240gal low tech tank reboot - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
240gal low tech tank reboot

I'm finally starting a journal, shifting over here from the thread below.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?t=1254617

I have completely shifted gears, am now trying to do a low-tech tank with much advice from Tyler at Liquid Gardens who is amazing. Currently running 4x 50w LED floods, ordered a 5th for better coverage. I'm also considering adding 3x 100w LED floods, we'll see how the 5th works. The tank is 8 ft long, so coverage is an issue.

The before is the first pic, lots of algae and nastiness. After a LOT of scrubbing (still haven't re-installed the hardscape, needs more scrubbing and peroxide) and a ton of new plants, we have much improvement! Still a ways to go, struggling with RO vs tap (need to do some plumbing to avoid water softener) . It's getting there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180422_002738_1525152206800.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	851361  

Name:	20180430_173342_1525152403194.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	851369  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

On another note, I have decided I really like rainbows. I learned in this site that they take awhile to mature, which explains why I've never been impressed with the ones in the store but love them in other people's tanks! Anyone know what kind this guy is? The picture doesn't do him justice .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180430_214823_1525155212791.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	851377  

Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDamico View Post
On another note, I have decided I really like rainbows. I learned in this site that they take awhile to mature, which explains why I've never been impressed with the ones in the store but love them in other people's tanks! Anyone know what kind this guy is? The picture doesn't do him justice .
Hard to be sure from that picture, but most likely either Millennium (Glossolepis Pseudoincisus) or Irian (Glossolepis incisus). They are very similar at that size. A fully grown adult male Irian is one of the largest Rainbows at about 6". Millennium might get to 4".

Is he bright red like the one below? That is a Millennium. Or is it more of a rusty red? Either way, going to a nice mature fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 05-02-2018 at 01:49 AM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was hoping you would respond Greggz! I cant open your picture though. It says blocked. He's more dark red/rusty, and almost shiny gold when the light hits him just right
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Looks more like the Irian in photos I see online. The millennium also sounds more rare? I think it's also less likely then, since I'm pretty sure I got him at Petsmart 😂
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I was hoping you would respond Greggz! I cant open your picture though. It says blocked. He's more dark red/rusty, and almost shiny gold when the light hits him just right
Dark red/rusty most likely Irian. Millenniums are generally a brighter red with silver scale highlights.

And yes, PetSmart usually just calls them Red Rainbows, and they are Irians.

Were you able to open my picture? Just curious why it was blocked.

------------------
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, cant open it. I don't know why. Its greyed out and says blocked
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Where does one find the less common rainbows? Ask LFS to find some? Order online? I dont usually see them around here
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just noticed something Greggz, I can't see photos in any of your posts. I wonder why that is? Other people can obviously see them, since they are commenting. This is a real bummer, I was checking out your tank journal and can't see it!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

must be something with my phone. I just checked on a computer and I could see them Greggz. Weird.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:46 AM

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@HDamico
'Tyler from Liquid Gardens' and I thought "Hey I know a Tyler from Liquid Gardens"

=D Make sure to search for MN Planted Tank Aquatics group on FB if you're on FB.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Greggz hasnt said it yet, but if possible get your Rainbows from a quality source. The difference between a quality rainbow and some of say Petsmart stock is night and day. Since you are in Mn you could consider Wetspot. Or there are breeders on Aquabid with amazing Rainbows. They are not all the same (depending on source). Get with Greggz on his sources and order them. You will be happy you did. I got lucky with my Bosemani, but they aren't fantastic... my Goyder Reds are a flop. My other Rainbows however are pretty amazing. In a 240 you can create an incredible community.
Also... in case you were considering it... C02 is worth it's weight in gold. Without it, your plant choices will be reduced drastically and growth will be slow... not good slow... bad slow where algae is always an issue.
Take your time looking at rainbows and choose what you like. My 75 gallon has rainbows.
4 Kamaka
2 Yellow (herbertaxelrodi)
2 Bosemani
2 Millenium
2 Maculloch's
2 Goyder River (poor breeding)
2 Dorityi (awesome!)

Twin high tech 75's -
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That group is where I found Tyler swarley😁 it's a great resource!

Thanks TheDude1, I will check out rainbows from those sources! I am considering co2, but haven't jumped yet. I'm noticing a bit of algae on the substrate already though, so I'm concerned. I am using dry ferts for now (from liquid gardens) and monitoring closely. May end up with co2 in the end anyway.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Where does one find the less common rainbows? Ask LFS to find some? Order online? I dont usually see them around here
The Dude1 is right, high quality stock is worth the extra effort.

Some over bred species from fish farms, like Goyder Rivers, can barely resemble well bred ones. Same with Boesemani. Good quality ones deep blue and orange, poor quality gray and yellow.

I talk about this in my journal, link below. Be sure to continue on to page 59 of the journal, as I list some breeders you can contact. And then on page 60, there are many pics of the Bows that I keep. Don't be afraid to ask about lineage, it does make a difference.

Good luck, and please reach out with any questions you may have. I am happy to help if I can.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...4-14-a-57.html
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 05-04-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: type

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode