105 Gallon Show Aquarium Project - rescape 2/12/11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
105 Gallon Show Aquarium Project - rescape 2/12/11

I've been lurking around here for 2+ years, so I figure that I would finally start a tank thread. I bought my Oceanic 105 Show aquarium of Craigslist about 2 years ago. I paid $600 for everything including 25 fish. There was a random mix of fish; everything from angle fish to two large oscars to a 8"+ pleco to fish that I haven't seen before. I didn't want anything except the 3 angles, so I traded the rest into the local aquarium store. I got over $200 in store credit. The stand and hood for the tank was original a 'washed oak' finish. I didn't like it, so I sanded it, primed it and painted it semi-gloss black with a Rustoleum brand enamel paint. It turned out great and has held up beautifully! As you can see from the pictures, I was in a rush and didn't paint the inside. I now regret this.

After I got it setup, I got very busy with work had did a lot of extended long term traveling. I would be gone for 3-4 weeks at a time. However, the tank kept right along and never missed a beat. The few fish I had were fed with an automatic feeder and I had zero plants to worry about. I am not home 99% of the time, so I am back to trying to make a successful planted tank. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, so I really enjoy the technology side of things. I enjoy the build as far as the electrical and plumbing goes as much as the end result. That will explain a lot of the 'high tech' approach I have taken.

I'll skip my previous setups and detail my current one starting with the plumbing. I made a manifold plumbing system underneath the tank. This allows me to isolate whatever I want as well as hook up a garden hose and run it out the front door for water changes. For filtration, I am running two Eheim Classic 2217's. Each 2217 is fed by a Hydor 300W ETH inline heater that I use to keep the tank at 80. I also have an Eheim 1103 needle wheel pump. I was using this for CO2 injection, but I got tired of the noise (more on this later). Now, the pump is adjusted all the way down (211 ghp) and provides a flow for my 25W Gamma UV sterilizer. I use to have ick problems in my last tank regularly, but in this tank with the addition on the UV sterilizer I have not had a single fish get sick!

As far as the lighting goes, I am running four 48" T5 HO bulbs in a Tek-Light fixture. This is hanging from the hood lid and spaced down ~2.5". This puts the light .5" off the top of my glass lids. I am currently running three Giesemann Midday bulbs (6K) and one Aquablue+ (15K) for some extra color. Once my plants get going, I plan to swap out the Aquablue+ for something in the 6500K range. I am using a 8 hr photo period with the 'midday burst' method. I only have both lights on for 6 hours in the middle of my photo period. I also added some moon lighting recently. I picked some moonlights up off eBay and mounted them directly to the Tek-Light fixture. Since I am a late night owl, this allows me to get some extra 'use' out of the aquarium.

For CO2 injection, I put together my own system. I started with a new 10lb aluminum CO2 bottle. Next, I added a brand new Concoa 212 series dual stage regulator from eBay. I am now using a Burkert 6011 solenoid that replaced my old Clippard. I am using the standard JBJ bubble counter. Before a couple weeks ago I was using the Eheim 1103 needle wheel to diffuse the CO2. It worked good, but it was loud when the bubbles hit the needle wheel. I picked up a couple of GLA's Atomic 12/16 inline diffusers and I two of these; one in the outlet of each 2217. I use the provided spray bars, but I oriented them in the vertical position to help saturate the tank with CO2. These things are AWESOME! The CO2 bubbles are extremely small! The Eheim 1103 needle wheel is now used for air injection for ~2.5 hours after the lights go out. I have it hooked up to a small Tetra air pump that is regulated by an inline valve. I only get about air 1 bubble every 2 seconds with this setup. It is just there because I thought it would be kind of cool and also provide the plant and fish with enough O2 through the night.

For fertilizers I am using the EI method. Currently, I have modified this and only dose during the beginning of the week due to my low plant load. I will adjust and increase as the plants grow. I dose 1.5 tsp KNO3 and .5 tsp KH2PO4 on Mondays and .5 tsp Plantex CSM+B on Tuesdays. I have almost finished my auto doser. It started life as a AquaMedic Quatro reef doser, but the controller was prohibitive for the way fresh water plants need to be fertilized. I removed the controller and added one power cord for each pump. I will be using 3 pumps for fertilizers and one for an auto top off system when I get more time.

To control the aquarium, I took a concepts that Wasserpest dubbed the Wasser-Controller. I used it for a little while, but it was prohibitive. I modified it and added a second timer controller and dubbed it the Wasser-Controller 2.0. I can now control up to 9 timers (limited only by my power supply) and up to four timers at once. Everything can be controlled down to the second. This is what I am using to automatically control my two sets of lights, moonlights, CO2 solenoid, Air pump, and four dosing pumps. It is acting like a complete aquarium controller.

Here are some pictures before I bore you to death with text:

Last edited by MoparMuscl; 02-13-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Not sure Ive ever seen that much equipment in a stand before except for maybe looking at a reef tank. Looks pretty awesome. Automation is king...
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Wasser-Controller 2.0

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dosing Pumps

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since I really want to have a heavily planted aquarium I had to make an easy water change setup. This is what I did.

I bought a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank from Tractor Supply for $59. This went in the attic near a support wall. I made a base out of plywood and 2x4's to help transfer the weight over a total of six 2x12's. For a lid, I purchase a sheet of acrylic and formed it into a lid with my cutting torch. I bought 100' for 3/4" PEX water line and plenty of fittings. I used my old Mag 9.5 pump for a pump to get the water through the PEX. I cut a hole in the wall behind my aquarium and ran the PEX down to it. From there it is plumbed into my manifold. I have always used RO water that I filter myself. I use a Watts Premier RO system. I mounted it in my water heater closet along with an auto shut off valve. This runs to the 100 gal tank where I mounted a float that should shut off around 55 gallons of filtered water.

Now here's the pics:

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great looking setup!

Have to say im pretty jealous of your automated fertilizer doser

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(tore down)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Wow your setup blows my little low tech mind out of the water.

Very elegant!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For live stock, I am currently bare bones. All my previous fish had tore everything up. My plants were eaten to shreds by my three semi-large clown loached, so back to the fish store they went. In the past week my three baja sharks discovered how good the nerite snails were. They ate about $25 worth of snails in three days, so back to the fish store they went. I currently have 4 ottos, one flying fox, one gold and one blue apple snail, and about 30 nerite snails.

I hope to pickup more ottos, maybe some shrimp, and some schooling fish. I'm undecided on what kind of fish to add.

I'll get more pics of the current state of the aquarium when the lights kick on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
Not sure Ive ever seen that much equipment in a stand before except for maybe looking at a reef tank. Looks pretty awesome. Automation is king...
I have too many long-term projects. My goal for this aquarium is to make it more like a piece of furniture. It is there for looks. I ONLY want to do the weekly water change and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Great looking setup!

Have to say im pretty jealous of your automated fertilizer doser
Thanks! It was easy and fairly cheap. I picked the AquaMedic up for 1/4 of the price it runs new, and it was new! eBay FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Wow your setup blows my little low tech mind out of the water.

Very elegant!
Thank you!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Good god, I don't know whether the amount of equipment or how neatly arranged it is is more amazing!
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceGrover View Post
Good god, I don't know whether the amount of equipment or how neatly arranged it is is more amazing!
Haha! The work of a semi-OCD engineer!
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
l was assuming you were an engineer as well . l am pretty impressed on how the water change system works tho, pretty smart. l go into attics a lot since that's pretty much what part of my job consists of but l've never thought of something like this. kudos.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Algae Grower

wow!
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Member

Sure looks amazing & very well put together - although you have got a lot of light there!
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
l was assuming you were an engineer as well . l am pretty impressed on how the water change system works tho, pretty smart. l go into attics a lot since that's pretty much what part of my job consists of but l've never thought of something like this. kudos.
When you live in the south and don't have basements, the only place to go with stuff like this is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfish View Post
Sure looks amazing & very well put together - although you have got a lot of light there!
The tank is 28" tall, so the light has a way to travel to reach the substrate. I haven't had a major algae outbreak in this tank ever (knock on wood). I have had some minor brown algae, but it is under control. I reduced my 'burst' photo period from 8 hrs to only 6 hours.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMuscl View Post
Haha! The work of a semi-OCD engineer!

This, LOL! There should be a warning about overwhelming feelings of inadequacy when faced with the feats of engineers . . .

Are you over on SFBAAPS? I know I saw some of this before and Im thinking it must have been there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode