Johnson18ís ADA 60-F Nano Reef - The Planted Tank Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Johnson18ís ADA 60-F Nano Reef

Yeah, yeah, yeah..... I know itís a plant forum, but ya know what?! Itís it only forum I use anymore so you get my reef journal.

Tank: ADA 60-F
60cm x 30cm x 18cm = 24Ēx12Ēx7Ē
8.6gal

Filtration: Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10QD

And live rock

Lights: two dual bulb T5HO fixtures
The bulbs to start are: ATI Coral Plus, ATI Purple Plus, Giesemann Aquablue Azure, Giesemann Super Actinic

These might change as things progress.

The plan is to keep things simple, zoas, acans, mushrooms, some small goby, and a clean up crew.

I made three rocks, might just use two.

Iím now about to glue a piece of live rock onto the dry rock. Mix up my substrate and fill it up with water out of my local SW stores tank to help kick start the cycle.

More to come soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
iwagumi saltwater. nice. try growing some saltwater plants.

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lol, definitely wouldnít consider this iwagumi, just the start of a nano reef. I went with the two rocks. Attached a nice chuck of the live rock to the side of one. Since I donít yet have the MP10, I threw. Cheap Nat Geo. HOB onto it, which is definitely not enough water movement but itíll do for a few days. Iím certainly not trying to rush anything though. If I let it cycle for a few months thatís fine with me. Iíve got a couple friends with a huge amount of experience with saltwater aquariums that are helping guide me through this journey.

You can see the nice coralline algae covered piece of live rock on the pice on the left side.

While it is still pretty cloudy, it is slowly clearing up.

My lighting may end up changing, as Iíve got a friend who used to work for BML that thinks she might have a barely used saltwater fixture. I might use that exclusively or as a combo with the T5HO fixtures.

So my end goal is a fairly simple nano reef. Iíve been thinking about doing one for a while but havenít been sure as to how I wanted to go about so it. Here are a couple examples of ADA 60-F nano reefs which really got me focused on the 60-F for my nano reef tank.

Nlewis, Nlewis, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

RAOK Club #24

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Awesome!! I was just talking to some guys at the big LFS near me about doing the same thing. Im afraid to head down that rabbit hole right now. That stuff is BIG money... and the corals grow so slowly.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Awesome!! I was just talking to some guys at the big LFS near me about doing the same thing. Im afraid to head down that rabbit hole right now. That stuff is BIG money... and the corals grow so slowly.

On the nano tanks, it DOESNíT HAVE to be big money. Iím using fixtures I already own. Yes Iím buying bulbs, BUT I couldíve gone with two bulb and been just fine. Iím also going for quite high quality bulbs. There are a lot of bulbs that are fairly close to the same for less. My biggest expense is the Vortech MP10, there are a huge number of power heads that do the same this for less. My local sw stores donít even stock the Ecotech Marine line, though they can get them. I have, of course, ordered EVERYTHING from my normal freshwater planted tank focused store, Arizona Nature Aquatics. Ben has always treated me well & so I want to give him my business, rather than randomly selecting one of the three local SW stores. Although, Iím already working to build those relationships, they just arenít there yet. So ANA gets my business! Yeah, corals grow slow but Iím also passionate about Aroids like Crypts, Buce, Lags & such, which means my [censored][censored][censored][censored] grows slowly anyways!!

Iím looking forward to the adventure to come. I love learning new stuff!

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

RAOK Club #24
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Saltwater reefs aquariums are awesome and I love the nano ones. The only downside is the amount of time/care they require. Especially with mixing water and maintaining a consistent salinity. However, if you have the time, it is well worth it.
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

Tank Journal -
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My 150 was originally a reef tank with its prior owner. Came with all kinds of equipment including the Vortech marine pumps that magnetically attach. Also had an octopus HOB thing... UV sterilizer... ended up tossing it all before I realized the use of each piece...
I was told that one type of coral was easier (soft maybe) where as others are very difficult (hard corals) and what about anemones? It's always good to have ideas.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Saltwater reefs aquariums are awesome and I love the nano ones. The only downside is the amount of time/care they require. Especially with mixing water and maintaining a consistent salinity. However, if you have the time, it is well worth it.

Iím fairly sure that a quality refractometer is most definitely a necessity. The plan is to do weekly water changes. It will almost certainly require RODI top offs daily or every other day. With a tank of this size, I donít see this being a huge issue. One of my friends with a huge amount of saltwater experience has suggested that I set up a simple auto top off system. When he shares the way the system is set up, Iíll share it here as well. Iíve not yet decided if I want to do this. Once I see the set up Iíll consider the advantages and the cost involved.

RAOK Club #24
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Put a mangrove in, then it's a planted tank.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrien.molvig View Post
Put a mangrove in, then it's a planted tank.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I love mangroves, if I can find the right species, I definitely will toss one in. If not, itíll go into the 2.5g Hawaiian Red Shrimp, ʻōpaeʻula, Halocaridina rubra tank that Iím going to be setting up soon.

RAOK Club #24
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've seen you talking about it on that other list and now get to see it set up. Woo!
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
I've seen you talking about it on that other list and now get to see it set up. Woo!

The group chat is great but Iím also losing my place. Lol. Yeah, this will definitely be more of a complete look.

RAOK Club #24
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Water has finally cleared up. I havenít put any light over it yet though.

The roses are just beautiful, from a campus rose garden on the U of A.

sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.

RAOK Club #24
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What kind of mangroves? We have red, white, and black all around our STEM campus (it's on the bay). I don't see any of those being suitable for a tank though.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Johnson18ís ADA 60-F Nano Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
What kind of mangroves? We have red, white, and black all around our STEM campus (it's on the bay). I don't see any of those being suitable for a tank though.

I believe the black mangrove is what I used in my freshwater riparium. You get them when theyíre small and trim them down sort of as you would a bonsai. @hydrophyte has some great shots of them in his different set ups. People mostly start with the propagule. Here is a shot of one, that is not mine.

Iím super jealous that your campus is on a bay. Got any good pics?

The tank this morning. Thereís one little chuck of a super cool looking macro algae.

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

RAOK Club #24

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode