Over the weekend I finally got to something that I have been wanting to do since last year; remove the SunSun filter and pre filter canister, and replace it with a Fluval 407. The SunSun setup is what has been powering the DIY cerges reactor this whole time- since the tank was the 55 gallon. Last year some of you may recall I grabbed my first Fluval 407 to see how it would work out. I really enjoyed this filter the past year; quiet, reliable, and super easy to service. I like that the mechanical filtration can easily come out- actually everything is super easy to remove!
Replacing everything went really smooth. Most of the bio media fit right from the SunSun to the 407. The top of the SunSun did have purigen in it, so that is now pulled out. Not sure if it was really doing anything for me anyways (lots of discussion about that earlier in the journal). The CO2 reactor is performing great as well. I honestly did not touch the flow meter- settings are exactly the same. pH drop has been nearly identical, after the swap, so pretty pleased with that. I have things set that one CO2 tank is powering both my 75 and 40 gallon tanks. The Dwyer flow meters control the amount of CO2, and I use my pH controller basically as a pH meter, and a fail safe for when my CO2 tank runs out and my cheap regulator give me EOTD.
I also removed the SunSun from my 40 breeder and threw a 307 on that tank. I would have liked the 407 just for the size, but the flow, even throttled back, would have been just too much. I need to throttle down the 307 as it is!
Tank health overall has been great. New batch of Micros the other day, but same recipe as before. Macro still unchanged and frontloading. Now that it is winter time, I may play around with Macros a bit as I still get the annoying GDA by the end of the week. I think part of that may also be the organic buildup from 13 larger rainbows, among other fish!
Maintenance each week is more than just the water change. I try to always do a vacuum of the carpet- it is amazing how much gunk and funk it hold in just one week. Also around the crypts and the barclaya- tons of gunk flowing out when syphoning.
For lighting I have all the same bulbs running, but just swapped positioning on two of them so on ramp up and ramp down, the actinic is balanced out by the 3000K, vs. those bulbs overpowering flora bulbs. Little things, but make the tank nicer for me when sitting by it all day in my office.
Not much else to report right now, so here are some photos to enjoy!
Most of the bows here