32 Biocube Tibee/CRS Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By dmattbfan5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (83/100%)
32 Biocube Tibee/CRS Tank

I was in the hobby for years and had successful PFR, Tangerine Tiger, Yellow, and Red Rili colonies. I broke down all of my tanks in 2015 and got out. This year I finally made time and room to start a new tank. Unfortunately I don't have the room in my new house to have racks of breeding tanks, so I've decided to put all of my focus in to keeping shrimp I could never afford to have before. I set up this 32 gallon Biocube in January and am finally getting to the point of posting this journal. I have read in so many places that Biocubes are no good for breeding shrimp because of the built in filtration system. Well... I got a little creative and found a material to act as a pre-filter of sorts. In my old tanks I always ran Eheim canisters with sponges over the intake. In this Biocube, there are 2 square areas of slots that are intakes for the filtration system. I went to Wally World and found a black Thule material similar to what would be found under a wedding dress to create that fluffy appearance. I cut it to size, doubled it up, and took aquarium grade silicone to the square areas. The mesh is breatheable enough to allow perfect filtration of the water, and is small enough to keep baby shrimp out of the filter. I got a shipment of 35 SS-SSS+ CRS, 4 Black Belly Pintos, and 4 Blue bolts. I also have 2 Amanos. Hope you enjoy!

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day… Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day…

Last edited by dmattbfan5; 05-18-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattbfan5 View Post
I was in the hobby for years and had successful PFR, Tangerine Tiger, Yellow, and Red Rili colonies. I broke down all of my tanks in 2015 and got out. This year I finally made time and room to start a new tank. Unfortunately I don't have the room in my new house to have racks of breeding tanks, so I've decided to put all of my focus in to keeping shrimp I could never afford to have before. I set up this 32 gallon Biocube in January and am finally getting to the point of posting this journal. I have read in so many places that Biocubes are no good for breeding shrimp because of the built in filtration system. Well... I got a little creative and found a material to act as a pre-filter of sorts. In my old tanks I always ran Eheim canisters with sponges over the intake. In this Biocube, there are 2 square areas of slots that are intakes for the filtration system. I went to Wally World and found a black Thule material similar to what would be found under a wedding dress to create that fluffy appearance. I cut it to size, doubled it up, and took aquarium grade silicone to the square areas. The mesh is breatheable enough to allow perfect filtration of the water, and is small enough to keep baby shrimp out of the filter. I got a shipment of 35 SS-SSS+ CRS, 4 Black Belly Pintos, and 4 Blue bolts. I also have 2 Amanos. Hope you enjoy!
Pics?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can't figure out how to get photos posted??? I used to use photobucket to upload to and then copy the links but none of them work anymore. Does anyone want to share another site that works for uploading photos?

Thanks!
Nathan

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day… Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day…

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I can't figure out how to get photos posted??? I used to use photobucket to upload to and then copy the links but none of them work anymore. Does anyone want to share another site that works for uploading photos?

Thanks!
Nathan
Imgur is what I use now

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Updated photos

Ok, I finally figured out how to use Imgur to host my photos. So here are some updates on it:

This is prior to fill up about 4 weeks ago.

Bump:

Bump:

Bump: So I got a package of 35 CRS shrimp and didn't realize they will cross breed with the Blue Bolts and BKKs making mischlings. (I mentioned I've been out of the hobby for years. These shrimp were almost impossible to find when I was in, so I didn't understand the genetics). I've sold all of my CRS and now have Red Wines in their place.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Algae Grower

Great looking tank! Your plants look fantastic, especially the A. reineckii. I saw in another post of yours that you're not fertilizing the water column and was curious if you had a word or two about how your tank is so algae-free without regular dosing. You're using light high enough to obtain the deep red on the AR, and I guess I have always been under the impression that you need to dose water column ferts in that case or would be overrun with algae. Do you attribute that to the substrate and CO2?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm trying to learn about the genetics now... I know genetics, just not what the names relate to. Is it Taiwan Bees that throw off all kinds?? Blue Bolts, BKK's, etc? I've never had luck with cardinia. I've always used tap though. Are you using reconstituted RO? How much of whatever booster are you using? I've got a buddy that may hook me up with some Taiwan Bees. I want to try with them before I try with the OEBT's that I've failed with three times...

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great question! I have had some algea growth crop up and I've been able to fend it off in 3 different ways. First is I cut down my photo period quite a bit. At first my wife wanted to see the tank all day while I was at work so I had it on from 8am to 8pm (I knew I'd get algea, but if you've been married you'll understand). I wanted to get to see the tank at night after work, so I completely switched the time for light to 5pm-10. This is still offering good growth and color without ferts. The second thing I did was I increased the C02 from 2bps to 4 bps. I started by going to 3 and noticed the pH didn't change at all with that increase, and my drop checker was still slightly blue. At 4 bps the drop checker is lime green. The 3rd thing I did was I bought 4 nerite snails. They have been the biggest contributor to removal of algea as they feed almost 24 hours a day on the glass and just cruise around cleaning it.

I thought of starting fertilizers, but I've invested over $1000 so far including everything in the tank and at this point am waiting to make a little money back on shrimp once they start breeding. After some money is coming back in I plan to buy ferts over time. Thanks for the question!

Nathan

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab395 View Post
Great looking tank! Your plants look fantastic, especially the A. reineckii. I saw in another post of yours that you're not fertilizing the water column and was curious if you had a word or two about how your tank is so algae-free without regular dosing. You're using light high enough to obtain the deep red on the AR, and I guess I have always been under the impression that you need to dose water column ferts in that case or would be overrun with algae. Do you attribute that to the substrate and CO2?

Great question! I have had some algea growth crop up and I've been able to fend it off in 3 different ways. First is I cut down my photo period quite a bit. At first my wife wanted to see the tank all day while I was at work so I had it on from 8am to 8pm (I knew I'd get algea, but if you've been married you'll understand). I wanted to get to see the tank at night after work, so I completely switched the time for light to 5pm-10. This is still offering good growth and color without ferts. The second thing I did was I increased the C02 from 2bps to 4 bps. I started by going to 3 and noticed the pH didn't change at all with that increase, and my drop checker was still slightly blue. At 4 bps the drop checker is lime green. The 3rd thing I did was I bought 4 nerite snails. They have been the biggest contributor to removal of algea as they feed almost 24 hours a day on the glass and just cruise around cleaning it.

I thought of starting fertilizers, but I've invested over $1000 so far including everything in the tank and at this point am waiting to make a little money back on shrimp once they start breeding. After some money is coming back in I plan to buy ferts over time. Thanks for the question!

Nathan

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I'm trying to learn about the genetics now... I know genetics, just not what the names relate to. Is it Taiwan Bees that throw off all kinds?? Blue Bolts, BKK's, etc? I've never had luck with cardinia. I've always used tap though. Are you using reconstituted RO? How much of whatever booster are you using? I've got a buddy that may hook me up with some Taiwan Bees. I want to try with them before I try with the OEBT's that I've failed with three times...

When I started in this hobby about 10 years ago, we only had like 10 variations of shrimp. Fire Reds and all of the different grades including Red Rili (I'm counting that as 1 color). Fire Yellows. Tangerine Tigers. OEBT. Wild Tigers. Crystal Reds and Crystal Blacks. Blue Bolts and Snow Whites. I got back in to this hobby this year and was blown away to see multiple shades of blue, green, pintos, galaxy pintos, wine reds, red bolts, fishbone patterns, etc. So I was dying to get a Taiwan Bee tank started in order to try breeding BKK's, Wine Reds, and Blue bolts. So far my wine reds, pintos, BKK's, and blue bolts are all breeding interchangeably. From all of my research, these different Taiwan Bees will produce any variation of themselves if crossed with one another. In other words.. BKK's and Wine Reds both carry the black gene. If bred together, I should be able to get some BKK's, some wine reds, possibly an RKK. It all depends on which genes are dominant or recessive in both parents. If you are really interested in researching genetics, purchase the Dennerle magazine called "Breeders and Keepers" SECOND EDITION. They go in to great detail about genetics and have scientific graphs and diagrams to help people understand it. I bought mine for $20 on amazon.

In terms of water, I never use tap for Taiwan Bees. When I was in to breeding years ago I used RO for my Neocaridina colonies. I didn't have the right soil to buffer though, and could never get CRS's to breed. I would see a baby here and there and they'd all die off and then the adults would disappear over time. They need RO water that is remineralized. I use Salty Shrimp GH+ and it works perfectly to remineralize the water. I just followed the guidelines on the bottle.

Best advice... If you want to do Taiwan Bees, do it right and it will save you time, money, and headache when you lose most of a colony. This is why I started this thread so people could see what Taiwan Bees need.

ADA Amazonia soil is a must.
Salty Shrimp GH+
C02 injected at 4bps
pH - 6.2-6.6 (achieved by using ADA Amazonia. Others like Fluval Shrimp stratum don't do this for you)
TDS - 159-180
GH - 5
KH - 0

I hope that helps. I've got about 8 berried Wine Red mommas right now. I'm dying to see the first babies. Will post photos once I see some.

Nathan

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I've got about 8 berried Wine Red mommas right now. I'm dying to see the first babies. Will post photos once I see some.
Just keep an eye out for them feeding in that giant flame moss(?) patch. Once you notice the first one, you'll start spotting them all over. They won't have much color at first and will be about 2-3 mm in length. Anyways, good luck. I look forward to the pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode