Grobbins 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank (Updated dosing 2-17-2020) - Page 65 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2601Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #961 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
One thing to note is it seems the barclaya longifolia bulbs are making a resurgence. @Greggz it must have been 6 months ago I got these from you? This is the largest growth I have seen so far. Still small, but looking hopeful!
Isn't that crazy? Barclaya is an interesting one.

Twice now I have had it go into hibernation like that.......then suddenly reappear. Does not seem to like sudden or large changes. I can tell you when it gets happy and starts sending out long leaves, it's just a solid steady no drama grower.

Hopefully it keeps going and gets there for you.
Immortal1 and Grobbins48 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 11:51 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Yeah, another happy Barclaya
What I find a bit funny about this quoted post is the names of those who "liked" it.

Burr740 - who gave me my original plant.

GreggZ - who received a plant from me which was from Burr740

Grobbins48 - who received a plant from Greggz which was from me that came from Burr740.

Ok, my Monday chuckle is done.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #963 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
What I find a bit funny about this quoted post is the names of those who "liked" it.

Burr740 - who gave me my original plant.

GreggZ - who received a plant from me which was from Burr740

Grobbins48 - who received a plant from Greggz which was from me that came from Burr740.

Ok, my Monday chuckle is done.
Nothing like a great, great grandchild finally getting its act together!

|

post #964 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Things have been going well overall with the tank. Can't seem to shake the glass GDA, but tank is generally happy these days.

As I look at the tank and already think towards summer and balancing time with other, socially distant, activities, I wonder to myself what I want to do with the tank the next few months. This may be crazy, but I feel I have too many plant species, and that I want a simpler overall look and feel to the tank right for the time being.

Here is where some thoughts and feedback from the community would be great. Simple question:

What would you do to this tank to make it not look as much of a flower stand right now?

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the flower stand look, just for the time being maybe something simpler, yet still impactful!

Anyways, enough rambling. Hope this grabs some good ideas and starts some fun conversations!

Greggz, LRJ, Quagulator and 2 others like this.

|

post #965 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:06 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Things have been going well overall with the tank. Can't seem to shake the glass GDA, but tank is generally happy these days.

As I look at the tank and already think towards summer and balancing time with other, socially distant, activities, I wonder to myself what I want to do with the tank the next few months. This may be crazy, but I feel I have too many plant species, and that I want a simpler overall look and feel to the tank right for the time being.

Here is where some thoughts and feedback from the community would be great. Simple question:

What would you do to this tank to make it not look as much of a flower stand right now?

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the flower stand look, just for the time being maybe something simpler, yet still impactful!

Anyways, enough rambling. Hope this grabs some good ideas and starts some fun conversations!

Change water, vacuum substrate, add ferts I think it looks great as is! But, I can understand your question. I also have too many species of plants. At the moment I am really looking to see what does the best. Obviously I can grow the $#!^ out of several of them - just need to figure out the rest of the top 10 so to speak.
In your case, I suspect the same would apply - which are the best 10-12 growing plants? Make bigger clumps of those 10-12 groups. For now I think I will stick with the 25-30 groups in mine LOL

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #966 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Funny I am trying to get even MORE flower stand, and you are going the other way!!

It all depends on what extreme you want to go to.

Like Linn said, pick your favorites then boost up the groups. Mow them down hard, then it's a long time between trims. And get rid of the real weeds like Ambulia. Turn down the lights a bit, and growth will be even slower.

Or get more dramatic, and get rid of most of the stems and add a bunch of slow growers like buce/crypts/swords/etc.

Either way, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
LRJ, Immortal1, Quagulator and 2 others like this.

---
---
post #967 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

What I would do might be different than your objective, but I would go with one foreground / carpeting plant. Doing that and placing some rocks midground separating the background stems would bring it all together. Using multiple foreground plants will always make it look less scape and more "flower standish" Not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL.

Tank looks great.
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

post #968 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
What I would do might be different than your objective, but I would go with one foreground / carpeting plant. Doing that and placing some rocks midground separating the background stems would bring it all together. Using multiple foreground plants will always make it look less scape and more "flower standish" Not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL.

Tank looks great.
You know the foreground is what has been bothering me the most I think. The Monte Carlo is not thriving on the left. I am not sure what to go with.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Micro sword or something might be cool if it stays small enough?
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

|

post #969 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The tank looks great overall. The back half looks good, leave as is, but the front half could be improved, I feel there's too many different plants. Also, I feel there needs to be a smoother transition from the background to the foreground, right now it almost seems like there's a straight line separating the two. Break that line up by inserting some curves in the landscaping. Experiment and try different carpeting plants and see what works best for your tank.

post #970 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
You know the foreground is what has been bothering me the most I think. The Monte Carlo is not thriving on the left. I am not sure what to go with.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Micro sword or something might be cool if it stays small enough?
I'm surprised about the MC. Anything different on the left? The micro sword would work or don't know how you feel about good old glosso?

post #971 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Micro sword should work... It get's everywhere eventually and is quite a task to thin out. Here's mine from awhile back:

You can look at hygro compact, blyxa, s. repens, hair grass, chain sword, pogo helferi, lobelia cardinalis, hygro araguaia, dwarf crypts, pogo gayi, gratiola viscidula, Ammania bonsai etc. to help soften the transition to the background plants.
Greggz, Immortal1 and Asteroid like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #972 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Micro sword should work... It get's everywhere eventually and is quite a task to thin out. Here's mine from awhile back:

You can look at hygro compact, blyxa, s. repens, hair grass, chain sword, pogo helferi, lobelia cardinalis, hygro araguaia, dwarf crypts, pogo gayi, gratiola viscidula, Ammania bonsai etc. to help soften the transition to the background plants.
Wow that is thick!

Do you know how the micro sword would be vs. a chain sword? I am floating that idea right now. Not sure if hair grass would be substantial enough? But perhaps...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Funny I am trying to get even MORE flower stand, and you are going the other way!!

It all depends on what extreme you want to go to.

Like Linn said, pick your favorites then boost up the groups. Mow them down hard, then it's a long time between trims. And get rid of the real weeds like Ambulia. Turn down the lights a bit, and growth will be even slower.

Or get more dramatic, and get rid of most of the stems and add a bunch of slow growers like buce/crypts/swords/etc.

Either way, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
You know... the Ambulia is one I wrestle with. It grows absolutely fantastic in this tank- I have about 20-30 stems of it right now. That said, ever two week I need to rip it up and start over, which does get a bit tiring- Just grows sooo fast!

Light is defiantly lower right now with the 4 bulb combo I run most of the day. That said... I may have ordered a few new blue and purple bulbs this week... Should be here within the next week or so!

I also am really enjoying watching your transition and what you do with some of the new plants! Collecting new species is a blast!
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

|

post #973 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I've been grueling with the idea of how much i'm spending on my tank now vs when things go back to normal and I'll be busy again

do you take a lot of time for tank maintenance? i've spent some $ and time now trying to automate as much as possible so that when I go back to being busy the tank won't suffer a ton. water changes, feeding, dosing

The ambulia looks beautiful but yeah if it's a higher growing plant then it'll be hard to keep up with.
excited to see the direction the tank takes
Grobbins48 likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #974 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You know... the Ambulia is one I wrestle with. It grows absolutely fantastic in this tank- I have about 20-30 stems of it right now. That said, ever two week I need to rip it up and start over, which does get a bit tiring- Just grows sooo fast!
I had Ambulia for some time.

Like you, just grew like mad, couldn't slow it down.

Eventually I pulled it. I try to balance the amount of weeds like ambulia with other slower/medium growers, and it just got to be too much.
Grobbins48 likes this.

---
---
post #975 of 982 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I've been grueling with the idea of how much i'm spending on my tank now vs when things go back to normal and I'll be busy again

do you take a lot of time for tank maintenance? i've spent some $ and time now trying to automate as much as possible so that when I go back to being busy the tank won't suffer a ton. water changes, feeding, dosing

The ambulia looks beautiful but yeah if it's a higher growing plant then it'll be hard to keep up with.
excited to see the direction the tank takes
I have taken a bit more time and care these past couple of months of being home all the time. That said, now that the weather is breaking, I can get to other projects/ activities around the house. I know this will slow me down with the tank through the summer (happens every year), and then I pick it back up more intense in the fall. May be different this year, who knows?

I am fairly automated, and water changes are quite quick.

I am between Hairgrass (regular or dwarf) and Micro Sword right now for the carpet. I have done Dwarf Mini Hairgrass before and it grew wonderfully!

As to the scape, I have some more stones, and can go a bit more island style perhaps? Larger groups in the back that can also taper taller to shorter and transition better into a foreground.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode