Inspiration. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inspiration.

I have been lurking, recently posting, learning and finding the work of other members on this sight to be very inspirational. Caveat: I am solely responsible for any and all mistakes I've made.

This 21 gallon tank began with the my desire for a peaceful community tank. I determined that I would have a variety of small tetras and started with Pristellas and added neons. Once the tank was 'established' I added Rummies which I like alot. Each of these fish, as you well know, have different characteristics. What I especially appreciate are the differing body shapes. I wanted a long fish [Rummies] 'flat' fish [Pristellas] and something in between.

What has not worked for me are Otos. I like them but they don't do so well. Perhaps its the lack of algae, yes I have algae but it has to compete with the plants and at this point the plants have the edge. Or is it the flourish excel.

I've have greater like with my Cory's and I have a healthy school of 7 Pygmeaus. I wanted something for the bottom, the Pygmeaus penchant for mid tank is not a problem for me even if that areas can, at times seem a little crowded.

Crowded? Well I could not resist 10 green neon tetras that came into my LFS. The tank is 'understocked' in part because it is 'overplanted.'

My jungle of vals are present for a few reasons. The plant gets to the top of the water column and to the light of my approx 2 watt per gallon lighting well. The vals offer surface cover which softens the light in the water column. I like that effect and while I could darked the tank with a darker substrate I wanted a light coloured one for this tank. A the time my 5 gallon betta tank had dark substrate with darkly pigmented anubias and I wanted a different esthetic for this one. I also wanted to 'recreate' what I envisioned as the languid grassy edge of a amazon stream. A counter point to the sometimes busyness of my home and our frigid winters.

Giant hair grass was added as well and it has done well with little intervention on my part. I had micro sword which did well but did not achieve the desired effect. It came out after getting thin and weedy in competition with baby tears that I had in the foreground at one point. The baby's tears got bushy, I don't know how else to describe it, without trimming. I was not trimming the tank this summer, I was outside during our brief and glorious respite from winter.

I have thought about adding colour and texture other than the grasses. I've had ludwigia do well in a low tech set-up and have also thought about, brace yourselves for a remarkable deviation, Saggitaria subulata.

I enjoy puzzling over the many ways wood and rock can be placed and love watching the puzzles members solve here.

At any rate my tank had become overgrown and dark. The wood which created a cave used by the timid Pristellas when the tank had little plant growth was now ignored and had become formless by the Jave Moss which had been added to strip algae feeding nutrients from the water.

I may still add plants but for now I have reconfigured my wood to open up more space and the feeling of more space while maintaining plenty of hiding spaces for the fish. One the right side of the tank I have 'broken' the foreground rule and allowed the vals to grow against the the glass. I like the veiling effect and coupled with the wood behind the val, val before next piece of wood I am giving greater visual depth.

Forgive me, I have time to go on and on it's -41 outside and I'm not going anywhere soon.

It's not clear to me how to caption my photos. But I hope that my written description will make the before and after clear.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04498.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	27121  

Name:	tank 3 009 - ba.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	27122  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
i like your design, i would throw in some foreground plants if possible
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Looks nice!

I think you need a bit more of a foreground and midground, though- something to add a bit more contrast and texture. Ludwigia would look nice, I think. Crypts (especially some of the red or bronze ones) and Anubias nana 'petite' would also be some good options.

IMO the Vals in front of the driftwood really block the rest of the tank. What about putting the Dwaf Sag there instead? It would still give a similar "feel" but not block off the tank from view.

I'd probably either leave the front of the tank open like you have it now, or perhaps something like Marselia minuta, that would stay nice and short and won't detract from the tall grassy effect you have going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think your tank looks nice as well. If you ever feel like trading some Val for some other plants like Red tiger lotus, Amazon swords(plenty of this), Anubias Frazeri, or Java fern let me know, I live in Peg city as well.
Where you get the green Neons from? Did Spencer have them in?

"an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks zyn1.

Thanks lauraleellbp I like the dwarf sag idea. It would open things up nicely.

Cuchulainn. Fellow Pegger! Nice. Yes, I got the green tetras from Spenser some time, I recall, in November. Trades for Vals are welcome I would be just as happy to give them away to a good home rather than compost them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Looks nice!

I think you need a bit more of a foreground and midground, though- something to add a bit more contrast and texture. Ludwigia would look nice, I think. Crypts (especially some of the red or bronze ones) and Anubias nana 'petite' would also be some good options.

IMO the Vals in front of the driftwood really block the rest of the tank. What about putting the Dwaf Sag there instead? It would still give a similar "feel" but not block off the tank from view.

I'd probably either leave the front of the tank open like you have it now, or perhaps something like Marselia minuta, that would stay nice and short and won't detract from the tall grassy effect you have going.
+1, the vals in front of the DW block much of the tank. The one in the middle as well, directly in front of the DW in the middle. Use some foreground like Glossostigma and it would offer a better feel to the tank over all IMHO

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update

I've made some changes over the last two weeks which I wanted to share. I am fortunate to have a few excellent lfs's in Winnipeg. I have thinned out the Vals and left a 'wall' of Val and Giant Hair Grass.

In the foreground I have added three Narrow leaf chain sword [Echinodorus Tenellus] and two Echinodorus Vesuvius. I've also placed a Rubin Sword centre left in a mid tank position. The plan/hope is that conditions will favour the Echnodorus and both the Tenellus and Vesuvius will spread [advice?]

I have also changed my front light [annual change] from a Hagen Aqua Glo T8 15w to a Hagen Life Glo T8 15w. I appreciated the blue cast of the Aqua Glow and the brilliance it gave the neons but I am preferring the more natural spectrum of the Life Glo. The 'yellow' of that more natural spectrum really brings out the reds of the Pristella's tail fins and the Rummies noses.

I have also added, after much deliberation shared below in part, two Assassin snails to bring the Ramshorns into greater balance. They breed unchecked and limiting food seems too fine a calculation seeing how many fish mouths there are to feed. And, I would keep anything in the tank in check. I, for instance have given away or transplanted at least two dozen Vals, and if I had a fish as prolific as the snails I would either have to transplant, give away, or keep in check by some means.

All the best and thanks for looking in and leaving comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04508.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	27613  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode