55 Gal Apisto tank (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 Gal Apisto tank (56k warning)

So this is my first post on here, thought I would share my tank.

I had a 10 gal planted that I played with for a year and a half. Found a deal on craigslist for a 55 so I decided it was time to upgrade.

Let me know what you think!

55G
PH-6.5
Hardness- 3 degrees (the damn flora base keeps this LOW...have to add alkaline buffer to keep it above 2)
Temp 78
DIY co2 with powerhead reactor
2/65w compact florescent lights

Plants- Cobomba, Amazon Sword, Narrowleaf Chain Sword, Stargrass, some Anubius on the wood, and an unidentified lily pad like plant

When I first got it, it was a mess as you can see. Was home to a common pleco and a single rainbow fish whom I was able to bring to my lfs.

Some playing around with the hardscape after breaking it down.

This was the first arrangement with the plants out of my 10 gal.

Ordered a bunch of plants....perhaps too much

Cut down on the plants a bit.

The final and current arrangement.

The inhabitants:

My mystery apisto....have not been able to properly identify.

There is a school of 8 marble hatchets. These are neat fish but I will likely replace them with something a little more active and curious like tetras because they are very timid and don't add much to the tank.

Pair of German Blue Rams. The Apistos are bullying the Rams so they will probably go back to lfs or into the 10 gal.

3 angels.....they are probably gonna go as well... I like them alot but they are only going to get bigger and are already messing with all the other fish.

Pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides

The male displaying for the camera

Clown Face Pleco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
do you get alot of issues having that many dwarf cichlids in a 55g?

looks good btw

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #39
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

I have spoken at length with many people regarding this. I know people that have a few different kinds of apistos and rams together with no issue, and this prompted me to try the same. My apistos get along fine but they also gang up on the rams. I think the rams will be coming out and the only other apistos I would add would be a female or two cacatuoides. I may try taking out the blue apisto first and see how the rams do with the cacatuoides as he doesn'm seem to mind them as much.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Traded the Rams with a friend last night for a shoal of silvertip tetras. EXACTLY the dimension I was looking for. Their curious, active personalities makes things very interesting. Very funny little fish, and very ballsy!

I like my first setup with the most plants the best. I think I will try and rescape in the next week or so. May try a different piece of wood.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
Following along.

You should have been fine with the rams and apisto as the apisto is cave spawning and the rams are open area. I have a setup like yours going on in my 75 with 5 rams, a mystery apisto, and a pair of agazzai apistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode