Jump off the Deep End - The Planted Tank Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Jump off the Deep End

Okay, thats it! I've had enough! I'm jumping in again! I miss my tanks! I have moved to East Tennessee since my last tank, and everything had to be torn down (and apparently lost somewhere between here and Illinois). But I do still have a 38 gallon tank and stand. I've got the Finnex Planted+ light, but no remote. My ferts and dosing pump are floating around somewhere. Oh, thankfully my co2 tank and regulator made the trip, so I don't have to figure all of that out again. My bonsai somehow made the trip too.

But anyways... I'm debating between dragging out the 38, or just throwing in the towel and getting the 75 that Petsmart has on sale right now. I actually think I'll like the depth of the 75 more (I'll be in BIG trouble when I bring it home).

This is the scape I have fallen in love with, so I'm going to try to do something similar

I'm going with blasting sand again for substrate, since I can never make up my mind.
I haven't completely decided on the lighting yet. I am looking at the new Planted+ CC or the Fluval 3.0.
Filtration wise, I'm probably going with a Sun Sun 304b.

As far as fauna, I'm most likely just going to go with a school of neons and some RCS.

Any input is welcome at all times!
Greggz, Greggz, chayos00 and 1 others like this.

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well... in my opinion a 75 gallon is better in every way including larger volume of Water adding stability. You will need C02 injection and fertilizers to get anywhere near that kind of lush growth much less those colors. Sorry.. just want you to be realistic. Lastly Neons are... well... I probably purchased 600-700 to reach my goals of a school of about 300... then I got a bad batch and I've been losing them with regularity for weeks now despite medications. I'm probably down to less than 100. In my experience Neons have been over bred and are of very poor health... much like the Rams you see at Local Fish stores. If I had it to do over again I would buy wild green neons . . Much healthier than Neons or Cardinals. My suggestion would be glowlights or maybe even Rummynose. Glowlights have been bullet proof for me. I have yet to lose a single one despite hundreds of Neon deaths. There are lots of cool tetras and pencilfish. I would suggest ANYTHING over Neons or Cardinals. I
Good luck and be patient.
chayos00 and chayos00 like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
From a native East Tennessean, welcome!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Well... in my opinion a 75 gallon is better in every way including larger volume of Water adding stability. You will need C02 injection and fertilizers to get anywhere near that kind of lush growth much less those colors. Sorry.. just want you to be realistic.
I will definately be using CO2 injection. I've got most of what I need for it. Just got to build a new reactor.

Quote:
Lastly Neons are... well... I probably purchased 600-700 to reach my goals of a school of about 300... then I got a bad batch and I've been losing them with regularity for weeks now despite medications. I'm probably down to less than 100. In my experience Neons have been over bred and are of very poor health... much like the Rams you see at Local Fish stores. If I had it to do over again I would buy wild green neons . . Much healthier than Neons or Cardinals. My suggestion would be glowlights or maybe even Rummynose. Glowlights have been bullet proof for me. I have yet to lose a single one despite hundreds of Neon deaths. There are lots of cool tetras and pencilfish. I would suggest ANYTHING over Neons or Cardinals.
I'll have to see if I can find the wild greens. I don't think I've ever seen them before, or if I have, I didnt know what I was looking at. Thank you for the suggestions!!!!
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Greggz, Bartohog, and Burr740 probably have most if not all of the species you want. They're very likely healthier and much less expensive than retailers as well. Sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on things. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Wetspot and one other vendor on Aquabid have Green Neons for a reasonable price... well... it's reasonable considering you would likely have to purchase and medicate 4 times as many Neons as you want to end up with. My green Neons are healthy as can be despite the regular Neons dropping dead left and right in the same tank.
Kubla likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Greggz, Bartohog, and Burr740 probably have most if not all of the species you want. They're very likely healthier and much less expensive than retailers as well.
Ok, I'm getting the tank tomorrow... If I survive, I'll look at what they have.

Laura

Last edited by Laura; 06-06-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: I'm dumb...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I finally took the plunge and got the 75 gallon yesterday. I got BDBS for substrate today. I'm hoping 100 lbs will be enough. I think I'm going to get some Osmocote Plus to sprinkle under the sand before I lay it all out.
chayos00, ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

Laura

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Coincidence! I moved cross country from Michigan to Texas and only brought my 6 & 12 gal Edge tanks, some assorted "fish stuff" and a Betta in a bucket.

Then I couldn't stand it and took the looong trip to Petsmart and picked up that 75 gallon kit too. Mine will be bare bottom since I suddenly feel like raising fancy goldfish, but I look forward to seeing you plant yours.

Last edited by Fisherking; 06-22-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Grammar!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was originally gonna go Dutch, but now I'm thinking Amazon biotope... With lots of Angels, neons and Cory's. I've never had a tank really big enough to do a biotope with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
mbkemp, mbkemp, ChrisX and 5 others like this.

Laura

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I was originally gonna go Dutch, but now I'm thinking Amazon biotope... With lots of Angels, neons and Cory's. I've never had a tank really big enough to do a biotope with.

Dutch is challenging. If the plants aren't thriving, and if you aren't trimming and maintaining, the tank can go all to hell.

With good hardscape, at least the tank has a good outline of how it will look, even if the plants aren't doing great.

I would love to do an Amazon biotope in my 75g. I have some Amazon Swords that are almost foolproof. Some swords, anubias, driftwood, leaf litter make a great display and don't require as much lighting. However, the hardscape may cost more up front.

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm going to try to find a local fish auction. I have gotten some killer deals from those in the past for driftwood and beautiful fish

Laura

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Following! Iím excited to see this come together for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

The biotope idea sounds great! Excited to see what you come up with!

|

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, what are your thoughts on filtration for angels in a 75 gallon? I was thinking about a SunSun 304b, but should I put a sponge filter on the intake to slow it down a bit? Or should I down grade the filter? I'm thinking some Pariba Pinoy and maybe some Blue Glitter angels are going to be my main attractions in the tank. I'm wanting some real wow factor fish in there, but I know that angels are funny about flow...

Laura

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

I have been using the Sunsun 304b on a 45gal bowfront freshwater planted aquarium and I am very happy with it. As for slowing down the filter, I don't think that you will really need to do so, however if you want to, you can load it up with denser foam/sponge filters as you suggested or simply angle the output differently to avoid a current situation for your Angels. I have a APEX flow meter attached to mine and with very few bends and turns in the tubing I'm only getting on the average about 260gph which is no where near the 526gph that Sunsun claims it to have. FYI the manufacturers flowrate underestimation is not for real world use but just as a metric and is not restricted to Sunsun filters. I have used many filters from other manufacturers with similar flowrate results. I would go with it and make your changes if you needed to, in my opinion a wee bit extra filtration is better than a wee bit too little.
Happy Fish Keeping!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode