Grobbins 55 Soon to Be 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank - Page 40 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1705Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #586 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
"You're telling me everything in here is alive and growing?!?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
My all time favorite is......................

"That's saltwater.......right?".

Happens almost every single time.
I get these two every time, plus"

"How much work does it take to keep it looking nice?"

And after I give my answer....

"Oh, no way... you mean you have to change the water!?"
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The Sunblaster arrived today, and one critical thing I forgot about was the mounting of it.

Time for a DIY build as a temporary solution.

I must say though, that the color, even with the standard 6500K provided, is much more vivid than my beamswork fixtures. I may grab a couple more of this. And need to build a hood...
Quagulator likes this.

|

post #588 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quick look at some changes coming soon....

|

post #589 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
And the new tank size is??? Don't keep us guessing!!!
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

post #590 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
And the new tank size is??? Don't keep us guessing!!!
I know... I did a good job at hiding the size!

Hint: not too large, but much better for scaping. I suppose I need to bring my skillset to the next level!

|

post #591 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So the 75 project will be quite the undertaking. I have plenty of decisions to make, such as...

What type of scape, including wood/ rock, etc.?

Exactly what to do with lighting?

Should I get an inline heater?

Black or frosted background?

Timing and transitioning from the 55?

Reuse the BDBS from the 55, supplemented with some new?

I am sure there are other things to think of as well. I would also like to make a canopy for this tank. The design is pending on the lighting and how much, if any at all, cooling I'll need. I figured either way there will be open space in the back for ventilation.

One thought for lighting is to use one Beamswork fixture with two T5HO fixtures. This should give good PAR, but also give some flexibility with coloration. The Beamswork would likely be the 6500K DHL, as it would fit in a canopy (DA FSPEC is a bit longer).

I am excited for where this build will take me, but it is bitter sweet. I'll miss the unique scape of the 55 and will need to challenge myself to do something new with the 75.

|

post #592 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You are going to love the extra space.

I would go with 4 x T5HO (surprise!!).

Loads of possibilities. Very much looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I'm guessing Ken K is out shopping today!!!!!

---
---
post #593 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great purchase, I'm sure your going to love the 75G. First thing I would do is change your tank journal title to Grobbins 55 Soon to Be 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank!

It's going to be fun to follow along with your Journal to see the progress. Take your time and enjoy the process of setting up a new tank. Perfect timing with Christmas happening in a little over three weeks. In my household Santa has been know to leave aquarium presents under the tree and none of the other family members seems to recall purchasing that item. Strange how that works out!

@Greggz: Funny, yesterday I spent twenty minutes eyeing the same tank at Petsmart. It would of been quite the coincidence if G48 and I purchased the size tank on the same day, but darn that G48, he had more guts and pulled the trigger first!
Greggz, ipkiss, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

post #594 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post

@Greggz: Funny, yesterday I spent twenty minutes eyeing the same tank at Petsmart. It would of been quite the coincidence if G48 and I purchased the size tank on the same day, but darn that G48, he had more guts and pulled the trigger first!
Still have time to grab it today for $299!

|

post #595 of 707 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 03:53 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
75g is such a nice tank size - not so deep that you can't reach the bottom and a nice 18" depth for more layout options. As for lighting, Radions for the win (lol)
As for a scape - probably more options than I have room to type - looking forward to your decisions.
Now, to figure out how to twist Kens arm a little more from the East side of Iowa...

post #596 of 707 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I loved my 75g! Great tank size. You'll be very happy with the move from the 55g! It is a complete toss up for everything, I know island scapes are popular with the additional depth. Just throwing it out there, but cheap lighting options tend to work best for me. I had $9 shop lights with spiral CFLs on my 75g, super awesome growth.
Grobbins48 and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #597 of 707 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
75g is such a nice tank size - not so deep that you can't reach the bottom and a nice 18" depth for more layout options. As for lighting, Radions for the win (lol)
As for a scape - probably more options than I have room to type - looking forward to your decisions.
Now, to figure out how to twist Kens arm a little more from the East side of Iowa...
You know, the Raidons or AI Prime freshwater versions seems to be the LEDs I would use based on their spectrum. That said, 2 Raidons or 3 AI Prime run around d 6 to $800 right now. Perhaps in the future!

That said, I have some more T5HO fixtures on the way. Looking like I'll be T5HO with just some LED viewing lights (Philliips HUE RGBW for those who have been following along for a while!) inside the hood I will be building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I loved my 75g! Great tank size. You'll be very happy with the move from the 55g! It is a complete toss up for everything, I know island scapes are popular with the additional depth. Just throwing it out there, but cheap lighting options tend to work best for me. I had $9 shop lights with spiral CFLs on my 75g, super awesome growth.
For scape, I know I want to use BDBS, but have been thinking of a hardscape that is island-based. That has always been an aspiration of mine, but will need to think through how the black sand will work/contrast with it. Not 100% there on island, but it's high on the list.
@Greggz I know you at one point had fans inside your hood (been going way back in your journal on the lighting build). If running 4 x T5HO would there be enough heat that I would want a computer fan to exhaust out the side/back?

Also, still like your hydor inline heater? I was thinking of grabbing one, and as @Ken Keating1 suggested, having it appear under the tree in a few weeks!

|

post #598 of 707 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
@Greggz I know you at one point had fans inside your hood (been going way back in your journal on the lighting build). If running 4 x T5HO would there be enough heat that I would want a computer fan to exhaust out the side/back?

Also, still like your hydor inline heater? I was thinking of grabbing one, and as @Ken Keating1 suggested, having it appear under the tree in a few weeks!
Yes I use fans hooked up to an Inkbird controller for cooling. But they are not exhausting out side/back. They are blowing over the surface which cools the water. Only come on when temp hits 80*.

Now that being said, constant exhaust venting might work? I have never tried it.

In any event, who knows if heat will even be an issue for you. I wouldn't address it at all until you were set up and running and see what temps you are getting.

And highly recommend the Hydor in line. Very reliable and being out of the tank is a huge plus. Mine does not run all that often, especially in the summer, as I keep it at 76*.
Grobbins48 likes this.

---
---
post #599 of 707 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
For scape, I know I want to use BDBS, but have been thinking of a hardscape that is island-based. That has always been an aspiration of mine, but will need to think through how the black sand will work/contrast with it. Not 100% there on island, but it's high on the list.

I have used BDBS on all but one of my tanks and highly recommend it! I think rock barriers between the BDBS and pool filter sand are pretty popular as well. I have installed computer fans in my new hood that I am making as well, it isn't particularly hard BUT free handing circles turns out kinda of rough. I would suggest a hole saw.
Grobbins48 likes this.

post #600 of 707 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Starting to get the new canopy going. It will be painted black to match everything else, so I decided to stick with dimensional pine boards. There will be a piano hinge in the middle to open it up, and I'll make two doors for feeding, etc.

Got the basics put together tonight, and so far so good.

Also have a total of five, yes 5, sunblaster nanotech on the way, along with a small assortment of bulbs.

Greggz, burr740, Immortal1 and 5 others like this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode