local LFS in there to keep it from being completley bare. However I recently got some plants from people here on the forum and its now its looking a lot better. Also this week my new light came, so its shaping up.

Im doing this deal on a budget so each paycheck is something new. This paycheck was the light, next paycheck I want to upgrade the filter. I currently am just running an aquaclear HOB but I want to upgrade to a canister. Havent fully decided which one yet.

My goals fish-wise is, I want a pair of main focus fish. I was thinking possibly kribs or even peacock gudeon. Then perhaps a small school of tiny rasboras and some pygmy cories if I could find them.

Anyways. It likely wont be the most phenomenal tank on here and my journal keeping skills surely leave something to be desired. However I enjoy reading through the journals and I figured it would be fun to keep my own. So. Here it is.

Tank- 12 Long

Substrate - Pool Filter Sand/ Eco Complete mix

Heater- Regular 200W heater

Filter- HOB Aquaclear with intention to upgrade ***

Light- Current Satelite + 36-48

CO2- Good ole fashioned DIY method

Fish- none ATM

Plants - (currently, subject to change..) Micro Sword, Bolbitis, Mini Pellia, Christmas moss, Anubis nana, currently mystery crypt, a mystery lfs hygro...

I appologize for the crappy phone pics. One things settle in and it looks nicer i'll get out the tripod and camera and take some better shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180604_235748.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	863785  

Name:	20180611_135034(1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	863793  

Name:	20180622_103336.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	863801  

jmontee, jmontee, mgeorges and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What kind of circulation pump are you running on the right-hand side? Liking the scape you have done. Looks kind of like a cross section of a creek. Tuned in for the progress of this one also

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhrtn View Post
What kind of circulation pump are you running on the right-hand side? Liking the scape you have done. Looks kind of like a cross section of a creek. Tuned in for the progress of this one also

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ha thanks! I actually quite like it as well. Im hoping everything fills in well.

The pump is just a leftover from an old 3gal kit from petco I think. It was part of the filter. So it is not particularly strong but its enough to keep the top of the water from getting stagnant. I plan to get a canister with enough umph to not need a extra power head.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love how the sand mix turned out. Definitely took the edge off the brightness and looks natural
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I agree! Im glad someone else thinks is passes for natural, ha. That was my goal.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its been awhile since I updated. Im horrible at keeping journals. The tank is roughly two months old at this point. Tank inhabitants are six flame tetras, two peacock gudgeons and a german blue ram. Oh and an otto. The peacock gudgeons were the first inhabitants and I didnt see them for a week and a half. But once I got the tetras they basically joined the school of tetras and now they are constantly out for hours at a time. Its pretty awesome because they are such beautiful fish! Im going to work on getting some photos to share.

Ive had some ups and downs as far as the tank goes. I went through a stretch where the algae growth was REALLY bad. I lost a nitrite snail because he crawled out of the tank and I didnt notice for some time. The aquaclear HOB filter just does not provide enough water movment to really serve the aquarium well. l am having to do regular water changes (2x week) until I upgrade the filter.

In all the plants are growing well. I need to get more stems going on the right side. I had a vision and somewhere between my head and actuality, it got dreadfully lost.

I have NEVER been able to grow moss (dunno why, it always dies) but this time around it seems to be doing alright. hoping for the best. I had some major melting of crypts and vals but they are coming back also. My microsword is growing ever so slowly.

In all im happy with its progression. I always come on here and look at others tanks and then go back and look at mine and wonder what im doing wrong but honestly for how little maintenance this little guy requires, im pretty happy with it.

Bump: My only regret it going with the lighter colored subtrate. I thought it would be more natural and in some ways it is. in person I like it way better than in that picture. But I guess now that i have it, in reality, having it look more authentic means less to me than it just looking nice. And I think a darker substrate would help it look less....cheap? somehow?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0011.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	866559  

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	866561  

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	866563  

painter of blight likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode