Fresh's 48gallon Journal - w/ Sumida Aquarium visit! - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Fresh's 48gallon Journal - w/ Sumida Aquarium visit!

Long time member here and I finally worked up the courage to create a journal of my aquascape adventure.

A little background...
Back in 2011 my better half gifted me a Fluval Flora aquarium kit for my birthday. It came with a 7gal tank, internal filter, light, manual co2 kit, and stratum. It was one of the best gifts I've ever received. Instantly I was hooked and my aquascape addiction began.

This little guy was the first inhabitant of that Fluval Ebi. A male red eyed puffer. I wish I had pictures of the scape I had going in the Ebi but for what ever reason I can't seem to find any.
I joined TPT around that time and because I owned a fresh water puffer, I picked the username FreshPuff. Looking back now, I regret not choosing a more creative username lol.

I moved on to a 17 gallon a couple years later. This setup was a bit more advanced than the Fluval Ebi. I started dry fert dosing instead of buying the Seachem liquid fertilizer line. I switched over from canister filtration to a wet/dry setup. For lighting I used the Hagen HO t5 light fixture. The Giesemann t5 combo I used over the tank gave the plants and fish great color. I've yet to experience this sort of color after switching to LED later on.
Heres a picture at it's prime. Occupying the tank were some praecox rainbow,green neon tetras, and neon blue rasbora.

Fast forward 7 years...
Early January of this year I decided it was time to get my arms wet in a larger aquarium. I debated over a few different aquarium brands but ultimately decided on an ADA 90p.

Heres the setup details.

Tank: drilled ADA 90p
Stand: Custom made by local builder
Lights: 2x Ecotech Radion XR15FW w/ DIY diffusors, DIY rails, and UNS hanging kit,
Overflow: Custom ModularMarine overflow with Herbie style plumbing
Filter: Eshopps AZU-100 w/ Ecotech Vectra M1 pump
CO2: 5lb tank -->GLA regulator-->Rex Grigg reactor
Stratum: Tropica aquarium soil.
Scape materials: ADA wood and Yamaha stone
The hardscape I settled on.

A picture of the inner workings below.

The DIY Grigg Reactor:

Once the hardscape was completed, it was time to move on to planting.
Plants:
Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshen'
Rotala Rotundifolia 'green'
Myriophyllum mini Guyana
Rotala sp. 'Fujian'
Trident Java Fern
Bolbitis heudelotii
Ludwigia repens
Anubias nana 'petite'
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Taiwan Moss
Eleocharis acicularis (dwarf hairgrass)
Cryptocoryne undulata
Cryptocoryne lutea
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis (Microsword)
Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan'
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Marsilea minuta
4 hours of planting later...

Once the tank was cycled and the plants settled in, Fish and shrimp were added.
I decided to keep relatively small fish to give the scape an overall impression of being larger than it really is. I also included the common cleaning crew most people use, Otos and Amano shrimp.

Tank 5-ish months old. picture taken 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by FreshPuff; 08-17-2018 at 12:49 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks fantastic. I'm fairly new to the hobby but I can tell you've put a large amount of thought into the setup! Definitely going to be following along.

Question about the neon blue raspbora:

I'm assuming these are sundadanio axelrodi? And it looks like you've got ember tetra in there as well. I've currently got embers and was thinking about adding in the neon blue raspbora next.

Mind if I ask what your experience is with them, and how well they get on with the Embers? Do they tend to mix together or do the embers and neon blues stay seperate? I've heard they can be pretty fragile, would you concur?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow great looking setup and awesome story behind everything. That sump area really has a clean layout to it. That 17gal at it's peak was a best of a tank also. Tuned in to see the progression

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGSnax View Post
Looks fantastic. I'm fairly new to the hobby but I can tell you've put a large amount of thought into the setup! Definitely going to be following along.

Question about the neon blue raspbora:

I'm assuming these are sundadanio axelrodi? And it looks like you've got ember tetra in there as well. I've currently got embers and was thinking about adding in the neon blue raspbora next.

Yup, sundadanio axelrodi.

Mind if I ask what your experience is with them, and how well they get on with the Embers? Do they tend to mix together or do the embers and neon blues stay separate? I've heard they can be pretty fragile, would you concur?
They can be a bit fragile in the beginning. I originally started with 20. But over a few days that number dwindled down to 14. Just make sure you really limit their exposure to open air, say when netting them from the bag and into the tank. These rasbora just don't handle it well. But once they acclimate to the aquarium you should be fine. Males will stake out a territory and sort of just hang there. They don't seem to school or shoal much in my tank. They are all spread out. If you're wanting a small schooling fish, look into green neon tetras.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhrtn View Post
Wow great looking setup and awesome story behind everything. That sump area really has a clean layout to it. That 17gal at it's peak was a best of a tank also. Tuned in to see the progression
Cable management has always been the bane of my existence lol. Ill eventually need to address that issue under the tank in order to make it look even cleaner. Thanks for following along.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I like it
FreshPuff and FreshPuff like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
They can be a bit fragile in the beginning. I originally started with 20. But over a few days that number dwindled down to 14. Just make sure you really limit their exposure to open air, say when netting them from the bag and into the tank. These rasbora just don't handle it well. But once they acclimate to the aquarium you should be fine. Males will stake out a territory and sort of just hang there. They don't seem to school or shoal much in my tank. They are all spread out. If you're wanting a small schooling fish, look into green neon tetras.
Thanks for that. definitely good advice. I'm considering mixing them up a bit with some microdevario kubotai as well so we'll have to see how that goes. Not really looking for them to school so much as share the space with the schooling embers.

Looking forward to seeing your tank come together!
FreshPuff and FreshPuff like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Things from afar looked pretty good, but....

Up close the the plants didn't look all that great.

Check out this Rotala Rotundifolia 'green'. Dark veins. Pale leaves. Slight twisting. Very sad!

From above the tank you can see how the Trident fern has very pale leaves. Up close you can see slight 'hooking' at the tips.

The Rotala 'butterfly' sporting stunted tips.

Marsilea minuta also not very happy. Leaf shape is large and wide. Also very yellow.

Also going through a BBA outbreak

Up to the time these pictures were taken, I was dosing the following per week:
KNO3: 50ppm
PO4: 5ppm
Micros: 16ml Tropica Premium Nutrition
Fe: .1ppm

My drop in pH was around 1.0 when the lights came on.

Last edited by FreshPuff; 06-21-2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added additional information
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update

Up until the time the (previous post) photos were taken my dosing was 15ml of Tropica Premium Nutrition for micros and Macros dosed at EI levels ([email protected] and [email protected]). For whatever reason I wasn't able to dose more than 2ml of Tropica a day without the shrimp acting irritated and sometimes dying. As you can see from the photos above, everything looked pretty bad. Lots of paleness, stunted tips, and poor growth rates. That dosing regimen just wasn't cutting it.

So between that time and now, which is about two weeks, I changed my fertilizer game! Reading some of the DIY custom micro mix threads I decided it was time to roll my own. Heres what I came up with. Its pretty similar to Burr740's mix if not almost the same.

Macros were dosed at water change only while Fe and micros were dosed each day.

Here are the results after two weeks.

Rotala Macranda 'green' is incredibly pale at the tips. Also has twisting of the leaves. The Myrio mini also showing stunted tips with slight melting at the top.

Rotala Indica 'green' showing similar symptoms as Rotala Macranda but without the pale color.

Aside from the plant issues, BBA has spread to other parts of the tank, and BGA has started spreading along the substrate in the front and back of the tank.

Whatever I'm doing is just not working out.

So today I decided to dedicate the better half of my evening to tank maintenance. I gave the sump and plumbing a good cleaning, got rid of all the dying and algae infested leaves, And thinned out some of the plants. I also did a massive 42 gallon water change to reset tank parameters.

While doing such a large water change, I realized my setup doesn't hold as much water as I thought. I always assumed it was around 55 gallons including the sump. I was off by almost 10 gallons. In reality it holds around 47 gallons, tops.
I've always been adjusting fertilizer calculations according to 55 gallons of tank water. I was dosing 7ppm of PO4 instead of 6ppm.

Im thinking maybe plants are showing deficiency because all that PO4 is binding to stuff in the tank, rendering nutrients unavailable to plants? Maybe I should cut down my PO4 dosing...

Time to make a new batch of ferts

... with the following amounts:
Macros are dosed all at once during water change. Micros and Fe are dosed everyday of the week.

Tank water degassed is at around 6.9ph. CO2 turns on two hours before the lights do. By the time the lights turn on, the pH has dropped down to around 5.8. So I'll assume that I don't have a CO2 problem.
GH is at 5 degrees. KH is whatever I get from the .6g of Seachem Alk Buffer I add to the 30 gallons of ro/di water I change out once a week.

I will keep with this fert regimen for the next two weeks and see if things start to improve.

Last edited by FreshPuff; 06-24-2018 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added more
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A positive note:

That massive water change I did triggered spawning behaviors in a few of the Gold Ring Danios. Heres a picture of a male stretching out his fins and flashing some color while courting a female.
madcrafted and madcrafted like this.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
That male Gold Ring Danio is outstanding. Never kept these. How big do they get? Well behaved in a community tank?

[
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Following!! Those fish are special. I think it is great how you are describing what you are seeing and then the adjustment. Not enough of that around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
That male Gold Ring Danio is outstanding. Never kept these. How big do they get? Well behaved in a community tank?
They make great community fish. Not nippy what so ever. Ands they don't have that frantic fast swimming behavior that other danios have. Size wise they stay much smaller too. The more common Leopard Spotted Danio you often see in LFS grow to around 2". The largest adult Gold Ring I have is around 3/4" in length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
Following!! Those fish are special. I think it is great how you are describing what you are seeing and then the adjustment. Not enough of that around.
Thanks you!
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well its been some time since I have updated the journal. I was locked out of my account and TPT.net had cloud migration issues that prevented me from posting updates. Glad thats fixed...

For some time now I've been wanting to automate fertilizer dosing. So This weekend I decided to act on that and purchase a dosing pump. I really wanted a wifi one such as the Kamoer F4. The thing is pretty sweet. It's compact, 4 peristaltic pumps, nice mobile app, and wifi accessible which is great. Unfortunately they are not available in the US yet, and the 300 dollar price tag that accompanies it is a deal breaker for me. Maybe in the future... lol

So after some digging around on the internet I found the Jecob DP-3 auto dosing pump. It's cheap at 60 bucks for 3 pumps. With amazon prime I was able to get it delivered to my doorstep next day which gave me the weekend to play around with it.

I stumbled on this youtube video showing where a "reefer" modified his dosing pump so that it could be used in an upright position. I thought it was a great idea to do because space under a stand is limited.
Since the pump was relatively cheap, I decided to modify the doser so that I could better utilize the space inside the stand. Here's what I did.

First I gutted the box. Taped and marked where I wanted to drill.

As you can see the job wasn't perfect but that's okay.

I wanted to be able to fasten the doser against one of the inside walls of the stand so I drilled two screws through the back. No shelf building here...

mbkemp and jfhrtn like this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update

A couple of changes to report today...

My tank now has 6 new inhabitants. These fish are called Mountain Crystal Tetras. Very silvery sheen to them that reflect all sorts of light. I had a hard time trying to capture this but check out the picture below how it caught the red led lights from my camera. These fish really shine.

Also found some plastic water bottles to serve as my dosing containers. they hold 900ml perfectly.

After several weeks of dosing lower PO4 levels my plants have slowly started to look better. Tips aren't really stunting as much anymore and overall growth has significantly increased. So we are on the right track here.

Obligatory FTS

Having nothing but Rotala stem plants in the back looked monotonous and boring. So I did some rearranging, subtracting, and adding. Removed all the stems that were stunted and had stagnating growing. My myrio mini melted so I removed all the goopy stems that were left over. In it's place I planted Ludwigia 'red'. This will give some nice color contrast in the background once everything grows in.

I also removed the crypts that were growing in the front two corners of the tank. The Marsilea minuta was growing too dense and suffocate itself so I thinned it out. I separated and replanted individual nodes so that it grows back evenly.

I added some mermaid weed in the right back corner of the tank. I think the leaf shape will contrast well with the surrounding Rotalas.

Heres where I need help. Maybe some of you can help me figure out what my next move should be...
Plants are growing better but they are still pale and looking stunted. The Rotala Macranda green is still showing poor growth. See below. Also note how the trident fern and other rotalas show white tips.

Any idea what sort of fert tweaking I should do?
jfhrtn likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode