CBG's Fluval Edge 6G SW FOWLR with 10G sump (Pic Heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
CBG's Fluval Edge 6G SW FOWLR with 10G sump (Pic Heavy)

So I decided to pick up a used Fluval Edge tank some time ago with the intent of making a small SW tank as a test run to see if I enjoy marine setups. I have seen some nice examples on the net and figured I would give it a shot so I started researching a bit.. I knew that small water volumes in SW are generally hard to start/keep especially when you are a SW newb like I am so I decided to make a sump and over flow system. After a month or so I found a few examples and came across a really nice set up by a fellow member (Thanks for your input Cale262!) and decided to follow his innovation and maybe work in a couple of my own minor improvements. Also shout out to MlDukes for inspiring me with his SW Edge tank! I will eventually be putting these modifications onto my planted Fluval Edge CRS tank just so I can get more water volume for the shrimps and hide equipment amongst the other advantages to having an overflow and sump.

Last edited by CGY_Betta_Guy; 09-30-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: now a 10 G sump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20101201 - First thing after doing some research was to go out and find some acrylic sheet in order for me to fabricate my own custom overflow box. Finally located some black acrylic and also got my hands on some black silicon so that the overflow would not be so noticeable when seen from the display side of the tank.

20101205 - After doing lots of measuring I proceeded to make a cardboard mock up of what my over flow box would look like and the dimensions of the box I would need. After doing this I proceeded to cut the inner panel of the Fluval Edge rear tower which normally houses the filtration. Here is a quick pic after doing a couple table saw cuts to the dimensions needed for my custom over flow.

20101209 After getting that done I did a quick layout of where on the back of the Edge tank that the overflow box would sit and also constructed the overflow box. This required using some methylene chloride to acrylic weld the parts together. The resulting box was made and then used to dry fit onto the back of the tank. Now knowing the limits of where the box was going to be situated I proceeded to use a 1/4" drill bit to drill holes into the acrylic rim of the Fluval edge and dry fit the overflow box onto the back.

Side shot of overflow box - notice the slight jog of about 1/8" on the sides of the overflow box where it goes from glass to the plastic rim... fun cutting that on the table saw....

Here it is after applying the silicon. Instead of drawing on the tank with marker I used scotch tape on inside of the tank to mark where the silicon lines were going to be.

close up of inner edge between Fluval edge and the over flow. 1/4" drilled holes for the overflow and black silicon application between the overflow holes and inside lip of the overflow box.

20101213 - A quick pic of my sump build. This was made in a 5G tank. Total water volume increase over the display tank would be approximately 4 Gallons. In case of power outage the amount of siphoned water from the display tank would not over flow my sump.

20101214 - To make sure my acrylic weld would hold I reattached the bulkheads and did a quick test of the sump.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20101224 - One of the biggest complaints I have with the Fluval Edge in Calgary (being such a dry city for most of the year) is that water evaporation occurs at a very high rate. So I decided that I needed a solution to prevent such heavy evaporation from this SW tank. The solution I came up with protects my MR16 LED light bulbs from the salt water while also reducing the amount of evaporation that would occur from the tank. This is constructed from acrylic and a chunk of glass cut on a wet tile saw to fit inside the open mouth of the Fluval Edge tank.

This is attached to the existing arm in the tank and utilizes screws which go into nylon center nuts epoxied into the arm so that I can detach and reattach the lid at will.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20101224 Here it is after adding salt and live sand. Both salt and live sand caused the water to look extremely cloudy but cleared up quite quickly. In this pic you can also see (sorta) that the glass on my custom cover hovers about 2mm above the water level as it goes into the overflow.

20101226 - Went out on boxing day and picked up 8 lbs of live rock on sale.

20101228 - Another quick look at the overflow box. I had made a small cover in order to reduce the amount of evaporation from the overflow.

20101228 - set up complete with a "herbie" setup to reduce the noise coming from the overflow box. At this point I still needed to go out and find a 2" hole saw bit so that I could cut out a hole for the skimmer cup to poke out of the sump lid. I still need to get to organizing the wiring. Pump is a Maxijet 900 rated at 230 GPH.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20101230 - My 2 Edge tanks side by side

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20110106 - added some critters
Spiny Astrea snail

Blue legged hermit crab - about .5 cm long and bit out of focus due to shooting at an angle through the glass

Trochus Snails

Nassarius Snails - Periscope up! - what I usually see of the Nassarius Snails

rare view of one of them zooming to a new location

20110107 some sort of macro algae growing

and a view of the chiton I found on the rock

20110113 - added another 7 lbs of live rock to the sump so I am up to about 15 lbs of LR in water volume of about 9G. Dont know why I bought so much as my sump is totally filled and there is really no room. I ended up breaking up the one big hunk I bought into about 4 smaller chunks so it would fit in the different compartments. Is there such a thing as too much? This pic also shows the installation of the skimmer cup for the Tunze Nano 9002 skimmer through the acrylic lid.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20110118 - added a peppermint shrimp to start work on the apistasia but have yet to see any noticeable dent in the population and might add another soon.

20110123 - Found this hairy little crab grazing on the purple stuff on the top of my live rock after turning on the lights. Would estimate his body is about half a cm wide at most.

20110123 - Bubble Algae?

20110124 - Most recent FTS with the change to a black spray bar that is split and shoots some jets down towards the sand and some along the top glass. The small hole I made to break siphon in case of power outage (just below where the green tubing connects to the spray bar) gently agitates the water at the opening making the light shining through shimmer a bit and also doesnt allow the water level to get below the glass top.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Really awesome what you've done, especially with the sump. And what's also great is the fact that you have hidden everything in the cabinet and have improved the tank's function without sacrificing the design and look of the tank itself. Nice job. -el g

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Joe's Juice works great for the aiptasia.

I tried many things, and the only thing that worked for me was Joe's~

75G

ADA 60P and Mini-M (shut down)

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks good!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone up for more pictures?

20110124 - Red Fire shrimp - really like the pop of red in the tank!

purple fire fish

peppermint shrimp

pretty excited to have found this little circular shaped guy with the greenish specs in the center moving around the tank, the previous day it was on the glass and couldnt get a good shot. Now I can see a bit of color on it. Any ideas as to what it is?

20110127 - New arrangement for the LR - brought a chunk out from the sump

From Alberta Canada? Come join us at
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20110808 - Its been a very busy number of months for me and unfortunately maintenance on my tanks(especially this one) took a bit of a back seat. Now I have a renewed desire to get back at it since summer is pretty much going to end soon.

After months of removing clumps of the below growths I decided to leave it to grow and see what happens. I still dont know what to do about what this stuff is and still am not really sure what each of the growths is. If anyone can help me identify this stuff and tell me whether its good or bad that would be great. I guess its all bad and I think its about time to try and cure those live rock or replace them unless someone has a better idea.

This stuff is growing out of the joint between the elbow and the spray bar and has spread to another chunk of live rock too.

I had been fighting bubble algae for the first couple months... this is the only spot left in the tank

My fish havent seemed to mind too much.

Quite happy with the sump setup, I have very slow evaporation and the skimmer doesnt take out too much liquid each week.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now with 10 Gallon sump!

sumped out

Close up. The plan now is to move the macro algae growths into the sump and start looking into putting in some corals. Time for more research.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update after moving the macro algae to the sump

using red and blue LED grow light panel to see how the macro algae will grow

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
nice job! i like it without the macro algae!

whats your stock list?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode