45 for Angels - Page 13 - The Planted Tank Forum
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yah, will do. I've had plain old jungle val in my other tanks- it's lingering in my 33 but not doing well at all. I thought to try the red val because someone else noted it grew a lot more vigorously than the more common types. I don't expect it to keep the red color though, because I don't have high light/ C02. If it stays alive and green, and even spreads, I'll be happy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Finally seems I have a tall plant that will stay tall. The red vals have remained thick and upright, and two have new leaves that attained height quickly. I've pulled off or clipped back a few leaves that were starting to melt but overall it still looks great.

Crossing fingers- looks like this one might be a keeper.

|
|
|
|
post #183 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Found some empty ramshorn shells. I think nearly all my blue ones are gone now. Either they got old, or they got eaten.

|
|
|
|

post #184 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Finally seems I have a tall plant that will stay tall. The red vals have remained thick and upright, and two have new leaves that attained height quickly. I've pulled off or clipped back a few leaves that were starting to melt but overall it still looks great.

Crossing fingers- looks like this one might be a keeper.
Quote:
Found some empty ramshorn shells. I think nearly all my blue ones are gone now. Either they got old, or they got eaten.
Glad to see your red val & aponogetons doing so well, and that you've finally got enough tall plants to keep your angel happy. Trying to order some aponogetons again myself. Preordered some before, but they didn't get them in so I had to cancel the order. Got tired of battling the jungle val and pulled it all out (almost--one popped up later in the middle of another plant) . Then my 2 of my 10 angels decided to pair off months sooner than expected, and started bullying the others--killing one. And with the jungle val gone there's no place to hide. Wishing I still had my jungle val jungle. Hurriedly setting up a new 75 tank I'd been planning to set up next month, so there'll be enough space for everybody.

What's eating your ramshorns? Your angel? Wish I could teach mine to kill all the MTS I've got (assassin snails aren't keeping up with them--yet) I've heard if you smash them against the glass the fish will eat them, and maybe even learn to go after them by themselves.
post #185 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Desert Pupfish. I don't know if anything's eating the snails- I've seen the angel nip at the feelers of the nerites, so I assume she'd nip at and maybe eat ramshorns too. On the other hand, I got these six months ago at already fullsize, it's possible they were just old. I was hoping they'd repopulate, but I haven't seen any little ramshorns in here at all.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #186 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Felt a desire to do something to my angelfish tank, so I'd feel more motivated to care for it. I've gone lax with water changes- for a while they were happening about once every ten or twelve days (instread of the usual seven), then two weeks went by and BSA started to show up on glass and anubias leaves, and I felt guilty. Did a larger water change and rinsed one of the filter sponges. I hadn't tested nitrates before working on the tank but the day after they were below 20ppm, so that looks good.

Pulled out one of the fake plants. Snails have been scraping them- probably to eat the algae but also removing part of the surface and then little bits of white float around the aquarium (I think that's what they're from).

Took that one out so I could see better the crypt balansae.

Then on a whim I pegged down a bunch of hornwort stems again. Usually have to thin out the hornwort weekly, it had gotten quite thick on top and was starting to block the light. This time instead of tossing the trimmings, I tied a bunch of stems to pebbles and glass beads, and filled in the tank with vertical lines of green needles again. So they're still in there taking up nutrients.

It looks nice and jungly now, and the tetras are loving it- darting excitedly all over the place. But my angel has suddenly taken to hiding- behind the filter uplift tube and stand of vallisneria rubra.

I saw a few days prior that one of her pelvic fins had broken, and then it fell off at the break, and now it's split. She came out from the corner to eat when the tank lights were off- her right pelvic is the broken one

split visible

Doing another wc soon, to get back on the weekly schedule. Hoping with clean water she will heal and the fin grow back? Not sure how it happened, or if it's also part of the reason she's been hiding the past few days. I wonder if something scared her and she crashed into a wall again, though I haven't seen that occur in a long time now. She's also in breeding color now, with egg-laying tube showing again. I wonder if depressed because feeling lonely.

BTW, I see some small blue ramshorns now. So they did reproduce! And I hadn't seen my kuhli loaches in a while, but last night fed the tank inhabitants cooked peas, the kuhlis got very excited about that, and I saw three of them out and about. Tiger, Sassy and Monty. Didn't spot Albert, but I'm sure he's still in there.
Brandisimo and Desert Pupfish like this.

|
|
|
|
post #187 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
aww good luck with the blue ramshorns!

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #188 of 195 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

M Beautiful quit hiding. Hard to get a photo of her

because when she saw me, pointed her nose straight and waggled back and forth, begging for food!

I'm glad to see her feeling better, or overcome whatever scared her.
doug105! and Desert Pupfish like this.

|
|
|
|
post #189 of 195 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Then on a whim I pegged down a bunch of hornwort stems again. Usually have to thin out the hornwort weekly, it had gotten quite thick on top and was starting to block the light. This time instead of tossing the trimmings, I tied a bunch of stems to pebbles and glass beads, and filled in the tank with vertical lines of green needles again. So they're still in there taking up nutrients.

It looks nice and jungly now, and the tetras are loving it- darting excitedly all over the place. But my angel has suddenly taken to hiding- behind the filter uplift tube and stand of vallisneria rubra.

I saw a few days prior that one of her pelvic fins had broken, and then it fell off at the break, and now it's split. She came out from the corner to eat when the tank lights were off- her right pelvic is the broken one

split visible

Doing another wc soon, to get back on the weekly schedule. Hoping with clean water she will heal and the fin grow back? Not sure how it happened, or if it's also part of the reason she's been hiding the past few days. I wonder if something scared her and she crashed into a wall again, though I haven't seen that occur in a long time now. She's also in breeding color now, with egg-laying tube showing again. I wonder if depressed because feeling lonely.

BTW, I see some small blue ramshorns now. So they did reproduce! And I hadn't seen my kuhli loaches in a while, but last night fed the tank inhabitants cooked peas, the kuhlis got very excited about that, and I saw three of them out and about. Tiger, Sassy and Monty. Didn't spot Albert, but I'm sure he's still in there.
Your tank is looking great! The hornwort looks good that way, but IME it started losing its lower needles, so I had to keep trimming it up from the bottom and reattaching it. But as long as the top keeps growing, you should have some nice tall growth, and only floaters are better at keeping your water clean--even if you slack off on WC

And delighted to see that you've finally got some val doing well for you--I know you battled with that for a long time. Between that and the tall hornwort she should have plenty of hiding places. Though odd that she suddenly gets shy like that--she should be Queen of the Tank....
post #190 of 195 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, @Desert Pupfish!

Yep, I've pegged down hornwort like this before in other tanks, I know I'll probably have to retie the ends periodically. Today did wc about a week after tying the stems down, to my surprise the stems are still healthy-looking all the way down to the ties. I trimmed some of the tops off where a new plume was growing, and let the smaller pieces float again. They're mostly in bunches so if do start to degrade at the bottom ends it won't be too much trouble to tie them again. And when it does get to be a pain, I'll once again quit keeping hornwort this way.

This angelfish has been kinda skittish for a long time. I think got frightened too many times when younger, when the tank was in basement hallway they got spooked a lot. I don't see the tetras ever nipping at her, but she does get annoyed with them sometimes. If they're darting in and taking food from in front of her nose, she'll start dashing around to strike at them. Sometimes I skip feeding the tetras and spot-feed the angelfish in a corner. She recognizes my hand and will hover just below it, even jumping a bit to take flake or pellet from my fingers.

|
|
|
|
post #191 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My 45 has been struggling a bit again. I try to feed the tetras lean and give the angelfish her own food -she's good at following my hand above the water and will even leap a bit to snatch a bite from my fingers- but the tetras are so quick to dart in and take food right in front of her nose. Sometimes this seems to make her angry- after feeding time she will plane around the tank making vicious dashes at the tetras. (They always evade her).

Vals have grown more and more- the longest reach all the way across the surface now. I trimmed out some older leaves. To my surprise hornwort stems I weighed down haven't deteriorated- they're thriving. I trim them back when they get too tall, and have tied down some more. Angelfish doesn't really like those thickets of stiff needles and kinda stays on the side where the vals are.

The tank had got lots of unsightly black spot algae, especially on anubias. Newer leaves look fine so I trimmed off older ones, cut one rhizome back and tied the piece onto a new spot. I accidentally spilled my bottle of prime a week ago, and kept putting off going to the store to buy more, so the tank missed a water change. I did two partial wc this week, and made sure to rinse out one of the sponge filters too.

But the angelfish has another fin edge deteriorating- the anal fin this time. All the tetras look totally fine, but any drop in water quality she seems to start to get fin rot, which concerns me. I hadn't bothered to test nitrates this time- I knew the tank needed a water change so I just did some. Maybe I should have tested, to know exactly how bad it's gotten.

|
|
|
|
post #192 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
aww sad that the tetras have turned out so mean, poor angel just trying to get food

Yeah, I feel you on trying to make the water changes on time. are you still doing the bucket method?

I found that if I invested in a quick water change method like routing a quick drain/fill line up to my tank vs carrying buckets then I was willing to stay on top of the water changers more often.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #193 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Don't think the tetras are being mean, haha. Just always have an appetite, and so darn quick! I'd just rather give my angelfish the treats, and think the tetras could easily skip a few days a week really. They're such opportunists though.

I'm usually good on water change schedule. Just with the kids being home 24/7 and medical issues in the family and THEN I wiped out my prime so lagged on it again. Yeah, still using buckets. It really doesn't take me a lot of time- I can change fifteen gallons on the tank, wipe down the glass, trim some plants all in under half an hour. If that's all the maint it needs for the week, no problem. Plus I like to use the tank wastewater on plants outside. They need it in our hot summers here. Letting it go down the drain with a fitted hose, don't want to do do that.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #194 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think my angelfish has septicemia. For a very long time- years actually- she's had redness where the pectorals meet the body. I came up with septicemia before but thought that couldn't be it, as all the accounts I read said that fish die very quickly from the disease. This week, in spite of the fact that I've been feeding more lightly, doing larger water changes and cleaning the filter sponges more frequently than I used to, she's got redness on the body margins, and fin rot on all. Her dorsal is split, anal fin shortened, pelvic and tail fin edges ragged. I feel like I'm failing her.

I started reading more, and somehow my searches turned up a different set of case studies this time- several with fishes that lived years having septicemia. Damn, the symptoms match. I bought kanaplex and started treatment on sunday- today was the second dose. I don't see any improvement yet, although the fin deterioration might have slowed down, it's hard to tell. She still has appetite, but hides in the back nearly all day and doesn't come out to greet me as often, or as eagerly.

|
|
|
|
post #195 of 195 (permalink) Old Today, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I treated the angelfish tank with Kanaplex. Started last sunday, third dose was on thursday. Day before yesterday I did a larger water change- over thirty percent. She looks better. The fins have stopped degrading, the rip in dorsal is healed, pelvic and anal fins are starting to grow back out, and edges of caudal and pectorals look cleaner. Redness on body edges is less. Still looks inflamed at the joint where pectorals join the body, but not as much as before. Will it help to do a second round of kanaplex and how long should I wait to do so.

Tank parameters today: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 10ppm

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; Today at 03:12 AM. Reason: added params

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode