Aubie's 54 gallon corner journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aubie's 54 gallon corner journal

Finally ready to start putting this tank together after a few months of planing and slowing accumulating equipment and experience (to the benefit and sometimes detriment of my existing tanks). Still have some equipment yet to purchase and assemble.

Tank: Aqueon 54 gallon corner with pine stand
Filter: 2 Eheim Pro4e 350
Lights: 2 Ai HD Prime Freshwater
CO2 injection (haven't bought the regulator yet, but will probably get a 2 stage off fleabay and the post-reg kit from DIYCO2)
Not sure if I'll go the diffuser or reactor route for CO2
Heater: probably an inline Hydor hooked up to an inkbird controller
Ferts: PPS-Pro, probably starting with the high light dosing regimen and backing off if needed, Seachem root tabs for root feeding
Hardscape: ohko stone and driftwood
Substrate: not quite sure, something dark. Maybe Flourite Black Sand.
Water: am currently using a RO/DI unit I purchased off amazon, but will probably upgrade to one from bulk reef supply.

Flora: multiple species/strains of buce and anubias, fissidens and riccia, bolbitis, crypt lucens, balansae, nd wendtii, cyperus helferi, e. xinguensis, blyxa japonica, eleocharis parvula (or belem), m. crenata (or minuta), and possibly some s. subulata

Fauna: cpds, spotted blue eyed rainbows, peacock gudgeons, dainty corys, dwarf gourami, amanos, snails. May eventually add a couple of bamboo shrimp.

Both the flora and fauna stockings are fluid and might change.

Current planned aquascape (any comments, suggestions, or critiques appreciated):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquascape4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	860953  

Name:	aquascape3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	860961  

Name:	aquascape2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	860969  

Name:	aquascape1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	860977  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love corner tanks. If I had a free corner in my house, I'd totally have one. (My house layout, outside of bedrooms, sucks for using corners for anything.)

I'll be watching this thread.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

current plan for flora layout

I'll put a ton of buce, anubias, and fissidens/riccia on the ohko stone and driftwood.

blue = bolbitis
orange = crypt wendtii
purple = crypt lucens
yellow = crypt balansae (or possibly spiralis or retrospiralis)
dark green = cyperus helferi
light orange = e. xinguensis
aqua = m. crenata (or minuta)
pink = s. subulata
light green = e. parvula (or belem)
red = blyxa japonica
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled presentation.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	861001  

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Digging the corner tank and the thought you are putting into it. Curious to see how it progresses! A few thoughts:

If you want black sand substrate a lot of members use Black Diamond Blasting Sand for ~$8 for 50lbs. Great value and proven to work well. Take a look at different threads on this forum to learn some more!

Will you be painting/ putting a background on this tank? I see it will have a ton of light from the windows if the two flat backs are left transparent. Could be an algae nightmare if not careful!

Great start!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Digging the corner tank and the thought you are putting into it. Curious to see how it progresses! A few thoughts:

If you want black sand substrate a lot of members use Black Diamond Blasting Sand for ~$8 for 50lbs. Great value and proven to work well. Take a look at different threads on this forum to learn some more!

Will you be painting/ putting a background on this tank? I see it will have a ton of light from the windows if the two flat backs are left transparent. Could be an algae nightmare if not careful!

Great start!!
I have thought about BDBS and definitely cheaper than flourite.

Haven't decided if I'll put a back ground on. If I do, it'll be black, but the tank is not in it's final resting place. I'm just storing for the time being in my home office which does get a lot of sun. It'll eventually go in my living room which doesn't get much sun at all.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I FINALLY got around to putting this tank together after a lot of unforeseen delays. By far the biggest tank I've ever had and I have to say I'm a bit worried about the stock Aqueon stand I got with it. I've read countless posts on many websites that say these stands are sturdy and can hold the weight, but something just seems flimsy about them.

Well, I filled the tank this afternoon in the spot it will be in to get a finally sense of whether it's level (and it's not by about 3-4 mm left to right,seems pretty level front to back), and the front door is pretty hard to open now. It's really snug between the floor and tank braces. I guess that makes sense as there are now ~450 lbs pushing down on it.

But that's making my spidersense tingle a bit. What say y'all, normal or something to be concerned about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fulltank.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	867787  

Last edited by aubie98; 08-24-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: picture added
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:18 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I have the same tank and stand and it has been running for the last 9 months with no issues. It feels. sturdy enough.
aubie98 likes this.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I have the same tank and stand and it has been running for the last 9 months with no issues. It feels. sturdy enough.
Did you notice any difference in the door between a full and empty tank? How snug is the door with a full tank?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:06 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

The door rubs slightly against the buttom.

It took me a while to decide to buy the set-up because I was turned off by the quality of the stand. After we got it home, I took the extra time to look the stand over every which way. The quality of workmanship and materials suck, but the stand is structurally sound nevertheless. I am not loosing any sleep worrying about either the stand or the tank.

Obviously, I decided to keep and to use it. I decided to overlook the stand's finish given what you get for the price. If need be, it can always be sanded, spackled, and repainted.
aubie98 likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
The door rubs slightly against the buttom.

It took me a while to decide to buy the set-up because I was turned off by the quality of the stand. After we got it home, I took the extra time to look the stand over every which way. The quality of workmanship and materials suck, but the stand is structurally sound nevertheless. I am not loosing any sleep worrying about either the stand or the tank.

Obviously, I decided to keep and to use it. I decided to overlook the stand's finish given what you get for the price. If need be, it can always be sanded, spackled, and repainted.
Totally understand, the stand just seems like it wouldn't hold 500 lbs, but it apparently does (knocks vigorously on wood). I did brace the wall edges with some 2x4s just for peace of mind. I've got a good sense now of how to level the stand better when I drain the water, so that should help my worried mind further.

I think I found the individual slats of the door that run on the top brace, so I can sand them and the door should be aOK.

I'll be draining the tank this afternoon, re-shiming/leveling, and then trying out some hardscape configurations.

'bout time I got this thing up and running!
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:37 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

@aubie98 Enjoy the process!

I also have 34g corner, my oldest tank by far. Both tanks share the same 2 "challanges": lighting and circulation. Soo, I am rather curios on how you will approach them. Keep the journal up!
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, spent sometime last night and this morning finally putting the hardscape together.

Substrate is Tahitian Moon, with Ohko stone and wood (not sure what kind, the two big pieces are new, the two smaller piece in the center are from my 10 gallon that I'll be breaking down as I move stuff into this tank).

Any feedback is appreciated (tried to follow the run of 3rds, but not sure I really did so); tried to create some different lines of sight with the wood and some overhangs/tunnels with the Ohko stone.

Bump: Here are some pics of my storage room with the brand new BRS 150 gallon/day RO/DI filter. Probably overkill but Nashville water is pretty hard and kinda fluctuates in hardness given we pull water from the Cumberland River. I'd prefer being able to provide a fairly stable source of change water.

Bump:

Here are some pics of my storage room with my new 150 gallon/day BRS RO/DI filter. Probably overkill, but Nashville has pretty hard water and the exactly hardness and parameters tends to fluctuate (it seems to me) due to us pulling water from the Cumberland. I'd like to be able to provide as consistent water as possible for my tanks. DI fiters are anion resin -> cation resin -> mixed resin.

Pretty nice system with pressure gauge, bypass valve for the RO filters, and a triple TDS meter to monitor water coming out of the RO filters, right before the mixed resin DI filter, and after the final DI filter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aquascape5.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	867839  

Name:	aquascape4 (1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	867841  

Name:	aquascape3 (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	867843  

Name:	aquascape2 (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	867845  

Name:	aquascape1 (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	867847  

Name:	rodi1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	867849  

Name:	rodi2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	867851  

Name:	fishroom.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	867853  

Last edited by aubie98; 08-26-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: more pics
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Planted Member

I'm guessing most people here will say the wood in the center is too centered. I'd move it to the left and try to make a couple islands or peaks of hardscape with one on the left and the other on the right, one noticably taller and one more forward.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I'm guessing most people here will say the wood in the center is too centered. I'd move it to the left and try to make a couple islands or peaks of hardscape with one on the left and the other on the right, one noticably taller and one more forward.
That's what I'm struggling with, it's really difficult to figure out the hardscape with the corner tank. I tried off-centering things first and it just looked wrong given the shape of the tank.

I'm basing my hardscape off a tank I saw in my LFS that looked really good with the plants in the tank. Kinda hard to really get a good sense of the tank with the glare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lfs_scape.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	867855  

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
That's what I'm struggling with, it's really difficult to figure out the hardscape with the corner tank. I tried off-centering things first and it just looked wrong given the shape of the tank.

I'm basing my hardscape off a tank I saw in my LFS that looked really good with the plants in the tank. Kinda hard to really get a good sense of the tank with the glare.
I agree it's a real challenge even knowing what center really is given your tank shape. To temper my earlier comment, I do like the way it looks, but I was sort of channeling the average advice around here. Any way to leave the centerpiece where it is, but tilt it to the left? Securely, of course...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode