PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluffhead 90P SPACE ODYSSEY (PICS)

TANK: Landen 90P
LIGHTS: ATLEDTIS PRO-1 with Ultum Nature Systems hanging kit
STAND: DIY ADA Style Custom Modified
FILTER: Eheim Professional 4+ 600
CO2 Regulator: Custom Alan Le Stainless Steel Dual Stage Concoa Regulator
SUBSTRATE: ADA Aquasoil (Normal Type)

Hi everyone! First off, thanks to all the community members around here who are so helpful to our little hobby and for just being plain awesome. It makes our planted tank and other aquatic circle feel damn good.

A little bit about myself. I was active on this forum and other forums (like SCAPE, ShrimpSpot, etc) a few years back. Then life happens and you get out of the hobby for a while (Iím sure many of you relate). BUT as fate has determined, my previous tank was not to be my last. So here we are - Iím in the process of planning and gathering materials for my next tank.

Note: Please excuse me if I tend to ramble - I actually want to use this journal guide as... a journal. I want to get my thoughts and progress written down in this small corner of the internet with hopes that I may be able to look upon this years in the future to reflect on my successes and failures. And to glimpse into my mind at the current state.

Here we go, a little bit about my past time in the hobby:

I started my aquarium and planted tank journey in Los Angeles. I lived within a mile of Nature Aquarium - Iím sure many of you know about it. I had never had a fish tank in my life (though I have fond memories of my dad working on his fish tank) but was curious about this shop and wandered in... and met Toru, the owner and proprietor of Nature Aquarium.

After seeing planted tanks for the first time in his shop, I was hooked. I wanted no, needed) to have my own tank. With his guidance and advice, I dove headfirst into the planted world. I learned about Takashi Amano, but more importantly, I learned about his philosophy of the Nature Aquarium, of the aquascape, of Wabi-Kusa. Never had I been exposed to such delightful ideas about art, nature, and beauty. So in essence, I skipped betas in a bowl, goldfish, and all the other aquarium niches - and went straight to natural aquariums.

My first tank was a modest ADA 45P. I never realized before that rimless tanks existed. The beauty in the simplicity of the design really drew me in. The fact that the borders of the aquarium were so slight to the outside world was fascinating. No black rims here, boys and girls, just glass - pure glass. (Itís no knock to rimmed aquariums, but the aesthetic influenced me more than I thought it would.) The 45P was filled to brim with just about every type of plant I could fit in it. There was no plan, no idea. It was all about the jungle.

I probably gave Toru more money than I care to admit. I was addicted. Sometimes, I stopped in his shop every day for a week - I talked to him first about how to cycle a tank. Then conversations progressed: how do you achieve the beauty in your tank? What types of fishes are best for a community tank? How many water changes should I do and what %? I didnít know about this planted tank community very well online, but found great joy in discussing these things with him.

That 45P was very successful. High-tech with paintball C02 - no algae or any other major issues. Plants grew to the point when I had to throw them in the trash (and felt very bad about it). Then naturally, I progressed to shrimp-keeping and breeding Taiwan Bee shrimp.

Time goes on and I move out of LA. With the move, I tore down my tanks - but shipped my 45P to my new location. I still have it now.

Now that I got all that history behind me, letís talk about the new build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.

Last edited by Fluffhead; 05-29-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Updated 5/12/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

THE JOURNEY THROUGH SPACE AND TIME

After having no aquariums for about a year, I started to miss having the beauty of the tank in my house. So here we are, ready to plan out the next build.

From the get-go, I knew that I would want a rimless tank. So the big question is... do I go ADA? Of course I know I would never be disappointed with an ADA tank. But my wallet would be. I had seen the Landenís pop up here and there, so I decided I would try them for this build. The difference between an ADA 90P and Landen 90P was about $275 (with all shipping and handling charges included). Not killer, but enough to make me think about it.

As for the size, I wanted something big but not too big - 90P it is. The 120P will have to be reserved for another day further down the timeline.

Tank: Landen 90P - Check.

Stand:

Now onto the stand - I knew this would be a problem to tackle. ADA Stands are pretty much out of the question. Over $1100 for a stand (not including freight)! Ready built stands...well, they donít fit ADAs well and generally arenít of great quality or aesthetic. So DIY it is - Iíve never done any woodworking of any sort. I knew this would be a journey in itself.

Next post: Building the 90P Stand DIY

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

90P Stand DIY

With no woodworking experience, this step in the tanks journey leads me to a detour. A trip down learning the basics of woodworking.

Trips to Loweís and Home Depot. Buying tools I didnít have. Figuring out dimensions - converting inches to millimeters and back again sure does make me wish we used the metric system!

I started building this tank about a week ago. First, getting materials - two sheets of 8í x 4í oak veneer plywood. Pretty much the nicest stuff at Lowes.

Next, I cut out the pieces according to my cut plans. Because this is my first wood working project, I decided to make the top a round number = 36Ē x 18Ē. It wonít be a perfect fit like it is on the original ADA stand, but itís close enough for me. Plus working with the even numbers makes it seem easier to me... maybe itís just in my head.

Cabinet joinery: After some deliberation, I decided to use glue and finishing nails for the butt joints on this project. No biscuit joiners, no pocket holes, etc. Also no screws. I donít plan to laminate the top with Formica like many plans show. I want to see the wood grain. It will be more work, but hopefully it pays off. Weíll see!

Hereís a shot of the plywood ready to cut:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	853170

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sides glued to the top and top brace:

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now the back glued (and nailed) to the rest of the cabinet:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	853178

My novice woodworking skills are showing here... A cut wasnít completely square so there was a small gap in the corner. Filled it in with wood putty.

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Forgot to post this:

I used these plans I found on a different forum as a guide. I made a few modifications but if someone out there wants to DIY a 90P stand, this is a good place to start. Credit to the original gentleman who drew these plans up and posted them for future hobbyists to use!

I want my tank to stand a little higher than whatís indicated in the drawing. I decided to go for 32Ē high. I flirted with the idea of going 36Ē high - that would put the top of the tank at just about my armpit. I was a little concerned it would take some more effort to do maintenance in the back of the tank. Weíll see how this stand turns out and Iíll adjust accordingly for future builds.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got my filter today! Iíll be going with an Eheim Pro 4+ 600. In terms of canister filters, Iíve only ever used Eheim. Never had an issue with them so another Eheim it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Landen 90P TANK also got here today. Came packaged nicely in a wooden crate. I havenít opened it yet but will be soon so Iíll get pictures once that happens. Iím excited to check out how the Landen compares to my ADA tanks. Will definitely give a run down for everyone.

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today was a big day - my lights also arrived! Iím going with two Kessil 360WE Tuna Suns with goosenecks + 90 degree adapters for mounting. Iíve always enjoyed the Kessil pendant aesthetic and two units for a 90P should be way more light than I need. Most likely Iíll be running them at less than 75% or even lower.

One big draw with the Kessil system is the ability to use the controller and set the lights to auto ramp up and auto dim during the day. I wish the ADA Solar RGB was dimmable... itís a shame that light doesnít have that feature. Iím also a fan of the shimmer effect.

I also scored a great deal for the whole set so it was a no brainer. If they donít end up working out, I would switch to the ATLEDTIS PRO-1. I like the aesthetic of those plus they can dim. Too bad they canít autodim though.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Currently trying to finish building the stand. Itís definitely taking longer than anticipated since I can only work on it after my job. Then I have to stop when it gets dark since power tools are loud, and I donít want to drive my neighbors crazy.

One step at a time! Iím starting to see the day when I can fill the tank!

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man, I have never seen this build, Iím exited . The shimmer on the kessil is unreal, I love it. Iím curious at if you could elaborate a little more on how you build the stand. Iím in the super beginning stages of building my own for a 120-P. And did I miss it? Is this gonna be high tech or low tech? - Skye
Fluffhead and Fluffhead like this.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Man, I have never seen this build, Iím exited . The shimmer on the kessil is unreal, I love it. Iím curious at if you could elaborate a little more on how you build the stand. Iím in the super beginning stages of building my own for a 120-P. And did I miss it? Is this gonna be high tech or low tech? - Skye

I just started building the stand about two weeks ago and during that time Iíve ordered a bunch of stuff for the tank

You can use the cut plans I posted and scale them up to the 120P size! Plywood in the USA is labeled 3/4Ē but is actually usually closer to 18mm like the plans assume.

The style of cabinet Iím building (ADA style) is called Euro style, as opposed to full frame style. Euro style doesnít use an internal frame covered with plywood, instead the plywood acts as the frame. You can look up basics of cabinets, Euro vs full frame. With a 120P, I would consider looking into building a frame due to the larger size. Euro might work but I havenít looked at the official ADA stand to see how they do their 120P. Of course you can adjust and customize the plans to your liking.

My tank will definitely be high tech! Iíve got a dual stage stainless steel CO2 regulator from Alan Le on the way to my house

Feel free to ask me any specific questions. Iíll be working on my stand build more today and tomorrow so Iíll try to post more pictures so you can see the process!

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Fluff went to Alan Le, lookin for a reg
Alan Le said, "I got that", And it ain't one from a keg!

Looks like an awesome build in the making, subbing to this one my phriend

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Fluff went to Alan Le, lookin for a reg

Alan Le said, "I got that", And it ain't one from a keg!

Looks like an awesome build in the making, subbing to this one my phriend

My phriend, my phriend, you got a knife???

Glad youíre subbed here and staying - means youíre not a runaway Jim

KayakJimW and KayakJimW like this.

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nah, I just come from the North where the oceans freeze, haha good stuff

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode