100 gallon Li River Valley Inspired tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
100 gallon Li River Valley Inspired tank

Hi guys, new to the forum. I've been working on planted tanks for a while now, albeit with not the best success. I just picked up a 100 gallon and wanted to build my first "aquascaped" style tank inspired by the Li River Valley. basically I wanted to give the effect that the tank was a river surrounded by giant mountains covered in "trees". Below is a sketch of what I have in mind and more pics of the actual Li River Valley. Please give me some advice on maybe a species of plant to grow on the "mountains" and maybe some advice on what rocks would look closest to those mountains. Thanks!

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/a...3DDSC_3336.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

Cypress knees covered with moss would look like the distant mountains.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Interesting suggestion as I was originally planning to use rocks. Do you have any idea what the effect of the cypress knees would have on the tank? i.e. Does it rot, etc.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd suggest spending some time trolling through the AGA aquascaping contest. They ususally list the plants used, sometimes even with diagrams. That way you can find the effect you want and work from there.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^They even post their materials used, though sometimes it's just, "rocks" or "driftwood"

This sounds like an awesome idea!!!!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Easiest thing to do is start with fern, mosses and crypts. Crypts need good circulation and iron. Can get API root tabs to supply it here with no shipping cost. Glue moss with super gell on wood and you will have a tree.

Here Platinum uses moss. Read it was wrapped around wood and then material wrapped around the moss to keep in on the sticks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
When I saw the inspiration picture, I immediately thought of this tank from 2010 AGA:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...tegory=0&vol=3

-Charlie

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi guys, Thanks for all the feedback! I was wondering if there was also a way to get notifications when people respond to my thread???
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Charlie, that's a really pretty tank, but I was looking more for many more "larger" type mountains to ascertain the feeling of being in a deep valley. I'm still looking around, but looks like the amount of rocks I will need are rather significant. As for the foreground, in order to simulate a "river" I was thinking of leaving aquasoil with nothing growing on it, and bright sand on near the mountains to look like a beach.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode