Jfhrtn's 29 Gallon Tank Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Jfhrtn's 29 Gallon Tank Journal

Hello all thought I would start a journal on my 29 gallon tank. It won't only help me keep all my information​ in one place but maybe it can help a fellow member that has some questions. I knew I wanted to do a fishless cycle so I ordered Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride and used Seachem's Stability Along with API Quickstart. I decided I wanted a sand substrate so I went with pool filter sand to try to mimick the natural look of a ecosystem. I collected rocks from below the dam here in the local river and tested them with muriatic acid to see if there was a reaction. I then washed them and soaked all the rock for 48hrs with 4 water changes. I cleaned the pool filter sand for about an hour in a bucket with the garden hose pushing clean water through it to remove any debris. Rinsed the tank out really well and let it air dry. Once I had everything prepped I was well on my way to a new adventure with this tank. I will post up pics, water test results, plant progress, and probably a few questions here and there. As far as plants I'm also still learning more each and every day. So try to bare with me during my learning curve and hopefully all will turn out as planned. I will post up a list below of all the equipment and progress so far. The tank was started back on 5/18/17 and the first plant in the tank went in back on 5/27/17. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading,
-James

----> Equipment:

Aquaclear 70

Hydor Koralia 425gph Circulation Pump

Hydor 150w Heater

Zacro Digital Thermometer

Aquaclear Versatop

30" Beamswork DA Pent 6500k .50w Light

----> Stand:

Hand built for the tank and height/width/depth needed

----> Ferts & Chems:

Nilocg's Thrive

DIY Osmocote Root Tabs

Seachem Prime/Safe

----> What was used during cycling:

Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride

Seachem Stability

API Quickstart

----> Testing:

API Freshwater Mater Test Kit

----> Plants (So Far):

Anubias Nana

Anubias Nana Petite

Anubias Frazeri

Cryptocoryne Undulata

Cryptocoryne Wendtii Bronze

Vallisneria Americana "Tiger Stripe" - (Thanks @Doogy262)

Vallisneria spiralis "Corkscrew" - (Thanks @Doogy262)

Micro Swords

Pogostemon Erectus - (Thanks @sdwindansea)

Limnophila aromatic - (thanks @sdwindansea)

Bacopa Caroliniana - (thanks @sdwindansea)

Assorted Bucephalandra - (Thanks @fishenthusiast)

Dwarf Sag - (Thanks @fishenthusiast)

Ludwigia "Cuba" - (Thanks @khanzer22)

Rotala Butterfly - (Thanks @khanzer22)

S. Repens - (Thanks @khanzer22)

----> Substrate:

Pool Filter Sand

----> Media (inside filter):

AC 70 Sponge

Aquaclear Biomedia

Fluval Biomax

----> Livestock:

1 Dwarf Gourami

5 Serpea Tetra's

2 Neon Tetra's

2 Nerite Snails

1 Otocinclus

3 Harlequin Rasbora's

----> Food:

New Life Spectrum Thera +A
Fluval Bug Bites
Hikari Daphnia
Hikari Blood Worms
Hikari Mini Algea Wafers

----> In my 10g grow out tank I currently have the following plants:

Micro Swords

Cryptocoryne Wendtii Bronze

Java Fern Windelov

S. Repens

Purple Mudwart

Rosette Sword

Hydrocotyle Leucocephala "pennywort" - (Thanks @sdwindansea)

Lindernia rotundifolia ‘variegated’ - (Thanks @khanzer22)

----> Water Change Schedule

50% every Sunday

10-15% on Wed/Thursday (mainly just vacuuming detritus)

----> Fert Schedule (open to advice on adjustment)

5ml Micro on Mon, Wed, Fri
5ml Macro on Tues, Thurs, Sat

***I will post up pics from the very beginning compared to what the tank is now (finally got a decent camera and man can I tell a difference from a year ago)***

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
khanzer22 likes this.

Last edited by jfhrtn; 06-23-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

----> Latest 2 Water Tests (5/23 & 5/30)

5/23/18

pH: 7.2

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm (no visible color change)

Nitrate: 10ppm

Temp: 79.6

5/30/18

pH: 7.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5-10ppm

Temp: 79.8

Also found one other pic of the tank when I very first added any scape

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As far as dosing ferts does anyone have any recommendations on if I should adjust my schedule and to what you think I should adjust it to? Every time I test for nitrates they are always ~5ppm and very rarely get near 10ppm. I am also down to about a 1/3 of a bottle of Thrive and was wondering if it would be best to stick with Thrive or go with something like NilocG's Micro & Macro bottles along with some iron? Not opposed to the DIY EI liquid ferts. They seem a lot cheaper and just as good as Thrive. Still really hesitant on PPS Pro since I am only running moderate light with no CO2. I am really open to suggestions on ferts though. I am really getting into plants and want to optimize the ferts for the best results I can get with the equipment that I have. Would really like to try to get some plants that I can try to get to reproduce not only for my other tanks but hopefully so I can pass them along to other hobbyists to repay the favor that others have done for me.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tested my nitrates this evening before my Sunday dose of ferts and they were sitting less than 5ppm but not quite 0ppm. I upped my usual Sunday dose from 1ml to 2ml of Thrive. Going to be ordering some ferts hopefully this coming week and still doing my reading up on what may be best for the tank. I am kind of worried about daily dosing especially for when I go out of town. I will get something figured out though.

On another note I had a minor heater emergency night before last when the heater went bad and the temp in the tank went up to 82.3°f. I got a Aqueon 100w to replace the 150w Hydor that went bad and the Aqueon about 10-12min after install started a whistling sound along with a popping. Move the suction cups to the top of the heater and the popping stopped. The whistling continued though so I took a old 50w heater that was in my 10g grow out tank at one point and used it until I could go and exchange the Aqueon heater today. I exchanged it and got an "upgraded" version of the Aqueon glass heater. It does look different with tinted glass about 2/3 the way down the heater and a red light versus the orange light on the old ones. Anyway I had no casualties during the heater fiasco just a few crypt leaves that have melted. Removed them and will leave the crypts alone now that the temp is back stable and let them recover.

Just thought I'd give a quick update,
-James

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhrtn View Post
As far as dosing ferts does anyone have any recommendations on if I should adjust my schedule and to what you think I should adjust it to? Every time I test for nitrates they are always ~5ppm and very rarely get near 10ppm. I am also down to about a 1/3 of a bottle of Thrive and was wondering if it would be best to stick with Thrive or go with something like NilocG's Micro & Macro bottles along with some iron? Not opposed to the DIY EI liquid ferts. They seem a lot cheaper and just as good as Thrive. Still really hesitant on PPS Pro since I am only running moderate light with no CO2. I am really open to suggestions on ferts though. I am really getting into plants and want to optimize the ferts for the best results I can get with the equipment that I have. Would really like to try to get some plants that I can try to get to reproduce not only for my other tanks but hopefully so I can pass them along to other hobbyists to repay the favor that others have done for me.

I still have a lot to learn so I can't really recommend much, but I've been having good success with the dry ferts so far. I like it because I can adjust individual levels if I need to.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did you go with nilocg's dry mix or something GLA? With the dry ferts are you dosing daily?

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ended up doing a water change and some maintenance last night. Had to get some crypt Undulata that melted from the temp fluctuations when the heater went out and clean up some ditritus on the sand. Man how the sand has changed in the past year though. Sure looks like it has grown some beneficial bacteria in the top 1/2". Dosed thrive again after the water change and the temp is finally steady at 78.7. Have started seeing some new growth on the corkscrew vals also.

-James

sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Algae Grower

Posting similar to NuclearMuse (funny that we also both have buns!), I'm not all that experienced myself but I started using the GLA E.I. dosing last week. My plants already seem to be perking up. Careful though, the KNO3 recommendation for 20-30 gallons is 1/4 tsp and when I was dosing that my nitrates started testing at 80ppm. I only dose 1/8 tsp of the KNO3 now, just dosed yesterday so will be testing water today, hopefully we are no longer so high in nitrates.

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I've had a few new additions to the tank plant wise thanks to @sdwindansea. I will post the additions below. Haven't had any melting issues and they arrived in great shape. They were all trimmings and waiting for them to establish roots and hopefully take off. I put the pennywort in my 10g growing tank for the time being. I am also expecting a shipment of liquid EI ferts from NilocG on Monday along with a package of flourish Excel tomorrow to mix in with the liquid ferts. Hoping for the best with the new ferts. Wondering if I would benefit more from a better light such as the fluval 3.0 or a CO2 system. Any thoughts on this?

Additions:

Pogostemon Erectus

Limnophila aromatic

Bacopa Caroliniana

Hydrocotyle Leucocephala (pennywort)

sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank y'all for the tips and I will be sure to keep an eye on the nitrogen dosing. Every 3 days I am currently having between 10-15ppm reduced to barely even a trace from the plants. At least with the API liquid test.

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Found some photos of the plants that I most recently added. One of when they first came in and one after I had prepped to plant them

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Did you go with nilocg's dry mix or something GLA? With the dry ferts are you dosing daily?

I ordered from NilocG. I didnt do the premixed though, I ordered separate ferts. They came in bags that were much nicer than I was expecting, haha.

Editing to say the Pennywort should take off really fast, I ordered some online and it was the WORST piece of Pennywort I've ever seen, lol.... I had two leaves that I salvaged. But now that it's acclimated it has exploted and I even gave a section to my friend who just started her first planted tank (a ten gallon) yesterday!
jfhrtn and jfhrtn like this.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMuse View Post

I ordered from NilocG. I didnt do the premixed though, I ordered separate ferts. They came in bags that were much nicer than I was expecting, haha.

Editing to say the Pennywort should take off really fast, I ordered some online and it was the WORST piece of Pennywort I've ever seen, lol.... I had two leaves that I salvaged. But now that it's acclimated it has exploted and I even gave a section to my friend who just started her first planted tank (a ten gallon) yesterday!
I don't think my knowledge had evolved enough yet to venture into separate ferts but I'm still doing my reading though. I think by the time I finish all these ferts (all 3000ml) haha I will be venturing into what you did.

I have already seen some new leaves emerge on the pennywort and it's only been around a week. Was really surprised how quick it started. A big thanks goes to @sdwindansea for the healthy plants. Nice of you to hook her up with some pennywort. I bet it's going to fill up a good bit of her tank in no time.

-James

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:25 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I don't think my knowledge had evolved enough yet to venture into separate ferts but I'm still doing my reading though. I think by the time I finish all these ferts (all 3000ml) haha I will be venturing into what you did.

I have already seen some new leaves emerge on the pennywort and it's only been around a week. Was really surprised how quick it started. A big thanks goes to @sdwindansea for the healthy plants. Nice of you to hook her up with some pennywort. I bet it's going to fill up a good bit of her tank in no time.

-James

Yeah Pennywort grows fast, and the clippings you received look so healthy! I love how versatile it is, too.

Honestly I don't know too much what I'm doing with dry ferts yet either, but I figured if I started with a basic dosing regime that was outlined in a post on here ( https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html ), then I could just react to problems as they popped up. So far it's been working for me, lol! No fishies are dead, and I avoided disaster from two different types of algae that showed up, so I'm calling it a win thus far.
jfhrtn and jfhrtn like this.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMuse View Post
Yeah Pennywort grows fast, and the clippings you received look so healthy! I love how versatile it is, too.

Honestly I don't know too much what I'm doing with dry ferts yet either, but I figured if I started with a basic dosing regime that was outlined in a post on here ( https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html ), then I could just react to problems as they popped up. So far it's been working for me, lol! No fishies are dead, and I avoided disaster from two different types of algae that showed up, so I'm calling it a win thus far.
Do you have a tank journal? I will search to see if I can find it. Thanks for the link to the dry dosing fert recipes. Glad you were able to beat back the algea in your tank and that all the fish can tell the tale of the new ferts haha

-James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode