Grobbins 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank (Updated filtration Dec 2020) - Page 72 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2945Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1066 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I use them exclusively. I like that they are dead silent, they come with the quick connect valves in-line (so you can have them anywhere), they are very trustworthy, last a long time, they are super simple and parts are easy to find.

Only 2 downsides I see are 1) flow is far less than ideal, they are incredibly weak and 2) The bright green tubing and intake / output are very sore on the eyes.

@Grobbins48 what size cerges are you using? Any issues with bubbles escaping? It's a toss up what reactor setup I want to go with

Also, now you have me looking at the Fluval line up of filters lol
I am using the 10" housing with a bleeder valve on top. I have had no issues quickly dropping the pH. I run about 40psi into the reactor. The 10" housing was really to ensure easy fit under my cabinet. I am sure a few bubbles pass through, but nothing that has bothered me. My tank is sprite by the end of the day anyways with all the pearling
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1067 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I am using the 10" housing with a bleeder valve on top.
Any photos / designs info on your setup?

I'm a Cerges noob as I've only ever built Griggs style reactors. I'm thinking of swapping over (currently weighing out the benefits vs each other)....

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that was a great update post above. Good info on the lights and some good photo's!
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #1068 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
While we are the topic of filters, why didn't you like about the Sun Sun in comparison to the Fluval??
nightster and Quagulator like this.

---
---

post #1069 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
While we are the topic of filters, why didn't you like about the Sun Sun in comparison to the Fluval??
I'm curious on this as well... I have a Marineland C-220 which the SunSun's are based off (I think???) sitting in storage and was thinking of using it to solely run a reactor.
Greggz likes this.

post #1070 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Quote:
I'm curious on this as well... I have a Marineland C-220 which the SunSun's are based off (I think???) sitting in storage and was thinking of using it to solely run a reactor.
A few things...

The quick disconnect always threw a lot of water out, even after closing it. This water would then enter the filter head, and actually would be held in the filter head. After removing the filter from under the tank for cleaning I would need to tilt the head of the filter and drain out the water.

The UV is something I used a lot in the beginning, but probably have not turned on in the past 18 months. The bulb itself was a bit frustrating to work around, as I would need to lift the head completely off (vertically) before tilting to the side. The made the water in the head even more annoying.

Now, what I really like about the Fluval that the SunSun did not have was the ability to pull the mechanical filtration out without removing all the bio media. There is a vertical section that is the entire height of the filter that holds the foam. This is super convenient and easy to clean. The bio media side also has the media cages easy to remove with a central red bar that allows every cage to be removed togeher. Pretty cool.

Downside of the fluval is the low amount of media it can hold relative to its flow rate. The SunSun you can pack a TON of media into it. I am willing to live with this one, as I actually like the smaller size of the Fluval for moving in and out of the stand. The lower amount of media is just soemthing to be aware of.

Finally- I do not believe the SunSun brand is UL listed... That is something that the risk management side of my brain did not like once I learned that. Not saying something DID go wrong, but if it did, that would not be good... All done with those filters now though!

I did keep the SunSun spray bars and filter intakes with surface skimmers. IMO, those are some of the best in the game (if not going with glass).

The above may not be deal breakers for some, but for me, they just kinda felt cheap as well. The Fluval just feels quality, and for my two display tanks (which is all I have) I wanted to feel good about all my equipment.

Bump:
Quote:

I'm a Cerges noob as I've only ever built Griggs style reactors. I'm thinking of swapping over (currently weighing out the benefits vs each other)....

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that was a great update post above. Good info on the lights and some good photo's!
Let me see what I can find in my pictures, and I'll get back to you on that one.

|

post #1071 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Quag here is picture of mine.

I brought the top of the filter and small piece of filter and CO2 hose to the hardware store. The parts are all there it's just finding what you need for your hose. A guy in the plumbing area helped me gather up the parts in a few minutes.

Quagulator and Grobbins48 like this.

---
---
post #1072 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 05:18 PM
Algae Grower

Liking the clean look of your cabinet, Greg.

Also, still jealous of the T5s! As you know, one day I will join the T5 train.

Here are a couple of pics of the 20" Cerges I built and connected yesterday. I have it connected to a dedicated FX4. Some would say this might be overkill for a 90g "hardly planted" mess of a tank but I'm all about overkill!

Still haven't decided between the two Dwyer flow meters or a Porter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201203_105623_1607015872194.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	905691  

Name:	20201203_105708_1607015882308.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	905693  

Greggz, Quagulator and Grobbins48 like this.
post #1073 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

For any readers; did the pics in my previous post show up? Are they sideways? Sorry for the questions here but I'm on my phone and not overly familiar with the formatting the site has for phone browsers.
Greggz likes this.
post #1074 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

I brought the top of the filter and small piece of filter and CO2 hose to the hardware store. The parts are all there it's just finding what you need for your hose. A guy in the plumbing area helped me gather up the parts in a few minutes.

This is the exact same setup I have running. Only change is mine is 10" and it is a clear body vs. blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferRusso View Post
For any readers; did the pics in my previous post show up? Are they sideways? Sorry for the questions here but I'm on my phone and not overly familiar with the formatting the site has for phone browsers.
yes, pics showed up, but they were sideways.

Good looking setup under that tank though!

|

post #1075 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:

This is the exact same setup I have running. Only change is mine is 10" and it is a clear body vs. blue.

Quote:
yes, pics showed up, but they were sideways.

Good looking setup under that tank though!
Sideways? Kind of a little like me! 🙂

Thanks for the compliment. I would have liked to go with a clear housing but couldn't find one that was 20" with 1" in/out that didn't cost 2x's as much as the blue one.

Going to have to figure out the pic thing on Chrome on my phone. Or maybe use Tapatalk if it's available and decent to use here.
post #1076 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment. I would have liked to go with a clear housing but couldn't find one that was 20" with 1" in/out that didn't cost 2x's as much as the blue one.

Going to have to figure out the pic thing on Chrome on my phone. Or maybe use Tapatalk if it's available and decent to use here.
FWIW I use Tapatalk on my phone most of the time. They host most of my photos as well. I find it well worth it. I even pay the $1/ month to have no ads and be able to post up to 9 pictures at once. The only thing is the for sale forums do not work on Tapatalk, which for me is probably a good think anyways! Less impulse purchases late at night!
Greggz likes this.

|

post #1077 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:

FWIW I use Tapatalk on my phone most of the time. They host most of my photos as well. I find it well worth it. I even pay the $1/ month to have no ads and be able to post up to 9 pictures at once. The only thing is the for sale forums do not work on Tapatalk, which for me is probably a good think anyways! Less impulse purchases late at night!<a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png" border="0" alt="" title="Devil" >:-)</a>
Cool, thanks for the info. Good to know and will be downloading the app momentarily. I may even splurge on myself and get the subscription!

BTW - you're a better man than me if you only have impulse buying issues late at night! &#x1f609;
post #1078 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am using the 10" housing with a bleeder valve on top. I have had no issues quickly dropping the pH. I run about 40psi into the reactor. The 10" housing was really to ensure easy fit under my cabinet. I am sure a few bubbles pass through, but nothing that has bothered me. My tank is sprite by the end of the day anyways with all the pearling
10 x 4.5" ??

@Greggz is your 20" housing x 2.5" or x 4.5" ??

Thanks

post #1079 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

FWIW - I'll be running the 20" x 4.5" through a RFG. It's running now without CO2 and I'll getting quite a nice flow. I'll let everyone the results once the CO2 kicks on.

The attached pics are 3D printed RFGs that I had my daughter's boyfriend print for me. One is for a 3/4" Loc Line and the other is 1".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201203_115940_1607019414462.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	905695  

Name:	20201203_120459_1607019424929.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	905697  

Name:	20201203_120331_1607019446311.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	905699  

Quagulator likes this.
post #1080 of 1114 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
10 x 4.5" ??

@Greggz is your 20" housing x 2.5" or x 4.5" ??

Thanks
Mine is 5.12". Pentek 150166 3/4" #20 VIH Blue Filter Housing with Valve and Pressure Relief.
Quagulator likes this.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode