Grobbins 55 Soon to Be 75 Gallon Rainbowfish Tank - Page 38 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1705Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #556 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks real good. I'm always a sucker for swords, don't know why. I had a "compact" flame sword that stayed small ish low tech, put it in high tech and it out grew the tank in 2 months lol. Hopefully you can manage yours.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks to @Greggz I now have some Hygrophila Corymbosa Compact and Barclaya bulbs in the tank. Very curious to see how they do over the coming weeks.

Did the normal maintenance, and decided to pull out the larger piece of wood to make some more room. The smaller piece still helps with some lines between species.

I also decided to add back the 2nd beamswork light on a limited timer of two hours per day to start. We will see how things do over the next week or two.

The dosing is remaining the same from March still.

Pogo K is rocking!

Overall pretty happy with things.

I am on the lookout for a Fluval 407 in the coming weeks. The large SunSun is just so loud a is really getting annoying, as I sit next to it in my office all day! Trying to see if I can get it better than $199.

And a few pictures to enjoy.

Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by Grobbins48; 11-19-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Some pictures not working and removed
post #558 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank!!!. You have aspiration-inspiring plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Grobbins48 likes this.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -William Shakespeare
Though she be but little, she is fierce. -William Shakespeare

post #559 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ludwigia Cuba has been making a transition the past few weeks. I have been trying to grab pictures every few days.

Day 1:

Here is early on:

Here is a few days ago:

Here is today during water change:

Pretty cool to watch a plant with this drastic of a transition from emerged.

On another note, I also replaced my SunSun 304B with a Fluval 407. So much quieter... so far pretty pleased! I did end up using the intake and spray bar from a SunSun setup- those parts are great IMO.
Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 3 others like this.

|

post #560 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sending a few e mails and I just thought the tank was looking real good tonight, so I figured I would share. Sometimes things just seem right.
Greggz, vvDO, ipkiss and 7 others like this.

|

post #561 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The tank is looking good!
Grobbins48 likes this.

post #562 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:55 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Sweet nighttime pic. Tank is looking great!
Grobbins48 likes this.

post #563 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe it's just my computer, but some of your pics are pixellated, and the others just fine. Odd....
post #564 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Maybe it's just my computer, but some of your pics are pixellated, and the others just fine. Odd....
Two pictures from post 557? I am seeing the same, not sure what happened. Thanks for letting me know, I'll pull those ones out.

|

post #565 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The ludwigia Cuba has made a good transition. Snapped another picture today before a water change.

The bump in the lighting (2hrs at 150, 8 at 80ish) has led to some GDA and GSA on the glass, but nothing else bad so far. I'll keep rocking with just the 2 hrs burst for now.

As my journey in this hobby continues, I find myself wanting more out of my lighting overall. I feel the beamsworks were solid to get me started and are a good light to use to lean, however I think there is much left to be desired from a color perspective.

I keep coming back to the sun blaster nano- but do I want to change things up more than that? I suppose I could start with the sunblaster and a flora bulb paired with one of the beamsworks (probably the 6500K one) and see where that gets me.

My other though is a better quality LED with higher CRI and control, or dive I to T5HO 2 or 4 bulb unit.

Quite undecided- as I want to future proof for a 75 or 120 gallon even.

Would love any input or perspective on different fixtures (but not ones that run me grad...)

All of the cuba stems have transitioned, only some of the emerged leaves/stems left.

Pogo K, of course!

You can see the algae in this picture below:

|

post #566 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
or dive I to T5HO 2 or 4 bulb unit.
T5HO! Come on in, the waters fine!

And that Cuba will get some beautiful red highlights, but it needs a good amount of light to do so. It's a bit of a wild animal, in that it tends to twist and turn a lot. Takes some management to keep it tamed. And a very fast grower and propagator once it's gets going.

---
---
post #567 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

G48, watch out for the T5HO folks, before you know it they’ll be trying to talk you into a larger tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz, Immortal1 and Grobbins48 like this.

post #568 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

And that Cuba will get some beautiful red highlights, but it needs a good amount of light to do so. It's a bit of a wild animal, in that it tends to twist and turn a lot. Takes some management to keep it tamed. And a very fast grower and propagator once it's gets going.
So with the T5- have you ever done measurements of PAR on single bulbs? Not sure how many I would want... I though you may have done this in the past, but cannot remember for certain. I know different bulbs will give different PAR, and I though it ranges from like 30 to 50ish depending on the bulb?

And good to know about the Cuba. It is already branching a ton!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
G48, watch out for the T5HO folks, before you know it they’ll be trying to talk you into a larger tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know... it is a scary thought! I have been resisting for quite some time. Didn't bite on your enabling of purchasing new bows yet, but I am sure I will in time!
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #569 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
So with the T5- have you ever done measurements of PAR on single bulbs? Not sure how many I would want... I though you may have done this in the past, but cannot remember for certain. I know different bulbs will give different PAR, and I though it ranges from like 30 to 50ish depending on the bulb?
The measurements I took were about 2" below the water surface and 10" from the light. The purpose was to show how bulbs can have a wide variance of PAR. If you recall, Giesemann's were beasts, as expected.

But if you decide to go this route, you are welcome to use the PAR meter. On a 55, which is only about 12" wide, two bulbs may be enough. Of course, three or four will provide a lot more punch and color options, but that depends on your goals.
Grobbins48 and Ken Keating1 like this.

---
---
post #570 of 707 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The measurements I took were about 2" below the water surface and 10" from the light. The purpose was to show how bulbs can have a wide variance of PAR. If you recall, Giesemann's were beasts, as expected.

But if you decide to go this route, you are welcome to use the PAR meter. On a 55, which is only about 12" wide, two bulbs may be enough. Of course, three or four will provide a lot more punch and color options, but that depends on your goals.
Yes, I recall now. Thank you, and I may take you up on the offer!

I was thinking to maybe start with two sunblaster nanos, and using two Giesmann's; one being the super flora and the other one the 6500K Tropic.

I can always add a 3rd is my thinking. They seem to be a quite fixture vs. some of the multi bulb fixtures on the bay and amazon.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode