210g Very High Tech Getting Started - The Planted Tank Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
210g Very High Tech Getting Started

210g w/ Dual Overflow
Custom Built 40" Stand with Electrical 'closet/cabinet' (yes I'll have to be on a step stool to trim it anyway)
40g Sump
Hard Plumbing w/ custom Manifold
Reef Octopus VarioS-8 Return Pump
Vortech MP-40wQD
Apex Controller
DOS and DDR Dosing System
Apex ATK w/ Solenoid running to RO/DI
Apex WXM
10lbs CO2 with Custom Rex Griggs 4" PVC Reactor (off the manifold)
ADA Aqua Soil - Amazonia
4x EcoTech RADION XR15 FW G4 PRO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180522_123229.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	856474  

Name:	IMG_20180522_123247.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	856482  

Name:	IMG_20180522_123313.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	856490  

Name:	IMG_20180522_123343.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	856498  

Greggz, Greggz, chayos00 and 8 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks great so far.

Loads of potential there.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Subscribed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like you've got an algae bloom. Oh wait, thats just the wall! j/k

It probably could use a nice black background.
sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Brief history:

December 2017 - March 2018 - Bought the initial equipment, decided against using the normal AGA Stand and started building my own
March (end) 2018 - I started a fishless cycle with Ammonia Commercial Cleaner from ACE Hardware. Turned out that my SUPER old API test kit had gone bad. The Nitrites always read 0.
Early May 2018 - Got a new test kit and the tank was cycled. I tried adding up to 4ppm Ammonia. 24 hours later Ammonia and Nitrites at 0.
May 2018 - Evaporation was real... around 2-3 gallons per day (I had the heat cranked up to 86-88 to help the cycling) installed the Apex ATK, ran a water line to the RO/DI system in the opposite corner of the basement.

To do/setup:
CO2 Reactor running off the return manifold and back into the sump
DOS/DDR setup
Fix Stand Drawer mounting
Plants!!!

Upcoming Plans:
Plant and grow out
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I wouldn't put the co2 reactor on the manifold and return to sump but rather on the return line to tank. Less gas-off that way.
chayos00 and chayos00 like this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Looks great so far.

Loads of potential there.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Subscribed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Looks like you've got an algae bloom. Oh wait, thats just the wall! j/k

It probably could use a nice black background.

Thanks a bunch yall!

So I have a plan to run by everyone and I'm trying to put together an amazing list of plants....

I'd like to lower the water down to ~1" over the substrate and plant the carpet/foreground. Once the carpet takes root while slightly emerged, I'll raise the water level, plant the midground and slightly emerge it, then continue on to the background. Thoughts on this process???

Also, I'm terrible at picking decor and styling! I put together this list a while back but it is variable at this point and I can't resist asking everyone's advice/suggestions on PlantedTank.

So what should I change/add to this list?? I'm only sold on the DHG Belem at this point. Please keep in mind that I'll be half swimming doing maintenance until I find some fairly long tongs and scissors.

Bartohog has an awesome list here if that helps: Bartohog's 300 species emerged

Background
Rotala Rotundifolia (Indicia) - pink/redish - long leaves stem
Cabomba Palaeformis - purple Cabomba, lush plant - thin
Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia - colorful plant
Proserpinaca Palustris - needle like weeds

Mid-Ground
ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS TROPICA, small sword - not on 300+ plantedtank list
Cryptocoryne spiralis, Very Easy, Great beginner Plant
Hygrophila Pinnafida - cool looking sparse cover
CRYPTOCORYNE WENDTII RED, Easy & Beautiful
GREEN CRYPTOCORYNE WENDTII , Easy beginner plant

Foreground - carpet
Eleocharis Belem (Dwarf Hair Grass Belem)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I wouldn't put the co2 reactor on the manifold and return to sump but rather on the return line to tank. Less gas-off that way.
I was actually thinking this over as well. The return line to the tank has the manifold on it for me to push water through the reactor, but I couldn't figure out a way to get the water to return directly back into that line, so I was just going to run a line deep into the sump near the return pump. How would I do it differently without buying another pump (not that that's out of the question if the gas-off is too crazy)?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Where is your return line to the tank? Is it separate than the manifold or just at the end of the manifold?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The return line to the tank is at either end of the manifold through two WYE Check Valves.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentoo9ball View Post
The return line to the tank is at either end of the manifold through two WYE Check Valves.
K put the reactor after one of the WYE.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Genius! That should work if I have enough room up there. Fingers crossed. Thank you!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 PM
Planted Member

Following along as well... Amazing setup and equipment on par with my reef tank!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentoo9ball View Post
Background
Rotala Rotundifolia (Indicia) - pink/redish - long leaves stem
Cabomba Palaeformis - purple Cabomba, lush plant - thin
Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia - colorful plant
Proserpinaca Palustris - needle like weeds

Mid-Ground
ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS TROPICA, small sword - not on 300+ plantedtank list
Cryptocoryne spiralis, Very Easy, Great beginner Plant
Hygrophila Pinnafida - cool looking sparse cover
CRYPTOCORYNE WENDTII RED, Easy & Beautiful
GREEN CRYPTOCORYNE WENDTII , Easy beginner plant

Foreground - carpet
Eleocharis Belem (Dwarf Hair Grass Belem)
My first thought is that some of those plants prefer low light, and some prefer very high light. Might be hard to please them all in the same tank.

And when it comes to plants, you can't predict now which ones will like what you provide. There is some trial and error involved. Some will thrive, some may not.

So while it's good to have a plan, rarely do the plants get the memo. And the reality is that most tanks are basically in a state of constant evolution. I know mine sure is. Plants are constantly being moved around the tank, new ones are added, others are removed.

The point is that's a nice starting point, but in my experience what you end up with over time might not resemble it much. And with 210 gallons to work with, my guess is that you will end up with a much more extensive list after you get going a bit.

Good luck with everything. Should be fun to follow.

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 05-23-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: typo
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Can't wait to see how your tank evolves! I'm still waiting to find a 180-220g tank to replace my 125g. LOL

If you have a way to figure out how to do the CO2 reactor without another pump that would be best, not liking two pumps sitting on top of one another in my sump at the moment. As you have outputs on the return line, you could tap off that and input it right before the sump pump, granted yes some of that CO2 water will go right back into the reactor. Or you could run it back into the tank on a small line right next to the tank return line.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dwarf Hairgrass (DHG) Belem is planted now... I'm raising the water up to just above the tips right now. Fingers crossed and they should fill in over the next couple weeks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180531_223159.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	858473  

Name:	IMG_20180531_115803.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	858481  

Name:	IMG_20180531_231821.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	858489  

Name:	IMG_20180531_231817.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	858497  

Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was going to suggest crypt parva or Marsilia Hirsuta for foreground. Easier to plant and not worry about starting emersed and then waiting and hoping for it to transition successfully. It's an option if you end up not liking the DHG. Second... the stem plants will require constant trimming and occassionally you will have to cuts the tops off and pull out all the bottoms and replant the tops as the bottom portions will look terrible. They will also put out arial roots all over. A background of cypt balansae, a large crinum calastratum or large crypts such as cordata would look great and not require you to climb into the tank every 3 months or so. Look into the maintenance some of these guys with killer tanks full of stems do regularly... check out Greggz, Burr740, and immortals journals. You may be cool with that. Thats going to be alot more difficult in a tank that size. I'm sure it will look killer either way, but I like to warn people ahead of time. With some hardscape back there to elevate it, you could even get some large masses of needle leaf java fern going... that would look killer.
I'm a huge fan of crypts, anubias, and ferns.... oh... what about bolbitus?? That would reach the top and it's a gorgeous plant.. somewhat slow growing and I literally stick my hand into the tank daily to shake them up so that detritus and stuff doesn't accumulate on the fronds leading to BBA. Just tossing some other ideas out there for you
Any thoughts on livestock? Do you have a QT tank?

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode