New Planted Mix - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Planted Mix

Today after I finished work I went to a local freshwater creek to find three small rocks to put in a tank, with water flowing strong, Baby blue eyes and shrimp were all around the edges.

I decided to collect a few due to the fact that the waterway was not protected by law, and when I got home I decided to re scape an old 2 ft tank with 4 new season Algae Shrimp, they are Goldold Caridina Sp. I also collected some pacific blue eyes for the tank and accidently got a baby Jungle Perch. I later remember them grazing in a school over an algae covered rock in the creek. They looked like Apistogramma but without the colours. I luckily only got one, which is the restricted allowance for collection with these species.

By accident I caught this fish when I Pretty much blindly scooped up about 6x 3-4cm fish. This was the most I have ever caught from the wild and in the risk of accepting the possibility of diseases, I did do a very weak Malachite green diluted bath before getting every creature into the new habitat.

I began this little tank a while back which has been faithful as a grow out tank. I just rescaped the tank 5 hours ago. Just now (as I post these pics) It has become home to 4 Algae shrimp babies, a school of 14 Pacific Blue Eyes (2.8-4cm) and one Jungle Perch baby 3cm. I wanted a small tank that had a few plants with the space to add specific species of flora later on. The Jungle perch was a complete suprise to me, until I got the fish into the tank, and I am seroiusly considering a seperate tank when it gets bigger

The rocks I found have mosses growing on them, one is pelia moss and the other is a java moss. The tank was Re-started with a substrate of JBL Florapol, Peatmoss, Mineralized soil, Fine River sand and a patch toward the front with course river sand and gravel finely spread over the sand.
I added established driftwood, an established sponge filter and used Prime to condition the water.
Tomorrow I will post more pics, so to see the jungle perch, as he has not settled in so well, please be patient.
Regards
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jo1 012.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	27104  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What state do you live in that you have access to all these things? I wish I knew what I could legally collect here.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottagewitch View Post
What state do you live in that you have access to all these things? I wish I knew what I could legally collect here.
joshyboi2
Algae Grower

(View User Tanks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Cottagewitch, I live in North Queensland, Port Douglas to be accurate. We are surrounded by a diverse range of life here and I am very lucky to have the privilege of finding and studying the creeks around the area.

I am very strict with what I take and when as to not impact the environment.

Here is a shot I got of the jungle perch baby, he is so cute !

Last edited by joshyboi2; 05-22-2012 at 08:21 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode