45 for Angels - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
named my angels

I did another water change this morning, 35%. I propped up the fallen stick, and rinsed one of the filter sponges. I was a concerned one of the angels has dark on the edge of its tail, and keeps twitching like something irritates it- shaking its head, or the fins (like my cat does when something tickles his ear). I think I was at fault not rinsing the frozen food before I put it in the tank- I'd just been thawing it in a bit of tank water and siphoning out to drop in the tank (with a straw). Now I'll give it a quick rinse, too, before feeding. Water definitely clearer now, and the angels seem more relaxed. They're also showing better color- stripes bolder.

I keep thinking of the smaller, extra-striped one as Zee.

Which, coincidentally, can have the following meanings: The ability to see something so clearly that it reflects the undisputable truth, a total experience combining all the senses in one or one who is like a god or dazzling looks and influential personality but that's all from urban dictionary so who knows. I was just thinking Zee for zebra, and because it sounds like the name of something little.

I'm calling the other one Aaya (or Aiya).

Harder to get a closeup of this fish, definitely more camera-shy and moves away quickly. So most of the individual pics I try for turn out like this. (Zee comes out sooner and moves faster towards food- I though at first just hungrier, but maybe the little one is bolder too).

Aaya is a mother goddess in Akkadian mythology (ancient Mesopotamia), also can mean someone beautiful and amazing in every possible way. Spelled with one less a, it's a Japanese name meaning colorful or beautiful and an Old German word meaning sword. Spelled Aiya, it's a Hebrew name meaning bird. Either way I think it fits.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful names! I use tweezers to feed bloodworms. I control the rate they go into the tank that way. Brine shrimp, mysis, whatever. I can target feed a little better that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I do have a pair of small tweezers I use for fish-only stuff. I could pluck out the bloodworms individual, but the brine and mysis shrimps are so small, it seems easier to use the straw. They were a lot more eager to eat the frozen food this evening (I didn't have any leftover from the fourth of a cube I thawed, so my betta and paradise fishes got none!). The angels nearly bump heads when zoom after the same bloodworm, it's funny. They come up front and keep watching for me to drop a little more in. I'm starting to use the tap-tap signal for feeding like I've done with my tetras, to call them to the front top of the tank. I might just be able to use a half or whole cube at one feeding, soon- which will be a lot easier. I find it messy to thaw a portion of a cube.
mbkemp likes this.

|
|
|
|

post #34 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I was mildly alarmed this morning when I saw Zee kept holding tail pinched closed. And Aiya, when pale (from sleep or being startled) had a few spots on the dorsal fin that still remain dark. But when colored up, those spots are white against the black stripe. I looked very close and it doesn't seem to be something attached- just a mark on the fin that doesn't change color with the fish.

When in doubt, change water- so I did. My husband is starting to get slightly annoyed at fish buckets being around all the time. Every day feels like a fish day, now! Aiya appears to feel fine. Zee stopped pinching the tail after the water change.

They both come eagerly to the front when realize it's food time, and they sure love the new offering. I bought online Aquatic Foods Ultra Cichlid Gro Flakes and Hikari Discus Bio-Gold (pellets). This morning I gave them the flake- those pieces are huge! Three crumbled flakes was plenty, they looked stuffed. And wow, they snarfed it down fast. Tomorrow I'll give them the Bio-Gold.

I've got a little routine started. Mornings I give them one of the dry, prepared foods. Midday they get either Gold Pearls or live mosquito larvae. Evenings I give them one of the frozen foods. Today I tried them on a new frozen mix and they really liked that too. I don't know if it matters what kind of food they get in what part of the day? but I'm glad to see them gobble it all down so fast!
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #35 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Aiya, front center (Zee nearby on left had just turned away)
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #36 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking great! Sounds like the Angels are settling in well.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #37 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you! Yes, I think they're doing well. Not startling as much, and beginning to come up expectantly to top front when I'm near the tank, not just when they smell the food in the water. It's lovely to see them.

Odd thing, last night for the first time I fed them this frozen food 'Emerald Entrée' which has as main ingredients Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, plankton, krill, spinach, romaine lettuce, red-leaf lettuce, spirulina. They did not eat all the parts, but that's okay because my kuhlis went nuts for it too. And the angels started to show blue-green color across the top of their heads. Ever seen that?

I'll have to get a picture of it, if it happens again. This morning their color is normal again. I wonder if they have some Philipine blue in their genetics or was it simply caused by the food?

|
|
|
|
post #38 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

did something go wrong

I thought my angels were old enough to be okay fasting one day a week, and I don't want to overfeed the tank... so yesterday I skipped feeding, and this morning did a 25% wc, rinsing half the filter sponge. This morning I saw with dismay that Zee, the smaller angelfish, doesn't have a straight dorsal fin anymore.

You can see Aiya here in the foreground, looks great (I think I even see the top filament on caudal fin starting to grow back).

Zee- smaller one on right here- dorsal is bent at top. I am upset, because I've read this is usually due to the fish growing up in crowded conditions. Do I have too many kuhlis, am I overfeeding, am I not changing the water often enough. Argh.

Aiya on the left: dorsal nice and straight-

Zee: not straight. Extra thought: maybe a stick fell on him, and bent the fin rays? (sometimes they slide)

full tank shot:

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 08-25-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added a thought
post #39 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Algae Grower

Nicely done
post #40 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tried to get a few photos of them today. They are growing fast- can see it especially if I compare the size in earlier full-tank shots. Here they're both in the picture:

In this one Zee is just behind Aiya

They've both grown a lot-

but Aiya is definitely the more stunning fish

I couldn't get a nice detailed photo though, because now I have the same problem as with my paradise fishes- they are either facing the camera begging from me, or shy away from the light when I press the shutter button to focus, and move off.

They still get startled easily, but obviously recognize me and come up front expectantly when I walk near the tank. It's nice to be appreciated!

I know which one I will choose to keep, if it comes to a day when they start fighting for territory . . .

|
|
|
|
post #41 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you might have a pair

post #42 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
I think you might have a pair
That sure would be nice- but how can you tell? Would they already be fighting at this point, if they didn't like each other? I don't think they're full size yet. They do often swim around the tank side by side, mirroring each other's movements, so I certainly hope so!
mbkemp likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #43 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

45 for Angels

It is difficult to be certain until vents show. Then it is easy. An Angelfish pro gave a drawing once that I can’t describe. The drawing was of the area in front of the anal fin.

post #44 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

From the pictures the fish with the bent fin is female I think

post #45 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

angels on black

I'm thinking of changing their names- because they seem to be acting like a pair, and if the other one is female, this stunner is probably a male and Aiya doesn't sound right anymore. I haven't though of a new one, yet.

The supposed female, I'm now called Skye. Lovely blue highlights showing up in her dorsal and anal fins. There's a dark mark behind each eye- which only shows up sometimes- makes me think of Egyptian kohl.

I've added black backdrop to the tank. My angels are much less skittish now, and the filters fade into the background.

I dropped their feeding to twice a day- though still generous enough they get rounded bellies. I'm still doing twice-weekly 35% water changes, and I usually rinse one of the sponges at that time. Skye has almost caught up in size. Of course, I failed to get a photo of them side-by-side in focus.

Even when their stripes wash out- sorry they get alarmed so easy- I think they're beautiful. I couldn't decide which of these photos I like better, so here's both.

Alhough this photo came out totally blurred, I really like something about it.

If they turn head or tail to me, they vanish among the sticks. Sometimes I have to stand still in front of the tank for a moment and can't see them until they move towards me, drifting to the top ever hopeful. I like that.

more pictures- of the plants- coming soon!

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode