looking to start new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
looking to start new tank

ok im looking to get or build a large tank im thinking 150 or better got a couple of leads but im thinking it be cheaper and faster to just build my new tank my new tank will be 48 in long by 36 in wide by 30 in deep
now a few questions i have are what to do with lighting the tank any sugestions you guys have im open to them looking for cheap but i want to have good lighting and im prolly going to do co2 for fauna im thinking some discus and some angels not sure what else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbrown View Post
ok im looking to get or build a large tank im thinking 150 or better got a couple of leads but im thinking it be cheaper and faster to just build my new tank my new tank will be 48 in long by 36 in wide by 30 in deep
now a few questions i have are what to do with lighting the tank any sugestions you guys have im open to them looking for cheap but i want to have good lighting and im prolly going to do co2 for fauna im thinking some discus and some angels not sure what else
30 inches deep is going to be hard to light properly without going HQI/metal halide, definitely not cheap, and it's going to be a bit difficult to scape having to reach all the way down ~28+ inches to do anything at the bottom. I would reconsider this if you're making the tank. There's plenty of cheaper(comparitively) options for a tank that's shorter, like ~18-20" deep.

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ive thought very long and hard and with 3-4 inches of substate that bring the depth to 26-27 inches that i can reach with no problem

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

would 2 4 bulb 54watt t5ho or 4 4 bulb 39watt t5ho be enough light to grow med-high light plants
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I'd think so, CatalinaAquarium makes 8 bulb t5ho fixtures as well as the 4 and the 2, but the one fixture should do ya with nice reflectors, they'll custom make it however you want, switches and all for cheap comparitively ^^

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

what would be good plants for a discus tank i dont know a whole lot about plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode