Iwagumi Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iwagumi Spec V

So my original spec V build turned into a mess when I got an infestation of baldderwart and hair algae. Yuk.🤢

Restarted by baking or boiling all rocks and substrait and bleaching the tank and all equipment. Total reset. This time I'm only using tissue cultured plants.

I've been more and more interested in Iwagumi tanks over the years, and I'm tired of the cluttered look of my tanks over the years.

I scaped the tank with the help of my wife, and I think it turned out really well

Just using Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo”[censored]and Pogostemon helferi. Thinking of doing a moss backdrop behind the father rock (the mountain, as we are calling it) covering the whole black plastic wall. I think it would look like a lush jungle behind/surounding the mountain. Thoughts?

So, anyway, here's day 1.

Cheers!
Jared

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Science Seuss; 04-16-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Couple of basic things I noticed. Iwagumi is generally odd number of stones. It's suppose to be the randomness of nature, even numbers are usually more structured and man-made.

Also you don't want you biggest stone all the way to the side. Generally the biggest stone is the focal and you want that more in the middle off-center and the smaller stones to support it (not physically touching it, just to work with it).

You could do what you want, but by definition that is more what an iwagumi about.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Couple of basic things I noticed. Iwagumi is generally odd number of stones. It's suppose to be the randomness of nature, even numbers are usually more structured and man-made.

Also you don't want you biggest stone all the way to the side. Generally the biggest stone is the focal and you want that more in the middle off-center and the smaller stones to support it (not physically touching it, just to work with it).

You could do what you want, but by definition that is more what an iwagumi about.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm keeping it as is, but I appreciate the feedback.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Seuss View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm keeping it as is, but I appreciate the feedback.

Also, with the shape and display of the tank, I wanted the focal stone toward the "left" end, since that side acts like the ba k of my tank (as it often is toward the back in many scapes). I am going to make a few changes and post them soon.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post

I'm going by the LFS today and getting one or two more rocks to try something a little different. Maybe flip the mountain around 180 degrees and move it towards the center, add a supporting smaller rock to the flatter side, and move the two rocks forming the cave over to the left side of it. We'll see!

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hope these ideas help with placement of stones buddy. Good luckClick image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	846281Click image for larger version

Name:	12800000e6f00ecdbcea.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	846289Click image for larger version

Name:	iwagumi-aquascape-elegant-with-iwagumi-style-of-iwagumi-aquascape.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	846297

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Retry... better?

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump... feedback please.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Bump... feedback please.

The first arrangement didn't feel iwagumi. it was all chaos instead of tranquility.

second one is much better.

I feel like iwagumi has a strong rock focus in the middle with openness/negative space on the edges. the hill/cliff you created towards the left end doesn't feel right. but you have full rights to do whatever you wanna do.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
the hill/cliff you created towards the left end doesn't feel right. but you have full rights to do whatever you wanna do.
That slope will flatten out in no time, especially with the dimensions of the spec v. Think "flat tank syndrome". If there were lava rocks or some other structure under all that substrate, that would be a different story.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
The first arrangement didn't feel iwagumi. it was all chaos instead of tranquility.

second one is much better.

I feel like iwagumi has a strong rock focus in the middle with openness/negative space on the edges. the hill/cliff you created towards the left end doesn't feel right. but you have full rights to do whatever you wanna do.
You're the second person to say that, but I like it. I might make a slight angle adjustment at most. I really like the look of a cliff with a plateau above, and I feel the contrasting angle of the flat cliff balances the monotony of the angled main rocks. Finally, the Spec V has a lower filter intake hole that I've covered with tape, and I like that it's covered. Thanks for the feedback!

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
That slope will flatten out in no time, especially with the dimensions of the spec v. Think "flat tank syndrome". If there were lava rocks or some other structure under all that substrate, that would be a different story.
It's held in place by the rocks the the right.

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It's held in place by the rocks the the right.

Unless that rock touches the bottom and both sides of the glass, the substrate will find it's way around those rocks, eventually. It might not flatten completely out but enough to uproot most of those plants up there. Aggressive sloping always needs support. I've been there myself... with that exact same tank.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
Unless that rock touches the bottom and both sides of the glass, the substrate will find it's way around those rocks, eventually. It might not flatten completely out but enough to uproot most of those plants up there. Aggressive sloping always needs support. I've been there myself... with that exact same tank.
I hear you. I'll support those sides better. I still want to assure that plants can grow up them. Thanks!

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
If the slope stays up like it is, then I don't get the scape, because it puts all the focus on the sloped area and not on the rock arrangement. Do you understand that? Personally I would completely get rid of the rock and the slope on the left and just use the 5 rocks in the arrangement that to me looks good.

Right now to me it looks like your have a rock arrangement and then for some reason your holding up the left side with another rock. (which you might be doing for some reason to do with the Fluval but it doesn't change how I or someone else would view it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode