45 for Angels - The Planted Tank Forum
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
45 for Angels

Current tank shot 5/10/19:

Anybody remember this attempt I made? Third time's a charm. It's up and running!

It's a 45g I'm keeping in my basement hallway niche. Started off just part full, because I didn't have a filter with capacity for the entire water volume yet, but wanted to get it going and put the cories in there so they could have the bigger footprint already. So I had it set up with fifteen gallons of water, a 50 watt heater and three filters running on airlines- my 20g capacity corner filter stuffed with media taken from the 38g's canister, and my two small extra sponge filters (10g capacity each). These came straight out of the 10g quarantine tank, and all the contents went in here too- plastic plants, driftwood sticks, rocks, fake decor (pipe, bridge, clay arches).

Lighting is just the simple LED strip that came with the kit. I'm keeping it low tech and sticking to low-light, really undemanding plants. Especially since the tank is tall, I don't know how much would reach the bottom anyway.

Leaf litter is new- I sorted (to get the cleanest) oak leaves from the yard, boiled them twenty minutes, soaked in dechlor water with carbon for twenty-four hours as prep. I hoped with all that stuff carrying over good bacteria on its surfaces, I'd get an instant cycle, and I think it worked again. I've been testing daily and the tank has zero nitrite, zero ammonia, 5-10 ppm nitrate steady. Started with handful of ramshorn snails as inhabitants and test subjects. They did fine. In fact, I found an egg case already, ha. (More on the snails later).

I also put in a lot of expired fish flakes tied in a pantyhose to provide ammonia, and have been dropping in daily fresh food equal to the amount I'd feed the first fishes I want to put in here (brochis splendens- emerald catfish): one algae wafer, two or three shrimp pellets. Of course this means the snails are multiplying but the plan is for them to be food to the fishes, anyway. (Perry is getting fed some of the extra little ones, for now).

On to the plants! Perry's tank donated a few rocks and small sticks, and this one free-floating vallisneria. Which is now lightly tied down to a fragment of driftwood, and seems happy enough. It's grown a bit in the few days been in here.

I thinned a bunch of plants out of the betta's tenner. Various anubia, including a large cutting off this one barteri that has been obscuring the skull cave (the tenner doesn't look much different except now I can see the skull more, and the shrimps are easier to spot in the background).

Most of the anubia lanceolata, congensis and afzelii.

This smaller anubias on the left, is one I grew from an inch rhizome piece. It still has a long way to go!

A few bucephalandra tied onto rocks.

Leaf litter! I am planning to keep this tank more or less bare bottom- with a layer of oak leaves. Next time I prep leaves I might cut them into smaller pieces, though. I know the fishes will kick them around, the plants should more or less stay in place (most are epiphytes on rocks)

I've tucked subwassertang into a few corners- even though I know it probably won't stay there.

I used to dislike using this corner filter for the annoying blub-blub sound. Fixed that. Had to remove a bit of the media- I think I stuffed it too full at first (this was several days after setup) so I threw away the wad of flake food that was getting stinky in the pantyhose, and loosely tied the media I took out of this filter in there, instead. Also helpful to rinse when it seems to slow, and take care to work all the air pockets out- that's tricky- before replacing in the tank. But what really silenced it was sticking a folded bit of mesh into the output pipe. It breaks up the outflow into finer bubbles.

So at that point my part-filled tank looked like this:

and then two days later it went to this:

Because a friend of my husband was tearing down his last tank (retiring) and gave me all these plants, and some driftwood. It had algae that cleaned off easy with a bit of scrub, and got a soak to boot.

I put the additional anubia lanceolata or whatever they are with the others in front to make a denser group. I like it.

I'm really pleased with the java ferns- here in two different kinds of lighting. Java fern never does great in my other tanks, seems to need more nutrient so I feel a bit dubious how it will do in here. But perhaps it will get something from the breakdown of the leaves?

And then I realized my 50-watt heater wasn't keeping up with the volume. It was on constantly. I had to fill the tank already to put in my 200-watt heater instead. My fishkeeping friend loaned me this MUCH larger sponge filter. I kept the two small ones in the tank, just sitting around- but now with this puppy running and the 20g corner filter- I feel good about it for now.

Here's the final look. Hornwort floating is bright and even pearling- I don't like that it gets pushed all to the center, but intend to get a canister and then shift the media from the three smaller filters into it... Also the largest anubias is fairly dead center- but when it grows, new foliage will extend to the right, and when I move that sponge filter out, can shift the driftwood over too. I'm more pleased with it off the bat than I really expected to be. (I was going to keep it very minimalist- but seems I can't help putting plants and plants in there!)

It just needs a tangle of sticks now. And then some fishes. (The cories got adopted before I got this far, so for now it is one big snail and a bunch of little ones).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 05-12-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: updated tank shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good!
post #3 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoBTC View Post
Looks good!
Thanks! I keep expecting some plants to start dying (especially the java fern) lol, but crossing my fingers...

So far it's started out with the ramshorn snails. They are hard to spot. Like to crawl around under the leaf litter, of course. Here's one in the background on the underside of a buce leaf.

I kept an eye out for them the first few days, to make sure they were okay with conditions, and got a few closer pics

Then transferred in the apple snail- it's grown so much bigger! but I was concerned because for a day it didn't move. Floating at the surface. I took it out- no stink (and found out they just happen to chill like this sometimes).

I dropped in a piece of blanched spinach on a glass bead sinker. Apple snail was in the corner for hours over that spinach.

(and when I pulled up the fragment of spinach it left behind, found a tiny ramshorn was enjoying it, too)

Now I find myself in the basement a lot, watching the apple snail crawl around the tank...

particularly interesting when it navigates narrow sticks

or the underside of leaves

I never thought I'd be so taken with a snail... if it decides to eat plants, well I hope it goes for the subwassertang and leaves the buces alone. I can't imagine it would munch on tough anubia or java fern...

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow that really looks great and your plant selection should fit very well. It's super easy to add a little more light... much more difficult to tone down an overly powerful fixture. Beamswork would be perfect.
I LOVE angels... but they don't fit with my tanks at the moment. What are you getting? I had Dantums (so gorgeous) Pinoy Ghost and another one from the Phillipine blue line. If you haven't chosen a breeder (please go with a breeder, they are just as affordable, but 10 times as pretty) Carol BASKINGTON on Aquabid is FANTASTIC and has insane prices on incredible angels. I don't know if you'll be able to do more than a single mated pair long term though...

Twin high tech 75's -
post #5 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Wow that really looks great and your plant selection should fit very well....
Thanks so much!

Yes, I am only planning on keeping a pair. I am not sure where I will get them yet. I am actually looking for the old standard classic "wild type" silvers- no pearlscale or veils- totally for nostalgic reasons because that is the kind I first got as a kid from friends of the family who bred them, and they are still my favorites. I like zebra types too, but am not too fond of kois or the other new colors although the blue pinoys do look awesome... but I have time to figure it out because I still want to finish putting in driftwood sticks (to kind of look like root tangle in there) and make sure it is well established before I add angels...

I've changed my mind on the bottom dwellers, though. Today I moved in my four black kuhli loaches. For several reasons: all my kuhlis are starting to get mature and more healthy-looking, robust in girth. I am starting to wonder if they might breed because I see new behavior. I would want the black and striped ones separate if that happens. (Not sure if they would cross, though). And I decided it would just be cool to see the kuhlis slipping in and out of the leaf litter, rather than boisterous catfish shoving everything around (which I've seen even the smaller peppered ones do in the QT that had this kind of decor).

Here's how it looks now.

I moved a few things around to put the corner filter actually in the corner, and the clay arch behind the anubias thicket. I'm reconsidering my filtration, too. Maybe I will get a second quality sponge filter and just run one in each corner, instead of investing in a canister. I keep hearing horror stories from folks I know- one guy told me he knew a canister to blow a gasket and leak all over under the stand, another told me if power goes out and the media is stagnant for hours, when you turn on the filter again all that dead stuff kicked into the tank will kill the fishes. Yikes. I never had any issues yet with my Eheim in the 38, but I still feel nervous every time I go to flip the valves and open it up. A sponge is so easy- seems like no risk- as long as it can keep the water clear.

I tested parameters again this morning. Zero ammonia or nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. I thought the leaf litter would affect pH but it's at 7.8 just like my other tanks. I'm going to add more soon.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I understand sentimental attachments. Those anubias are so lush and green! Any reason you aren't considering an aquaclear? Super easy to clean, reliable, and better mechanical filtration than a sponge

Twin high tech 75's -
post #7 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
... Any reason you aren't considering an aquaclear? Super easy to clean, reliable, and better mechanical filtration than a sponge
Hm, well I had an aquaclear once the plastic housing cracked and it leaked. Bad memory. I am not too fond of HOB filters in general anymore. Plus there's only about 1" between the tank and the wall, and I'd have to custom cut the hood skirt to hang it on the short end. Might think about it some more, though.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, so here's my new thought on filtration. Currently I have (borrowed) what I think is a Hydor IV sponge (rated for 80 gal) on an air pump rated for 20gal and also my corner filter (rated for 20gal) on two 10gal air pumps... it was temporary what I could throw together to get this running. (It definitely makes enough ripple across the top of the tank).

I'm thinking of replacing all that, getting two Hydor III Pro sponge filters (rated for 40gal) and running each one on a 20gal rated air pump- with a valve to adjust air flow. I can rinse each sponge alternately when they need cleaning. Will that be good filtration for the tank? I feel like the sponges themselves will have enough physical capacity for the biological filtration- but not sure how much the amount of air flow matters. Should I up the size of the air pumps if I decide to go that route. I would prefer the Hydor III because I think it would be a bit less visible in the back corners of the tank.

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Ok, so here's my new thought on filtration. Currently I have (borrowed) what I think is a Hydor IV sponge (rated for 80 gal) on an air pump rated for 20gal and also my corner filter (rated for 20gal) on two 10gal air pumps... it was temporary what I could throw together to get this running. (It definitely makes enough ripple across the top of the tank).

I'm thinking of replacing all that, getting two Hydor III Pro sponge filters (rated for 40gal) and running each one on a 20gal rated air pump- with a valve to adjust air flow. I can rinse each sponge alternately when they need cleaning. Will that be good filtration for the tank? I feel like the sponges themselves will have enough physical capacity for the biological filtration- but not sure how much the amount of air flow matters. Should I up the size of the air pumps if I decide to go that route. I would prefer the Hydor III because I think it would be a bit less visible in the back corners of the tank.
In my experience those ratings (pump and filter sponges) are very optimistic. I only follow them if the sponge is a secondary means of filtration. It seems to me that the ratings are also more applicable for a bare bottom tank. For a planted tank with sponges the only means of filtration I would upsize sponges and especially pumps... everything we talk about is turnover... how much turn over is there for a sponge filter??? I would go at least double the rated sponge size and pump size. Looks like you're good with sponges at about 100 gallons, but definately step up those pumps. Even then it's not going to do much for mechanically cleaning the water.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #10 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hm, ok. Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is pretty much a bare bottom tank...

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh I love it!! I love the look of the leaf litter. I'm gonna have to try it out one of these days.
I'm sure those kuhli loaches are loving all the hiding spots up under the leaves

Low tech planted tanks

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #12 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, @lisals! I'm liking it too, and I think the kuhlis are very happy in here. It's so fun to watch them going in and out of the leaf litter, they kind of leap and slide over and under like dolphins through surf, ha. I really enjoy watching them.
lisals and lisals like this.

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

updates-

from 6/13-
most of my plants seem to be doing okay- some of the anubias are rather pale, especially the largest one on the driftwood (it just sprouted the first new leaf); this mid-sized barteri in the corner still looks the best

the smaller anubias thicket quickly gathers debris-

so do the smaller buces- these photos a few days apart-

I thinks it's this guy's fault. The seemingly excessive debris. Large snails poop a lot. I'd heard this before, but it's something else to see it all over the tank!

Well, I still think it's a very cool snail to watch.

I learned that at higher temps (my tank is at 78-79 right now) they have a shorter lifespan, sometimes as short as six months. I don't know how old it was when I got it. Certainly has grown fast. I may just wait for it to reach its natural end, before adding the angelfish.... . . . because I don't like seeing the mess it makes. It moves in very fast on the food sometimes- can even beat the kuhlis to a morsel if they're still blasting around the tank randomly with excitement over the food smell

Here's a few of the ramshorns converging on food.

They are multiplying- I find egg clusters all over the place. So far I'm still okay with this. The glass is perfectly clear of algae.

Here's one doing its job (same snail from the second photo in this post, just above the anubias thicket)

Kuhlis are either hidden, or in constant motion. Come out very active when I drop food in.

I found a better way to do my water changes. Traditional vacuum is no good in a tank without real substrate. I got a piece of tubing, attached a rigid pipe on the end long enough to reach the bottom easily, and I can maneuver it into crevices to remove mulm. Rubber-banded a bit of mesh on the end to prevent larger pieces of leaf getting sucked up. Works a charm.

I had my first alarming accident the week before when tried to do a water change with the regular siphon- it was awkward to say the least. I was looking close at my doings in the tank and jostled the wastewater bucket hard enough that a lot of water sloshed out. It was all over the floor and running under the tank stand and baseboards- I hollered in alarm and my husband came running and got out the shop vac. Now it's kind of funny- a few towels mopped it up and really it was only two gallons of water that had spilled. I was able to wick it out from under the stand with paper towels, but then had to re-level with composite shims because the cedar ones I used got wet and shrank. Yikes. Just a few gallons so alarming, I can't imagine what a real leak or spill would do. We reacted fast, and I am more careful now, and it's easier to do so with a better (in this case handmade) tool for the job.

vallisneria- I added a few more

Final shot: one little java fern that came loose from its hold. I've had to re-tie quite a few plants, actually. Some of the other java ferns have new fiddleheads arising, so I hope they do well in this tank.
sittinglynx likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

more updates

from 6/17-
I added a lot more leaf litter. Took quite a while to sort, clean and soak oak leaves from last fall's stash, one plastic grocery bag full (a fraction of what I have saved up) turned out to be just the right amount. Most of them I trimmed and cut into smaller pieces this time.

It has the exact effect I was hoping for. The leaf litter hides all the rock anchors, so it looks like the plants are growing straight out of them.

Buces, smallest plants in here, barely poke up above the litter, I'm glad I tied them onto highest points of rocks. They should grow upwards and keep clear of it. I didn't think about it until I had dropped all the leaves in, but oops I have completely smothered all the subwassertang! And the small vals got covered, too. I bet a val might grow up out of the litter, but maybe the subwassertang will die. That's okay, I have plenty more of it in other tanks.

Largest anubias grew a new leaf.

Some java ferns have new, young leaves growing too.

My apple snail has been topside feeding off the hornwort lately. I am often fascinated at how it manages to cling to a single, narrow stem of hornwort up there. Eventually its weight pulls the plant down, or it lets go and sinks down to the bottom of the tank again. It spreads its foot out wide when falling, like it is gliding through the water.

Such a handsome snail, even it I am annoyed at all its poops. (Most of that is hidden under the deeper leaf litter now.)

Kuhlis love the additional leaves. The entire tank floor is their hideout now. Here's a glimpse of one.

I made a selection of forked sticks from dead branches that fell off our oak, maple and sycamore trees in the past few spring storms. Prepping them for tank use- first I boiled them in my pressure cooker (just as the biggest pot in the house, not with the lid on!) this way and then taking them all out turned around to boil the other ends. For hours. Water stained very dark. Now I'm peeling bark off the sticks when I have time, and dropping into the tank where they just float, to let them get water logged.

Apple snail spends a lot of time up among the floating sticks. It is probably eating the biofilm or fungus that emerges, because I haven't seen any sign of that ugly white stuff yet. I don't mind letting the sticks float for a few weeks while the snail cleans them off. I'm seeing a lot more ramshorn snails because they come up to feed off the wood, too. And somehow- unintentionally- I've introduced limpets into this tank. Probably on a plant. Oh well. They are not very noticeable in the large tank, and they do help keep the glass very clean.

from 6/27-
Finished soaking all the sticks I collected, and peeled the bark off. Most are half-floating in the top of my 45gal, a few have begun to sink. The snails are enjoying wood surfaces. It has tinted the water somewhat. Already the tank is looking more natural as a few are angling down to the bottom and I like how the light plays over them.

from 7/18-
The sticks waterlogged faster than I'd hoped.

I started arranging a few

Snails crawl all over them- and not a single sign of fungus. My snails eat it all.

Some of the plants came loose from their anchors, but as long as they stay low in the tank, I don't care if they drift a bit.

To my surprise, I found the little vallisneria I'd smothered in leaf litter, is still alive and green. A lot of the subwassertang I'd unintentionally buried is also still green. Cheers!
Saxtonhill likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Last week my tank looked like this-

Then I took all the plastic plants out (and some extra bags of media) to make a QT setup. And I took the hornwort out, gave it to the serpae tetra 20H, moved frobits in. Rearranged a few plants, too- and of course the sticks always get shifted around a bit when I do a cleaning.

Today I put in the pothos (from Perry's old tank- it will do well in the very low light of this basement hallway). The roots are very long. I managed to work them back through the holes of plastic support strip without breaking many (had to reposition a few). Also replenished leaf litter. And swapped lights- took the kit hood and light off the 45, and put on it LED and glass lid that used to be on the 38. It's probably too bright now- Experimenting with plastic layers to see what will get the light level back to where I had it- don't know if I can match that close enough.

However I have a few more plants in here (so much for making this a driftwood/leaf litter only tank). I moved in the buces on dragon stone. Green 'wavy' in the background

and brownie ghost piece in the fore.

My other buces are still doing pretty well, in here.

I am moving my entire kuhli loach gang into this tank now. They certainly can't live with Perry, and I don't want to overcrowd the 20H (although tetras look very happy now they're starting to settle in). Today I introduced three newer black kuhlis (just out of QT), and the striped ones Albert and Tiger. I still have to catch Sassy and Monty- they accidentally got moved into the 20H- I think crawled into a bag of media and hid until I plopped them unceremoniously into the tank. I've set a trap (all day) and just now Sassy is starting to creep near it. He must be hungry...

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode