45 for Angels - Page 14 - The Planted Tank Forum
 130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Giving the angelfish second round of kanaplex now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My angelfish completed a second round of kanaplex (last week- I forgot to update). The fins are all growing back nicely. Still red around the pectoral joint. She comes eagerly to the front glass when I approach the tank now, and sometimes goes so avidly for food that water splashes out of the tank. I trimmed the hornwort back and she seems more comfortable without it crowding and blocking the water surface so much. At least, easier to go for the food.

|
|
|
|
post #198 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

doug105! and Desert Pupfish like this.

|
|
|
|

post #199 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Um, I got a new tank. Well, it's used but new to me.

How this happened: months ago, someone at fish club offered me a free tank stand that fits 33L or 55, and I took it. Been sitting in my basement. Since then, I'd been on the lookout for an empty 55 gallon- I didn't want someone's complete setup because my plan is to just move all the equipment, plants etc from my 45 into a 55 . . . and then one finally came up! Even with a black backdrop already on it. Pleased.

Did a 24-hour leak test outside.

It held up fine. I emptied it today (watered the garden and all my shrubs). Now it's sitting inside again on the stand, waiting for the next step. Switching tanks out again is a big job I know from past experience. But I'm wanting to do it. For her sake-

I continue to feel bad for my angel. Most of her fins are healing but the anal fin has got even shorter. It's not good.

I went up to the tank with a tape measure to make sure the new one will fit in the space- and when I lifted my arms just above, Miss Beautiful freaked out, crashed into the corner. Hadn't seen that in a long time. I am starting to think she really was traumatized when young. And the tetras I got to help her feel calmer- I'm starting to think I've deluded myself. They're probably biting her fins, causing the damage. I should get rid of them and find her some other kind of companions.

I wanted to have a 55 to give her more space- an extra foot to utilize horizontally, although not as much height- and also so that it's easier to work in. I'm tired of having to stand on a stool and use tools to reach into the back or very bottom of the tank.

It will just be an entire day of work to tear this one all down and set the new one up. I'm both dreading it and excited about it at the same time.

|
|
|
|
post #200 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I recently trimmed a bunch of stuff in here- anubias leaves with algae, some melting crypt pieces and cut back a bit of the long strappy val foliage. Moved around some buces, resituated the java ferns (they're doing better now tho I don't know why), happy to find my one remaining bit of crypt wendtii is still alive. Pleased to see the crypt balansae in front corner is growing well! But after a few days of looking at the tank I don't like the appearance- so I didn't take a new full tank shot, but also don't feel like putting in my hands to rearrange stuff again soon as it freaks out my angel. I do however like how the hornwort stems fill up the sides, a tower of green (ambient light pic)

Um, the female guppies from my window tank are in here now. I've already decided they have to go when my younger minnows are big enough to join the three adults in the 33L. I've been unable to give them away and there's really no place else to put them. Moved them early because I didn't like watching them pick at Laddie. I thought the angel would finish them off, but they're big enough she didn't really try. The tetras harass them, chasing and nipping. They hide most of the time down among the driftwood pieces. Maybe with something smaller to pester, the tetras will leave my angel alone? I kinda doubt it though.

I've been trying to learn what I can do better for Miss Beautiful besides more room or new tankmates. I bumped up the heater to 80 and sorted through all my fish food containers- about a third of them were expired and got composted. I've got three new containers I bought weeks ago but hadn't started using yet, and will go get another soon (the NLS pellets are one of Miss Beautiful's favorite). I hope a bit warmer temps and quality food can help improve her health. (Still has ragged fin edges and redness at the pectorals, otherwise looks great)

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 10-14-2020 at 10:36 PM. Reason: I don't know why everything duplicated i didn't bump it so I erased that
post #201 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My angelfish isn't at her best. Fins slowly growing back, but I saw the black skirt tetras nipping at her yesterday! I sat in the room with the angel tank longer than usual (reading) and had time to really notice what was going on in there.

I don't want to put more tetras in there, increasing the group in hopes they'll leave Miss Beautiful alone. It already feels kinda crowded. So today I caught all the tetras and moved them into the 20H. Again, sigh. I really do like them, but I like my angelfish better- and I don't want to run a fifth tank just to keep them. Going to have to re-home once more. Unhappy about that.

They were hard to catch! No way I can net them with all the hiding spots under and around driftwood. My bottle fish trap is too small. I submerged a large plastic bag and dropped food halfway in. The guppies went in and out for hours, gorging themselves. The angelfish eyed it sideways and never approached. Tetras were wary but eventually one would go in, and then I'd net it out, wait for the rest to settle down and approach once more. Took half the day, going back and forth. I really hope my angel is okay now without them as dither fish- maybe the five female guppies can take that role. Have to find better tank companions perhaps. The last tetra of course got way more skittish and I had to lift out a lot of smaller plants on their anchors, block off part of the tank with piece of plexiglass, and deploy two nets. So stuff got rearranged a little. Miss Beautiful didn't freak out while I did all that work- I think she realized I was catching and removing the bothersome tetras.

Angelfish seems a lot more at ease now. Tetras are ok in that 20H only for a little while- it really isn't big enough- will probably get re-homed (disappointingly this is a total repeat for me).

Funny, my kuhlis also seem relieved the tetras are gone? I saw them wriggling and swimming up and down the plants later in the evening, like I haven't in a long time. Either that, or they were super excited to smell their favorite food in the tank- I used sinking hikari wafers as bait in the fish bag trap- and hadn't given them that in a while.
doug105! likes this.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode