Matt's Shrimp Farm Journal (Pic Heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to soundgy
Matt's Shrimp Farm Journal (Pic Heavy)

Hey All,

I decided to start a journal and log my progress of my new shrimp farm project. I have already assembled the stand. Here is the thread for that: Here

I am going to start up shrimp breeding. My goal is clear: Breed shrimp for fun and if I can make a couple dollars on the side, even better. I am not doing this to get rich or even break even. Although, if I do make good money off of it, I won't complain So the expectations are set.

Moving forward. I have picked the tank layout I want and will include an exported .png top view and front view. The PowerPoint file is zipped and attached if anyone wants it for w/e reason. It has symbols for tank sizes ranging from 2 1/2 gallon to 40 gallon (to scale).

As I find the tanks on sale, I will pick them up and put them in their rightful place. Right now, I only have 1 10 gallon with about 40 cherries in it for my own display tank. Once my 20H is cycled they will be dumped into there and I will setup the 10 into the shrimp farm.

I have not decided what I will be growing yet, but I know CRS are on the list. A member has also suggested to me Sulawesi shrimp as they could be in demand in my area. Cherries are not on the list. Suggestions are welcome!

Filtration: I will be using air powered sponge filters. I found a really huge aquarium air pump and I will pipe it's output to each tank. I want to keep each tank's water column separate for many reasons most of you already know.

Lighting: Every shelf will have 2 - 48" T8 light fixtures mounted to the bottom of the shelf above it. I think I will use single bulb fixtures due to the proximity of the light source to the tanks. I would think that should be plenty of light given these are CO2 High Light tanks. Just 100% shrimp and green plants.

If I am missing anything here, or anyone has any questions, let me know. I will for sure keep this updated as things change. This is my favorite aquatic project yet!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Shrimp Shelf.zip (52.0 KB, 40 views)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode