120-Gallon Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
120-Gallon Planted Tank

Hello everyone, this is going to be a journal on my 120-gallon planted tank. I set the tank up last Wednesday. Many things are looking good but many are not. My Blyxa Japonica, S. Repens, Banana plants, Vesuvius, and Crypts have melted. I have already seen new growth in the S.repens and banana plants. Something started growing on the wood. I don't know what it is and if I should get rid of it. I have started cycling the tank with ammonia three days ago. The water is still really cloudy from the beginning. I have already bought Purigen and other stuff but the water just doesn't clear up. The Narrow Leaf Java Fern and Bolbitis have started to develop a really dark color. Anubias has been getting a lot of debris on its leaves. The Rotala H'ra(on the right side) are not straight up, they are falling onto each other. Also, the Rotala on the middle of the tank, I bought them as being Rotundifolia 'red'. I planted them yesterday and they don't show any red. Help on any of these aspects and any other comments would be highly appreciated. I have included pictures of the tank.

Plants:
Ludwigia sp red
Bacopa Caroliniana
Rotala Rotundifolia 'red'
Star Grass
S. Repens
Banana Plant
Anubias nana and one other I don't know the name
Alternanthera Rosanervig
Alternanthera Reinickii 'mini'
Crypt Wendtii 'red'
Crypt Wendtii 'Brown'
Crypt Wendtii 'Bronze'
Crypt Petchii
Blyxa Japonica
Vesuvius
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Microsorum Ishikawa Island
Rotala H'ra
Bolbitis Heudelotii

Equipment
2 Fluval 48" 3.0 fixtures
Fluval Fx4 canister filter
2 Hydor Koralia 1150
2 Eheim 200w heater
Marineland 120-gallon tank (60 x 18 x 26)
Majesty Stand
Seachem Flourite
River Rocks
Manzanita Driftwood

Water Changes: Every Friday
Temp: 73F
Dosage:
Excel 12ml/day
Flourish 10ml/3 days
Potassium 20ml/3 days
Iron 12ml/3 days
Root Tabs
Lighting: 2 hours sunrise, 10 hours of daylight, 2 hours sunset
pH 6.8
KH 2
GH 4

Thanks

Last edited by GustavoMoura; 08-13-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You finally started a journal! Looks like a good start, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Regards,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
You finally started a journal! Looks like a good start, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Regards,
Phil
It was thanks to your comment. That was the first time I realized that there were journals. Thanks!
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sneak Peak of inside stand...
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Good to see another 120G on the board!

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Expect some bumps and bruises along the way.

It takes some time to get everything in balance.

Will be following. Subscribed!

------------------
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, @Greggz, your tank looks amazing. The plants are just stunning! I hope mine get to look as good.

Bump: Also, if anyone has any fish suggestion, please feel free to comment. I really want a nice cleanup crew. No snails tho.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
For a clean up crew, i'd go with a ton of otos (like 10 or 12). Stockingwise, i want to see some Altums.

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not a bad idea, but I think I will be going with smaller fish because I want to keep shrimp. Like a really large school and some larger colorful fish.

Bump: Could someone also let me know what to do with the Rotala, they are falling onto each other?
Thanks!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys, I am very worried about the Rotala H'ra and the Bolbitis in my tank as they are my favorite. The Rotala are kind of falling onto each other and "melting" from the bottom up. The Bolbitis as really lost its color and is with very dark "melting" leaves. Could this be a cause of not enough light because of cloudiness? I have included pictures for reference. Please help.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys, this is just an update on the tank.
The water got really cloudy after I planted more plants last Friday. The water has started to get clearer now. But not much. Still can't see the other side of the tank.
The fungus on the wood started to grow really fast.
New growth on S. Repens is visible now.
Water parameters:
ph - 6.6
kh - 1
gh - 4
ammonia - 4ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 0ppm
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your parameters look exactly the way they should at this time in the tank's life cycle. Even the fungus on the wood and cloudiness of the water are natural and expected. Keep up with your normal routine and things will work themselves out in time. Everything's looking great to me.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 04-19-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: x
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds good. In the future, I plan to do water changes and maintenance every Friday. Should I do that right now or should I wait for the ammonia and nitrite to convert to nitrate?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would start your regular maintenance regimen now and be consistent. If you're getting that much ammonia now there's a good chance you'll continue getting it and the tank will cycle well. You may not see nitrate since the plants should suck it up. Normally plants will suck up ammonia too, but since they're new and pretty small I don't think there's enough mass to take it all up. That's actually kind of a good thing as it's letting you know your filters and plants are maturing as the ammonia goes down.

Keep this in the back of your head: we do water changes to remove dissolved and particulate organic matter (food, feces, and debris) to reduce the probability of algae. Regular filter maintenance and tank cleaning are the name of the game.

Regards,
Phil
Greggz and Greggz like this.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys, it has been a long time since I last updated. The tank has been set up for almost 6 weeks now, and it is thanks to @mgeorges that I have finally got great gh, kh, and ph levels. ph is 7.4, kh is 3, and gh is 6. The only issue now will be maintaining these constant. Summer has finally begun and the temperature is getting really high. I really want my temperature to be 72F, as I want to keep hillstream loaches but it has been reaching over 80F these days. Is there a simple way to manage that? I had a bad green water bloom so I reduced the photoperiod to 2 hours of sunrise, 7 of intense light, and 2 of sunset. The water is now mostly clear. Now there are only algae on the rocks and glass. I believe that is because of a lack of phosphorus, as it is the only nutrient I am not dosing. Last week I added the fish I had from my 20-gallon tank and they are doing amazingly. The plants have been growing very well and I already had to cut the ludwigia and bacopa. All the fungi from the wood are gone and there is only some dead, I believe because it was green and is now brown, algae. I ordered 60 Amano shrimp and 20 Red Cherry shrimp from FlipAquatics and they were shipped today on Wednesday. How should I prepare for them? I have set up two drip acclimating systems. When adding them to the bucket, should I add Prime to minimize the ammonia burn? Any recommendations?
Greggz, Greggz, Spiffyfish and 5 others like this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can probably hook up some fans close to your tank to solve the temperature problem. Could use either spare pc fans or Amazon might have some kits

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode