Tharsis' 10 Gallon 'Keebler Forest' - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Tharsis' 10 Gallon 'Keebler Forest'

I had a bit of spare time yesterday and was inspired while eating cookies with my kids. Here is my inspiration:

Here is the wood that I had to work with:

The 2.5 Gallon was too small unfortunately so I transferred it to a 10 gallon. I screwed to a piece of rock, screwed on some extra limbs, and added a bunch of Anubias to the to the top. The Anubias were provided from Digsy via a wonderful RAOK..thanks again!! The rest were put into my 75 gallon.

I added some marimo ball pieces and java moss along the cliff edge, and some dwarf sag in the back corner. Not sure what to do with the left side yet though.

I also added some anubias nana petite plantlets to the 'doorway' and along the cliff edge.

I am thinking that this will be a shrimp tank with a school of ottos to graze on the anubias leafs.

This tank has two 13 Watt CFL's in the hood and aluminum foil attached to the underside to help with reflection. i will likely dose excel semi-regularly and some ferts here and there, but i want this to be a very low maintenance tank. Hopefully the anubias will fill in and get nice and bushy.

Any suggestions for the left hand side would be greatly appreciated, i think i exhausted myself with making the tree and trying to attach the nana petites. By the time I got to the left hand side, i kind of lost my mojo. I was thinking of having a fallen tree/log or something on the other side with a rock pile of some sort...not sure yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Tenzo
Perhaps a glosso/moss carpet on the left side? :]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
whoa.. That's definately a very unique concept good job =)
I'd love to see updated pics once everything undergoes phototropism and orients itself towards the light. That anubias will definately make an interesting tree. Keep us posted =)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That looks so awesome!

Sabrina
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Cutest tank ever.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like it. What are you gonna use as elves???
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
More importantly, when's it going to begin producing cookies?? Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Seriously, it's great. I love the "tree."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Haha thanks guys I am very happy with how the tree turned out, I can't wait for it to start filling in more.

I think a field of glosso on the left side is a great idea, with some 'boulders' mixed in...i think i will give it a shot.

as for elves..are there any green shrimp? Perhaps I could fashion little hats and attach them to their heads.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
Haha thanks guys I am very happy with how the tree turned out, I can't wait for it to start filling in more.

I think a field of glosso on the left side is a great idea, with some 'boulders' mixed in...i think i will give it a shot.

as for elves..are there any green shrimp? Perhaps I could fashion little hats and attach them to their heads.
Not sure about their baking skills...

http://www.planetinverts.com/Green%20Shrimp.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Pri
Planted Member

Using Anubias for the tree is a Great Idea...and this tree is unique...Keep it up...

My planted tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2076-Pri.html
My Cichlid tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2075-Pri.html
My DIY project Journal https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...y-project.html
My Betta Pico https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...nted-pico.html
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Rcsshrimper is selling some of those green ones, the ones he has are REALLY green, they would be sooooo awesome, unfortunately they are out of my budget lol.

Looks like some cherries for me, doesn't stay with the theme but atleast the red color will really pop.

I have definitely decided to go with a field of glosso with 'boulders' on the left hand side

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Neat concept, I like it.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
Rcsshrimper is selling some of those green ones, the ones he has are REALLY green, they would be sooooo awesome, unfortunately they are out of my budget lol.

Looks like some cherries for me, doesn't stay with the theme but atleast the red color will really pop.
Add in some green felt hats and they'll fit right in

Seriously though, I think the red cherries will look better as a contrast, maybe find some green fish like green eye, green fire or green neon tetras to fit in for the theme.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
i think rathburni bloodfin tetras would be a nice fish to add.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
LOL, I just noticed the little "doorway" at the base of the tree. That's great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode