Grobbins 55 Soon to Be 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank - Page 41 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #601 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good, but I'd recommend verifying the length of the Sunblasters with the cord coming out of the end. Using plywood pieces to support the canopy onto the tank frame decreases the open length distance. On my canopy I had to remove the supporting wood pieces and replace with inverted 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" long aluminum angle iron pieces to be able to fit LED fixtures. You may be fine, but better to find out now if there's a problem rather than later on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Looks good, but I'd recommend verifying the length of the Sunblasters with the cord coming out of the end. Using plywood pieces to support the canopy onto the tank frame decreases the open length distance. On my canopy I had to remove the supporting wood pieces and replace with inverted 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" long aluminum angle iron pieces to be able to fit LED fixtures. You may be fine, but better to find out now if there's a problem rather than later on.
Thanks Ken, very good point. The daisy chain is what makes the fit a bit tight. Those plugs have the stiff coupling on them, however it does just 'fit'. In an ideal world the lights would be hard wire daisy chained, however I think I can make this work for simplicity.

The ends of the hood sit outside of the tank covering the trim, so I get a full run of the inside of the tank. I could have made the hood an inch longer (ID is currently just under 50 inches) to accommodate, with some sort of trim to avoid spillover light, though I think this will work well.

Appreciate the input, because that would have been a huge miss!
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #603 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Canopy looking great!

Love the use of the Kreg's pocket hole jig.

What are you going to do for doors on the openings??
Grobbins48 and Ken Keating1 like this.

---
---

post #604 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Canopy looking great!

Love the use of the Kreg's pocket hole jig.

What are you going to do for doors on the openings??
Thanks Gregg.

For the doors, I am going to attempt to make them. I have the router bit to make all the cuts, so we will see how they come out!

Here is what I'll be using. I'll take any advice you have to give!

Craftsman 2 pc. Ogee Stile & Rail Router Bit

Greggz, ChrisX and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #605 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Thanks Gregg.

For the doors, I am going to attempt to make them. I have the router bit to make all the cuts, so we will see how they come out!

When I built mine, I ended up ordering the doors. But I wanted raised panel doors, which would have been a lot of work to make. In your case, you probably want to match the lower cabinet.

You use the doors a lot more than you might think. Daily feedings, picking out any floating leaves, etc. So I went with lift up hinges. Makes them work as a "flipper" door. Lift up, and the door stays in place lifted up.

https://www.hardwaresource.com/lift-...partments.html
Ken Keating1 and Gillionaire like this.

---
---
post #606 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
When I built mine, I ended up ordering the doors. But I wanted raised panel doors, which would have been a lot of work to make. In your case, you probably want to match the lower cabinet.

You use the doors a lot more than you might think. Daily feedings, picking out any floating leaves, etc. So I went with lift up hinges. Makes them work as a "flipper" door. Lift up, and the door stays in place lifted up.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for with hinges.

I may actually just router doors with a round end to match the bottom. That is a good idea and quite simple, single piece construction. I'll need to see if I have enough scrap!

|

post #607 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks Gregg.

Make sure that you design them so there is no light leakage. If you are viewing the tank at night, you probably don't want that.

You might be able to do inset doors that swing out and have an inner "bib" to block the light.

post #608 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Do you have a picture you can share of the hinges on your "flipper" doors? My open up but don't stay open (PITA).

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillionaire View Post
Do you have a picture you can share of the hinges on your "flipper" doors? My open up but don't stay open (PITA).
NVM you provided a link! Doh!
Ken Keating1 likes this.
post #609 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Make sure that you design them so there is no light leakage. If you are viewing the tank at night, you probably don't want that.

You might be able to do inset doors that swing out and have an inner "bib" to block the light.
Good thought- I'll need to think this one through on how to prevent light leaking out.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

|

post #610 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

Another note on the canopy - I had to do some last-minute "engineering" on mine, as the wire feet for the light fixture (Nicrew LED+) sat on the edge of tank rim. I had to router out the frame of the canopy to allow it to sit flush on the tank rim. You may run into the same issue, depending on how your lights sit on the tank.
post #611 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
So the 75 project will be quite the undertaking. I have plenty of decisions to make, such as...

What type of scape, including wood/ rock, etc.?

Exactly what to do with lighting?

Should I get an inline heater?

Black or frosted background?

Timing and transitioning from the 55?

Reuse the BDBS from the 55, supplemented with some new?

I am sure there are other things to think of as well. I would also like to make a canopy for this tank. The design is pending on the lighting and how much, if any at all, cooling I'll need. I figured either way there will be open space in the back for ventilation.

One thought for lighting is to use one Beamswork fixture with two T5HO fixtures. This should give good PAR, but also give some flexibility with coloration. The Beamswork would likely be the 6500K DHL, as it would fit in a canopy (DA FSPEC is a bit longer).

I am excited for where this build will take me, but it is bitter sweet. I'll miss the unique scape of the 55 and will need to challenge myself to do something new with the 75.
Congrats on the new tank.
Its pretty...

post #612 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Some more work on the canopy this evening. Did some sanding and added top trim. Really enjoying the wood work, it's been a while. Only downside is that its 30 outside, and not much warmer in the garage! Bringing the canopy in each night so the glue can cure properly.

I want to add some trim to the side as there is a slight, 1/8 gap between the front face and side. I need to look around and see what would work. I need like a 1/4 or 1/2 inch by 1.5 to 2 inch piece of wood. Then I could mount it to the left and right side, overlapping the gap. I didn't properly account for the size of the piano hinge, so that is why the gap is there.

Not sure I want to add any trim to the bottom... torn right now. I like the crisp, clean look it has the way it is below. Simple.

If I mirror the top trim to the bottom I'll need to raise the whole canopy by 1/2 inch from the rim. I could just add some spacers, not a huge deal, but still unsure. The way it sits now the bottom of the canopy completely covers the rim, and I don't want to lose any more viewing space.

|

post #613 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you have a table saw in addition to the compound miter saw? Thinking 1/4" x 1" strips cut from some scrap wood could be used as corner trim.

post #614 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Grobbins 55 Soon to Be 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank

Great change to the tank journal header!
Greggz likes this.

post #615 of 687 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Do you have a table saw in addition to the compound miter saw? Thinking 1/4" x 1" strips cut from some scrap wood could be used as corner trim.
Good idea. I have access to one, so I'll think this through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Great change to the tank journal header!
I had some pretty good inspiration!

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode